Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

12/31 is FAST approaching....anyone in 'A WORLD OF HURT' to qualify?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

12/31 is FAST approaching....anyone in 'A WORLD OF HURT' to qualify?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2001, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA, US, DL, CO, JJ; GOL - Smiles; HHonors; Hyatt, Gold Crown, La Quinta, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred
tvl4free or any other fellow FT'er,

need yr help - please see below re my onepass acc:

1. No. of miles/segments at present.

Mileage Balance: 30,073
2001 Elite Mileage Balance: 35,496
2001 Elite Segments: 40

2. How many more miles/segments to reach goal: 14,504 Elite miles or 20 Elite segments to turn GOLD (actually a little less, since there are a couple of flts missing post).

3. I'm based out of NY (EWR IS FINE....)

4. Whether or not there is some place specific that you would really like to go: NOT REALLY, MAYBE SAN DIEGO

5. Dates available to travel in both directions: dec 14,15,16,21,22,23

FYI - I have made a reservation on NWA.COM via e-cert for $296 total from EWR-CDG (departing 12/14 6pm returning 12/16 1:35pm). As you know, I must issue on 12/5 by midnite or risk loosing the fare....therefore, FT'ers out there..time is of the essence!!! Tks

Anyway...if my math is right, I should earn some valuable miles (more than 20.000) due to the double miles promo + online booking bonus.

Question - when using a NWA.com e-cert (not sure which fare it is booked under but I'm certain it's not K...) can I earn OP miles instead of Worldperk's??? If yes, than I guess I would be looking at only one rountrip to Paris....to upgrade me to gold on CO.

tks
postponer
Old Dec 5, 2001, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by postponer:
Question - when using a NWA.com e-cert (not sure which fare it is booked under but I'm certain it's not K...) can I earn OP miles instead of Worldperk's??? If yes, than I guess I would be looking at only one rountrip to Paris....to upgrade me to gold on CO. </font>
Maybe I'm confused by your post, but I don't understand how just one RT NYC to PAR is going to UG your status to Gold. The RT EWR-PAR mileage via DTW and AMS is only 9,864... and that added to your balance, does not 50K make.

Maybe you should ask your TvlSanta for one more transcon RT...???

The experience of others with the e-cert 'mileage credit deal' might be better answered in the NW forum. But here, can we assume you're using the NW FRA/LON/PAR promo fare?

If so, that e-promo specifically states that NW mileage is given. I can only assume that CO credit is given as well... In fact, the only NW fares that I know of that don't give credit are the weekend Cyber Saver deals.

You might want to make a dual 'jingle, jingle' to NW and CO, just to double check.

But tvl4free would say that, overall, Christmas in Gold is looking pretty good for you this year.

Humm... presents in Gold... has a nice ring to it, don't you agree?

Happy holidays!

[This message has been edited by tvl4free (edited 12-05-2001).]
Old Dec 5, 2001, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by skylane:
Anyone think I can make DL PM? How much will it cost me to rack up 26k? The problem is the double base miles promotion ends Dec 15...</font>
Well, thinking and doing 26K are two different things... so I'll be interested to see how it goes.

26K is like way more miles than most people travel on a RTW ticket!!!

It would certainly be more of a marathan - rather than the typical 'garden variety' run.

Anyway, I'm thinking it could be done if started immediately in about 4-5 days for something like $1,100 - $1,200 bucks, give or take.

Bare in mind that this would be 'last minute fared' travel!

Can we know what you've come up with?

[This message has been edited by tvl4free (edited 12-05-2001).]
Old Dec 5, 2001, 8:16 am

Programs: United
No world of hurt here. I already received my letter from UA saying that they're comping me to 1K next year, but I figure for my own psychic satisfaction, I should still fly the mileage run I have planned for Dec. 15 from Chicago to San Francisco and back, which will give me approximately 103,000 for the year. It only cost $200 and what's the knowledge that I'm a true 1K is worth? Priceless.
Old Dec 5, 2001, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Postponer The EWR CDG fare you are contemplating booking is a V fare (to find this you have to buy the ticket or look at your confirmation email, nowhere does NWA.com tell you this beforehand, and the NW CSR told me she doesn't know the rules for miles even though she knew it was a V fare, search NW for the same topic)

This fare does earn WP miles, thus I assume it earns OP miles too if you desire to collect those instead. CO does not double NW metal flight miles and neither does NW double CO metal miles, so be careful. If WP gold is your objective and your miles are in CO, then you just have to suck up the loss of 18,000 miles. I did this recently on a PVD SEA CO metal flight, I hated it, but had no real choice.

On the V fare, the flight is not upgradable with miles, but the flights look pretty empty so maybe you can stretch out in back, where I will be on 12/11 and 12/16.
Old Dec 5, 2001, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Opushomes, Thanks for all the info. I hadn't planned on exiting the security area especially with such a short wait. I am coming in on flight 811, out on 814, just over 1 1/2 hours. My worry is that the 811 will be late, as it is only rated at 60% on time, but both flights are A320s so I assume thay are the same plane.

My plan is a quick cold beer (well maybe more than one while waiting). I would be HAPPY to buy you one (or more) if you are in the area.
Old Dec 5, 2001, 10:38 am

Programs: AA, US, DL, CO, JJ; GOL - Smiles; HHonors; Hyatt, Gold Crown, La Quinta, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred
quote:
Originally posted by tvl4free

"Maybe I'm confused by your post, but I don't understand how just one RT NYC to PAR is going to UG your status to Gold. The RT EWR-PAR mileage via DTW and AMS is only 9,864... and that added to your balance, does not 50K make."

tvl4free - YOU'RE RIGHT...I CURRENTLY HAVE 35,496 ELITE MILES...BUT I WAS HOPING I WOULD GET 2X MILES...WHICH IT LOOKS LIKE IT WON'T HAPPEN.YES, I 'M USING THE FRA/LON/PAR promo fare.

SINCE CO gold is my objective and the miles will be earned on NW metal, I will have to suck up the loss of 18,000 miles.
OB one, tks fpr yr explanation.

Still, if all goes right...I will still need some 3 or 4 thousand miles (this includes some of the still not posted credits on my OP acc. Therefore, gentlemen, still need yr help in putting an effective-same-day-cheap roundtrip (maybe to west coast?) for either 12/22 or 23...tks.

ps - I have a $192.98 coupon from CO that will expire on 12/11 - so hopefully you will be able to help me in time to use it. Tks.

Old Dec 5, 2001, 11:06 am

Well, I found out yesterday that I would not qualify for 1K under UAs secondary rules, even though their press release clearly states I would. So I need about 17000 miles by the end of the year to shore up my status. I will be getting about 2000 miles for Christmas, and I could go to Tampa this week for 3K more. I would prefer a long haul though, that would get me all the miles at once, preferably $600 or less. I have one SWU left that I'd like to use, but that is not required.

Well, that is the challenge, the good thing is that I am extremely flexible about dates. I can leave from DEN or COS.

I normally travel every week, so the 1K status has been indispensible. With all that has happened, my travel in Q4 dried up though.

I've analyzed flights for the last two days, but the best I've come up with is MUC or Tokyo. Not quite enough.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris
Old Dec 5, 2001, 12:25 pm
v3

I currently have Delta SM and would like to qualify for Gold this year.
Current balance: 43576 miles. Delta has double miles till 12/15 so I need just 3.75K miles before 12/15 or 6.5K miles after 12/15.
I'm based in Atlanta. Your suggestions are most welcomed. Would prefere something with same day return... and cheap

[This message has been edited by v3 (edited 12-05-2001).]
Old Dec 5, 2001, 1:49 pm
Karen Reinhardt

I need 11695 miles to qualify for CO silver elite. I am waiting for credit on a flight from Seattle to Tampa yesterday, and will be flying from Tampa to YHZ on the 14th. I would like to do a modest mileage run (my first) sometime between now and the 13th, that would perhaps get me the miles I need to qualify. Can anyone help?

A month or so ago, there were some really neat itineraries within California. Can anyone suggest how to do something similar from TPA?

Thanks,

Old Dec 5, 2001, 2:33 pm

Programs: United
Mountain Flyer:

If your schedule allows you to miss a Friday or a Monday over the next couple of weeks, consider doing a run to Singapore. Cost from DEN should be about $630 for about 19,000 miles.
Old Dec 5, 2001, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by v3:
I need just 3.75K miles before 12/15 or 6.5K miles after 12/5.)</font>
Cheap is the wrong words to use with tvl4free, so pack the sleigh - and the reindeer will take you to BHM!

BHM-SLC RT is $158, $184 with taxes. The following routing should be used: BHM-ATL-SLC-CVG-BHM to get you home in just one day. 7 day advance. No overnite stay. T/W/SAT travel, which means the only two days left for travel are 12/12 and 12/15. Miles earned total 4,034.

So you have to jump on this one if you like it.

A couple of other ATL based ideas, but certain people monitor - so e-me if you want details.

Merry Christmas to ya!

[This message has been edited by tvl4free (edited 12-06-2001).]
Old Dec 5, 2001, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

I had hoped to have a little help with this one, but I guess I'll have to take a stab at it all alone!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mspflyer1:
Have 35K on NWA need 50K to make gold. Leave from MPLS. Prefer to go anyplace warm, Florida... CA...</font>
I spoke with a bud at WorldPerks yesterday and, at the moment, there is no plan to extend status for those who didn't qualify this year, on into 2002. While we hate to see a fellow FTer fall by the wayside, if you'll just move aside... any of us will be perfectly happy to take your FC seat.

Seriously tho, 15K is alot of miles as you know - as it actually equals about half way around the earth. I'm sorry, too, that you don't yet feel comfortable enough to travel internationally, as that would be the easiest, fastest, and safest way to put you back on track for Gold.

15K requires at least 2 trascon RTs. But because you are 'kind of' located mid-continent, you would have to place yourself on either coast. From MSP 'getting properly positioned' could be rather expensive, as most of the best fares to the coast are currently requiring a 2 week advance purchase.

Therefore, I tried to look at this delima not only in terms of the miles and the 3-4 vacations days that you have available, but also in terms of the cost. I noticed that you mentioned that you wouldn't mind visiting Florida and/or CA. So, why not take in both?

If saving some change is important, and you could cash-in 20-25K miles and position yourself in SAN late on 12/13... you could conceivably accomplish your goal, and be back in MSP by lunch on the 18th. You would need to purchase two 7 day advance CO RT tkts from SAN to FLL... which would mean that you would have to buy your 2 tkts. no later than tomorrow. You would need to use some 'creative routings' to max out the miles you can harvest - like via LAX and EWR... plus a few more.. A good travel agent should be able to do this for you. I looked at what was available and what I came up with was out late,late PM on the 13th, arriving FLL late on the 14th, back on the 15th, out again to FLL on the 16th, and back to SAN on the 17th. Depending on the day, the fares were $198 - $238. With taxes and fess, the total that I came up with was $515.50. Miles totaled 16,242 base. I think we would double that for NW Gold. Forget traveling to FL after the 19th, unless you plan on using the reindeer, cause there's (pretty much) no cheap seats to be had.

Let me just say that this 'mini-vacation' is not for the faint of heart! But a few fellow FTers do it, time and time again.

This was the best I could come up with - under the parameters that were outlined.

Season's greetings to ya!

[This message has been edited by tvl4free (edited 12-12-2001).]
Old Dec 5, 2001, 9:39 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

v3

Out of ATL you can try to take advantage of "sale" fares to various eastern cities that don't require overnight stay, only 7 day advance purchase by 12/12. For example, you can do ATL-CVG-DAY-CVG-ATL for 4,000 base miles at a cost of about $125. Do that 2x and you have your miles. You might even be able to do it within one-day. I know that total cost of $210 is higher than tvl4free's $184 to SLC but it's an alternative.

[This message has been edited by peteropny (edited 12-05-2001).]
Old Dec 5, 2001, 10:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Talk about hurt! I need 40K Q miles on UA. I just flew 60K this past month.. Any suggestions on the cheapest route so I may attain 1K???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.