Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[Targeted]No Fee 1st yr. American Express Gold Card 75,000 Bonus Reward Points Signup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Targeted]No Fee 1st yr. American Express Gold Card 75,000 Bonus Reward Points Signup

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2011, 1:40 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles | HHoners
Did you take the name/number of the Rep. I have tried calling multiple times but they all say, I am not eligible. I received my Gold Premier Rewards card in March 2011, and got 10K bonus promotion.

Originally Posted by moarmiles
Here's another data point..

I applied for the Gold card in late 2010 and got my 25K points. I called Membership Rewards (1-800-297-3276) and said I got the 75K offer in the mail and asked if I could just switch to the 75K offer. Lady put me on hold, then said she couldn't find it. I told her I had a bonus offer number of 5894. She put me on hold again for what seemed like ages (more than 5 mins). Then she said that I have to fax it in. I obviously didn't have the letter, but played it cool and said "ok, give me the fax number". She said "hold on while i get you a good fax number" then came back a few mins later saying "oh you don't have to fax it in.. i just added 50K points to your account"

And I just logged in to my MR account and saw my balance went up by 50K

Thanks for the tip!!
Old Apr 19, 2011, 4:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k
I think her name is Zoraya.. sorry, I'm not exactly sure though. I don't know if it makes any difference but I also called around 9.15a PST.

Originally Posted by moibm
Did you take the name/number of the Rep. I have tried calling multiple times but they all say, I am not eligible. I received my Gold Premier Rewards card in March 2011, and got 10K bonus promotion.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 7:32 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by alphabeta
I received this offer, but my girlfriend didn't. Tried calling the membership rewards to get her the same card, but didn't work out...

btw, some ppl referred to the recent (targeted) paltinum card offer with 100k miles. Was the first year fee waived in that one? If not, I'd say this one's a better offer....
I was offered the 100K Platinum card a few months back and took it. Annual fee of $450 was not waved for 1st year.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 8:50 pm

Another data point: never had an AMEX Gold card, only partner cards (AA, Hilton, etc). Called membership rewards number, gave code, asked for 75k deal. They verified that the code was indeed correct for that deal, but w/out a specific RSVP code, they couldn't do it. I pressed a few times, but no dice. Will try again later.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:38 pm
aap

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by lex12
Another data point: never had an AMEX Gold card, only partner cards (AA, Hilton, etc). Called membership rewards number, gave code, asked for 75k deal. They verified that the code was indeed correct for that deal, but w/out a specific RSVP code, they couldn't do it. I pressed a few times, but no dice. Will try again later.
I think your problem is that you don't have an existing Amex card. My understanding is that this offer was targeted to existing Amex cardholders and trying to get them to upgrade to a higher value card ($175 annual fee, but only waived for the first year).

I was able to get in on this offer because the Membership Rewards rep found my other Amex Credit Card, and seemed accommodating as I was an existing cardholder.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 6:44 am

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
Originally Posted by aap
II was able to get in on this offer because the Membership Rewards rep found my other Amex Credit Card, and seemed accommodating as I was an existing cardholder.
My husband and I tried to get in on this deal. He has been a cardholder for many years...but he was told it was only for NEW customers which totally contradicts everything I read here. We talked to reps....we emailed from our existing accounts etc...no luck.

Since my husband has a card on my account, he decided to totally close his American Express account and see if he starts to get any offers over the next year. I did that with my Starwood American Express and a year later they sent me an offer to come back with large sign up bonuses... so maybe we will see something over the next year...
Old Apr 20, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Originally Posted by sargenet
My husband and I tried to get in on this deal. He has been a cardholder for many years...but he was told it was only for NEW customers which totally contradicts everything I read here. We talked to reps....we emailed from our existing accounts etc...no luck.

Since my husband has a card on my account, he decided to totally close his American Express account and see if he starts to get any offers over the next year. I did that with my Starwood American Express and a year later they sent me an offer to come back with large sign up bonuses... so maybe we will see something over the next year...
Interesting...I have been with Amex since the 1990s with corporate/personal cards and never got any bonus miles offer in the mail. Wife who never had one got a 50k offer in the mail. She tried to get the 75k, but was told she not eligible for that offer. Should I be closing all my accounts with Amex (currently I got two) to get future bonus offers?
Old Apr 20, 2011, 7:56 am
sgb

Originally Posted by aap
I think your problem is that you don't have an existing Amex card. My understanding is that this offer was targeted to existing Amex cardholders and trying to get them to upgrade to a higher value card ($175 annual fee, but only waived for the first year).

I was able to get in on this offer because the Membership Rewards rep found my other Amex Credit Card, and seemed accommodating as I was an existing cardholder.
I don't think this is what's driving it. My wife and I have AMEX cards, and we didn't get this offer. My daughter, who doesn't have one, did get it.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 8:08 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Originally Posted by sgb
I don't think this is what's driving it. My wife and I have AMEX cards, and we didn't get this offer. My daughter, who doesn't have one, did get it.
I am closing my accounts as soon as I used up the SPG points.

Last edited by opus2002; Apr 20, 2011 at 8:15 am
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:58 pm

Programs: Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, AA Lifetime Gold
unsuccessful

I tried to get this applied to my gold card but I was unsuccessful in two separate attempts over the phone and via online secure messaging. Both reps told me that they don't have the ability to change the offer once you've already signed up. Obviously, that does not appear to be true given the reports in the forum. I might try again some other time but so far I have been not persuasive. I thought I'd just report my experience so people who are considering applying have another data point. I received and activated my card within the last couple weeks.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by bluto
I tried to get this applied to my gold card but I was unsuccessful in two separate attempts over the phone and via online secure messaging. Both reps told me that they don't have the ability to change the offer once you've already signed up. Obviously, that does not appear to be true given the reports in the forum. I might try again some other time but so far I have been not persuasive. I thought I'd just report my experience so people who are considering applying have another data point. I received and activated my card within the last couple weeks.
Given the fact that this was reported in this thread as well as a few travel/point blogs, this could simply be dead.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

50,000 business card offer

Just got in the mail today 2 business goldcard offers addressed to the two different business names: 50,000 Membership Rewards bonus points. It states points are good for a $500 gift card. Wondering if this are regular MR points also good for xfer to airline miles.

Other details:
$ 5000 spend by 8/31/11, first year fee of $ 125 waved.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 6:51 pm

When I tried to get this, they asked me to fax them a copy of the letter.

Does the letter have a name/address on it? If not, I could potentially fax them someone else's offer letter.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 7:57 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by opus2002
I am closing my accounts as soon as I used up the SPG points.
Closing your SPG AMEX would have no impact on your accrued SPG points. If you want to cancel the card now (I don't really think this is wise but to each his own) you can do so without losing your accrued points.

Originally Posted by nasirmd
When I tried to get this, they asked me to fax them a copy of the letter.

Does the letter have a name/address on it? If not, I could potentially fax them someone else's offer letter.
I don't know since I haven't received this offer but what I do know (from reading this entire thread) is that each mailer has the generic promo code but also a unique RSVP code so that would be a potential roadblock
Old Apr 22, 2011, 5:09 pm

Programs: Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Just got in the mail today 2 business goldcard offers addressed to the two different business names: 50,000 Membership Rewards bonus points. It states points are good for a $500 gift card. Wondering if this are regular MR points also good for xfer to airline miles.

Other details:
$ 5000 spend by 8/31/11, first year fee of $ 125 waved.

I had the same offer. These are regular MR points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.