Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:44 pm

Does anyone know what's the most fat that can be cut off a r/t FRA to NYC using a 3x? I found a 3x that cuts some fat, resulting in an AI of 411 euros. I'm guessing it's possible to do better, but not sure?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:02 am

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
Originally Posted by BillyDWilliazs1
Does anyone know what's the most fat that can be cut off a r/t FRA to NYC using a 3x? I found a 3x that cuts some fat, resulting in an AI of 411 euros. I'm guessing it's possible to do better, but not sure?
The usual 3x is 50%, 1x is 100%. And 411 is far from a good price, there are undumped tickets in that range. (depending on flight dates of course)

Last edited by WolfvanWeen; Mar 1, 2015 at 7:03 am Reason: Just to clarify 1 thing.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
American Airlines New York to New Zealand

AA YR surcharge (YR) $680.00.
Gone !

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Mar 1, 2015 at 8:48 am
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:17 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
AA YR surcharge (YR) $680.00.
Gone !
I've think I've found it...my BF is HIGH though...
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
I've think I've found it...my BF is HIGH though...
Same here. Bf of $1200
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by WolfvanWeen
The usual 3x is 50%, 1x is 100%. And 411 is far from a good price, there are undumped tickets in that range. (depending on flight dates of course)
Thanks Wolf. Yes, I've used what I think is the normal 3x you're referring to but it only cuts the AI price to pretty close to what an undumped ticket goes for on an alternate carrier.

Is the 1x relatively flyable?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA, VS, TK, etc...
BOS-DXB RT

Hi, all.

Looking for advice, please.

A month ago I flew a FD BOS-DXB RT on VS for ~40% off total cost of ticket using a classic well-known 3x. I need to go back to the UAE around the end of the month, but I am having trouble finding an efficient and preferably full YQ dump 3x. BF's for VS are ~$100 each way and YQ is ~$600 (March 27-Apr4). UA and LH also have low-ish BF's (high YQ) depending on specific dates at the end of March into April.

I have not been able to find any 3x that reduces YQ for anything other than VS (tried C2-C2, C2-C3, C3-C3,etc...). I have been plugging in viable city pairs into ITA with multi-city search and expanding search to 2000 miles to search for the 3x. Most of the time I get a strike on VS that drops the YQ to half, but no lower (found 15+ strikes). There are plenty of 3x that work for VS, but half is the lowest I can reduce the YQ no matter what the strike.

Is there any other way I could approach this? Perhaps I am not reading the fare rules correctly? Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Best,
FM2tM
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:25 am

C2s-C1.5 *A: 222,06 € ai
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
Originally Posted by Fleyem2thamoun
I have been plugging in viable city pairs into ITA with multi-city search and expanding search to 2000 miles to search for the 3x.
ITA will get sloppy if you do that. You don't want to search 100x100 cities at once because ITA won't be able to look up all possible fares before it times out.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA, VS, TK, etc...
Originally Posted by deissi
ITA will get sloppy if you do that. You don't want to search 100x100 cities at once because ITA won't be able to look up all possible fares before it times out.
Good point, deissi.

What do you think the threshold is? 300? 500? I will try 300 and report back if I yield any different results.

Thank you!
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: Tim Horton's Gold
Good point, deissi.

What do you think the threshold is? 300? 500? I will try 300 and report back if I yield any different results.

Thank you!
I would suggest to start with 1,000, when you see any response/movement write the city pairs and airline name. Then narrow down from that airline & country. (Just my experience...may be other ways will work better)

Good Luck!
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:11 pm

Good point, deissi.

Thank you!
itīs not about the distance, itīs about the number of airports searched (or not searched). Optimal distance vary due to the regional differences.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, OZ Diamond
C2 - c4 220eur (dates for example in june)
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:43 pm

C1 to Bangkok $418.78 All-in R/T

$418.78 All-in R/T in April/May
$468.78 in Sep-Nov
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:54 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by travelfanatics
$418.78 All-in R/T in April/May
$468.78 in Sep-Nov
SIN is about the same

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.