Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
SIN is about the same
Choose another South Asia Paradise Island from New York with a European flyable 1X

for All-in $ 243.30 Round Trip using the "25 Miler" European 1X Strike.

1X can be flown Mid-Summer. June-July.

A free Stop-over is allowed on the return. Pay only additional $ 20.00 airport fee.

With OJ - Return from Mount Everest (KTM) via FlyDubai Airlines and another carrier to New York $ 312.05 All-in.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Mar 1, 2015 at 6:55 pm
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:23 pm

------
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Fleyem2thamoun
Hi, all.

Looking for advice, please.

A month ago I flew a FD BOS-DXB RT on VS for ~40% off total cost of ticket using a classic well-known 3x. I need to go back to the UAE around the end of the month, but I am having trouble finding an efficient and preferably full YQ dump 3x. BF's for VS are ~$100 each way and YQ is ~$600 (March 27-Apr4). UA and LH also have low-ish BF's (high YQ) depending on specific dates at the end of March into April.

I have not been able to find any 3x that reduces YQ for anything other than VS (tried C2-C2, C2-C3, C3-C3,etc...). I have been plugging in viable city pairs into ITA with multi-city search and expanding search to 2000 miles to search for the 3x. Most of the time I get a strike on VS that drops the YQ to half, but no lower (found 15+ strikes). There are plenty of 3x that work for VS, but half is the lowest I can reduce the YQ no matter what the strike.

Is there any other way I could approach this? Perhaps I am not reading the fare rules correctly? Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Best,
FM2tM
I was able to melt fat by 75% with a 3x in c3 for vs.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:11 pm

Looking for a short notice fare from NYC to the UK, preferably EDI (end of March). All C2e-UK fares are way too high, best I've found is to MXP on DL with 50e BF and hopes to cut yq at least in half -- yet, all the US domestic and EU 3x's I know of don't work. Other 3x's? OJ opportunities? Would appreciate a push in the right direction. Cheers!
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by jobinvk
I was able to melt fat by 75% with a 3x in c3 for vs.
Nice find. Does it work only ex C1 or generally?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:39 am

I'm looking at an open-jaw flight on LH going to BKK and returning from KUL. BF totals 140EUR with 360EUR of fat. The fare rules include the following:
END-ON-END NOT PERMITTED. SIDE TRIPS PERMITTED.
APPLICABLE ADD-ON CONSTRUCTION IS ADDRESSED IN
MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS - CATEGORY 23.
Is there any hope to dump any of the fat with a strike? Am I correct that 1x and 3x aren't allowed based on these rules?

What is defined as a side trip? I've tried to find a 2x from the BKK/VTE region to the PEN/KUL/SIN region as positioning for the return leg but the fat remains and the BF jumps. Any advice on how to understand these fare rules would be appreciated (public or PM). Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: A few, without status
I had my first post on this thread last week after a month of reading and getting a hang of what I thought were the basics. Quickly realized that I was ill prepared. So the weekend was spent on delving a bit deeper and making a bit more sense of the posts here and the blogs.
I hope it is not another false dawn, but I think I have a working 3X for my itinerary in my earlier post (but with a different airline).
The 3X results in the AI fare reducing from ~ £350 to ~£250. YQ reducing from ~ £190 to ~ £50. Cost of 3X ~£40.
I know it is not earth moving and in all probabilities this 3X would be known to themore experienced gamers. But would like to share my workings via PM if someone is kind enough to critique it.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Choose another South Asia Paradise Island from New York with a European flyable 1X

for All-in $ 243.30 Round Trip using the "25 Miler" European 1X Strike.
ThX, easy to find
a lot of hints.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:52 am

I know this question has popped up from time to time - Is SQ dumpable?
As far as I can remember c2-c3 and c2-c6 itineraries have been mentioned as dumpable.

Just want to report that certain SQ c1-c3 itineraries are 100% dumpable. Discovered while working on something else. Looks OTA specific..not tested on many others.
Half the fare is YQ but BFs are high too so the a.i fare is not the greatest. But for those that prefer the great service of SQ and transiting Changi it might be useful.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by 'miles' to go before i fly
I had my first post on this thread last week after a month of reading and getting a hang of what I thought were the basics. Quickly realized that I was ill prepared. So the weekend was spent on delving a bit deeper and making a bit more sense of the posts here and the blogs.
I hope it is not another false dawn, but I think I have a working 3X for my itinerary in my earlier post (but with a different airline).
The 3X results in the AI fare reducing from ~ £350 to ~£250. YQ reducing from ~ £190 to ~ £50. Cost of 3X ~£40.
I know it is not earth moving and in all probabilities this 3X would be known to themore experienced gamers. But would like to share my workings via PM if someone is kind enough to critique it.
What you have described is exactly what you are looking for.
It might just be a one-off or it might work for other itineraries with the same airline.
It also might be the case that you can find a flight cheaper than £40 from the same airline in the same region which also manages to drop the overall YQ of your itinerary.
Nice work. Essentially look to see if there is a pattern you can build up using what you have found here.

Or just book the itinerary and head off on holiday smug in the knowledge you made yourself a great deal.
There will be people who will be able to find better I expect but don't worry too much about getting the very, very best price if it is a trip you definitely want to take as you can (as I have) spend so much time shaving a few quid more here & there that the fare rules change or the seats sell out in your required fare class etc....
If you are playing, as I often do, then you can spend the time ttrying to hone it and understand the reasons more.
But I assure you the worst feeling is losing a great deal because you kept looking for an amazing deal instead :-)
Better to go on a £400 flight for £200 than to not go at all having chased £150.

Last edited by Sisyphus1carus; Mar 2, 2015 at 1:00 pm
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:21 pm
Suspended

is it safe to say that the EK fare rules of C2-C3 routes are no longer dumpable with the well known 1x??

i can see end-on-end is no longer permitted. and ive tried replicating routes that were previously very easily dumpable with no success
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:32 pm

"Nice find. Does it work only ex C1 or generally?" - brumbrum

guess its only from c1. Works from NYC too. The ex c2 combis I tried didnt work. May work for others.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: WN A+/CP
LA-PAR 69 RT base 500+ YR. can only get down to 552 with 3x can it go lower with a flyable 1x (in c1) or another 3x?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA, VS, TK, etc...
Originally Posted by jobinvk
"Nice find. Does it work only ex C1 or generally?" - brumbrum

guess its only from c1. Works from NYC too. The ex c2 combis I tried didnt work. May work for others.
Best strike I could find was in C5 (lowest 3X BF/low tax&Fee combo.), but still nothing better than a 50% YQ.

Either way, found a plethora of very useful strikes to use for VS in the future.

Last edited by Fleyem2thamoun; Mar 2, 2015 at 7:13 pm Reason: wording.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:16 pm

Did you guys ITA for the 3X search in C3? I usually have mine in 2.5 or 1/1.5, not sure where to start in C3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.