Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2004, 8:12 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
If you feel like saving a bit more - take a regular bus for 9 Baht. 5 or 29 stop at Mo Chit or some other BTS station if i remember correctly. It would surely be an experience to remember especially with luggage!
Old Nov 16, 2004, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good point - there are four of us traveling together & we will all have backpacks, so luggage isn't really an issue & as far as stairs go, we're in our mid-20's, so stairs wouldn't be an issue. I don't recall it being only 300-400 baht out of the airport, last time I went there, I was in a taxi by myself & I think it was more than that (counting express way fee & airport fee).
Old Nov 16, 2004, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Good point - there are four of us traveling together & we will all have backpacks, so luggage isn't really an issue & as far as stairs go, we're in our mid-20's, so stairs wouldn't be an issue. I don't recall it being only 300-400 baht out of the airport, last time I went there, I was in a taxi by myself & I think it was more than that (counting express way fee & airport fee).
My rides between BKK and the Marriott Riverside have run between 450 and 500 Baht all inclusive. Basically $11-$13. I don't know why you would even consider anything other than a taxi (except maybe a private limosine) at that absurdly low price.

As an aside, I agree with everyone that the Marriott Riverside is fantastic -- an oasis in a busy city -- and a real steal through Priceline.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:27 am
Suspended

Post JW Marriott Bangkok and Marriott Bangkok Resort stay report

I am a Plat member (100+ Marriott stays in '03 and '04 respectively), just got back from Bangkok, stayed at both JW Marriott and Marriott Resort there.
Here is my report:

JW Marriott:
I was given a corner room (regular room, not suite) on the 18th floor in this 24 stories building, it is not a concierge floor. The room was fine. However, this was the only room I saw, so I had no way of knowing if other rooms are better. I don't think I was upgraded.
There was central air condition in the building and was set at 22 C. The temperature can not be adjusted in individual rooms. A bit cold for me at night while sleeping. Breakfast and Evening O'derve in the lounge were very high quality. Very nice fitness center, pool area is not sunny. Location is convenient.

Marriott Resort and Spa:
I was checked-in by the club concierge clerk, and given a room (regular room, not a suite) with river view on 5th (top) floor on the main building, there is another wing that has 7 stories. I think I was upgraded, river view vs. courtyard view. The room has a balcony. Temperature could be adjusted in each individual room. Bathroom is quite small and dark, but acceptable to me. Breakfast and evening O'derve in the lounge were nice. The fitness center is a big room that hosted both fitness equipments and aerobic class, so when there is an aerobic class, the whole room is filled with the aerobic class music and instructor's shouting noise.
There is a nice big pool, but filled with kids and noise, pool area was crowded, and it was difficult to get a chair by the pool to sun bath. Some people even put clothes or bags on chairs early in the morning, in order to claim occupancy of the chairs.
Location is a bit far out, but still acceptable, free ferry boat between this hotel to BTS (transit) terminal until 11:45 pm. Taxi from Silom area on meter is about 80 baht (2 dollars). Taxi from this hotel to airport is at a set price of 400 baht.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:35 am
Suspended

Broadband internet access in guest room:
JW Marriott: 550 Baht
Marriott Resort: 625 Baht
Old Jan 5, 2005, 11:42 am

Temperature definitely can be adjusted at the JW using the bedside control panel.

Also, I have been able to get free wireless on all rooms I have been in, either "Club Fl 17" (Landmark Hotel) or "SMC 2", no idea from where.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:29 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Sorry, taxi to airport is not set price unless you are gullible

A meter taxi can be obtained at the Marriott Resort. Just insist that they use the meter. This is just part of the pricing game one encounters in Bangkok. The guys at the front door get a commission from your 400 baht, plus, of course your tip to them for loading the bags, opening the door, etc. Meter-taxis are ubiquitous and you need to insist that they use the meter.

Still these guys are so much better than those in Orlando or Ft. Lauderdale who do use the meter or not at their preference. At least in Bangkok, one can always find a taxi at any hour unless it is in the middle of a monsoon.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by opushomes
A meter taxi can be obtained at the Marriott Resort. Just insist that they use the meter. This is just part of the pricing game one encounters in Bangkok. The guys at the front door get a commission from your 400 baht, plus, of course your tip to them for loading the bags, opening the door, etc. Meter-taxis are ubiquitous and you need to insist that they use the meter.

Still these guys are so much better than those in Orlando or Ft. Lauderdale who do use the meter or not at their preference. At least in Bangkok, one can always find a taxi at any hour unless it is in the middle of a monsoon.
I was told by the check-out clerk at the hotel that the taxi to airport is at a set fee of 400 baht, and the hotel got the taxi for me. Are you saying the hotel participates in the pricing games with the taxi drivers? This would not be a good thing to know.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 1:40 pm

Many hotel bellhops in BKK suggest that kind of prices. 300 Suk/400 Riverside in my experience. Just tell them you prefer the meter.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LH747FTL
Temperature definitely can be adjusted at the JW using the bedside control panel.

Also, I have been able to get free wireless on all rooms I have been in, either "Club Fl 17" (Landmark Hotel) or "SMC 2", no idea from where.
No, temperature can not be adjusted at JW Marriott rooms using the bedside control panel. I tried the bedside control panel many times, the temperature control function was disabled. I then read the guest book on the desk, it specifically said the room temperature was set to 22 C and can not be changed. I even called the front desk, they confirmed this.

I did get free wireless broadband in the executive lounge on 16th floor, but not in guest room (18th floor). As far as "club fl 17" and "SMC 2", I am not sure what you were referring to. Landmark hotel is 1.5 blocks from JW, I don't know if wireless broadband signals can go that far.

Last edited by Mama; Jan 5, 2005 at 2:01 pm
Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:19 pm

I have probably stayed around 70 nights at the JW Marriott Bangkok, 21 nights in Nov/Dec 2004, and most definitely, I have changed the temperature on every room from 9th floor to exec floors. You need to press the button for about 5 seconds (up or down) until the temperature flashes instead of the clock.

I have been able to pick up the Landmark Club signal for free on the landmark side and SMC 2 signal most times on the ploenchit center side. Worth a try if you want to avoid the charges, but obviously depends on location.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 10:37 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
"This would not be a good thing to know."

Actually this is an important thing to know. Although the amounts are small, it is unfortunate that unknowledgable travelers get ripped off because they do not know better. Cultural understanding and knowing how things work can make one's travel more pleasurable.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LH747FTL
I have probably stayed around 70 nights at the JW Marriott Bangkok, 21 nights in Nov/Dec 2004, and most definitely, I have changed the temperature on every room from 9th floor to exec floors. You need to press the button for about 5 seconds (up or down) until the temperature flashes instead of the clock.
I was able to move temperature setting up one degree to 23 C, but a few minutes later, the bedside control panel set itself back to 22 C. Can you please check the temperature control next time you go there, and let us know? I plan on going to BKK again later this year. I hope the temperature can be adjusted at this hotel, and the problem I had was only an individual incident.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by opushomes
"This would not be a good thing to know."

Actually this is an important thing to know. Although the amounts are small, it is unfortunate that unknowledgable travelers get ripped off because they do not know better. Cultural understanding and knowing how things work can make one's travel more pleasurable.
It would not be a good thing that an reputable American hotel such as Marriott actually engages in pricing games with taxi drivers. One can argue that this is a local cultural, but I would expect an American hotel do better than this.
But yes, it is important for everyone to know about the taxi pricing game.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA/CO-1KPlat, MARRIOTT-LT PLAT
Wink Air flow and temperatuare!

I stayed at the BKK Marriott Resort for Christmas, and adjusted the tempertaure all day long.

But in addition, I adjusted the louvers on the vent to NOT blow on the bed!
I prefer a more gentle cooling from the flow strainght ahead and more toward the ceiling to avoid getting stiff muscles from sleeping in a draft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.