Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email addresses:

Marriott Waikiki: [email protected]
Courtyard Waikiki: [email protected]

Waikiki Marriott is full buffet breakfast daily for elite+1 or 1,000 points - Plat arrival gift option

Resort fee: $37+tax
--- One macadamia nut candy (comes with 2 pieces of candy)
--- Fitness classes daily
--- Cultural classes daily
--- Enhanced internet
--- 60 minutes of long distance and international calls daily
--- Blu-ray or DVD rentals
--- Press Reader newspaper and magazine downloads
--- 1 introductory scuba or snorkel lesson, one per family (this is subject to availability as the shop needs to first have a paid booking before they can offer the free lesson in the morning)
Print Wikipost

Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by CDF
Thanks for the feedback but maybe I didn't phrase my question correctly. I am open to other properties but was focusing on the Marriott since I have status with them and can use a bunch of points I have banked up. To be right on the beach would be nice but, given the vast difference in cost for those properties (Moan Surfrider, Outrigger, etc), being across the street is fine. The main thing I was looking at was having a nice ocean view to enjoy rather than a city view.

I have a couple of options with the Marriott and both use 280,000 points for the stay. The big difference is that an ocean view room is almost $500 less than a deluxe ocean view for cash out-of-pocket. The first thing I was wondering about is whether it was worth it to pay the extra $500 for the "deluxe ocean view". Is there that much of a difference in the rooms?

The second question I have is, being a Platinum member, is there a chance of an upgrade to the deluxe ocean view room if I book just the standard ocean view room? It seems like this has been hit or miss for some folks.

The one thing that does concern me is that I've seem some people say they've booked an ocean view room and the room wasn't really what was advertised. Also, the comments that the rooms are tired and run down makes me hesitate a little bit since it is going to cost a fair number of points and cash. Oh, one additional question - what exactly do we get for the resort fees? I'm not sure I saw where this was explicitly stated before.

I do have some options for non-Marriott properties but none are ideal. For example, I could work it so that I could use points and cash for the Surfrider or one of the other Starwood properties but in each of those cases, the only rooms available for cash/points are city view rooms. So, I'm primarily looking at Marriott at this point.

Thanks
If you book "ocean front" thats what you will get there are rooms that offer various ocean views, I would call the PLT desk and get their help, their always good about these things and if you have a special occasion even better.
Old May 5, 2016, 5:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I've never stayed in the Rainbow Tower (as addicted as we are to the Ali'i and the pool, etc.), but I have to admit your view is better. Our view is over the park with the beach to the side, but I actually love it because I'm a freak who loves watching the doves and other birds wake up in the morning to stretch their wings and do it again before retiring.

Beats looking at HVAC's on rooftops any day.
Old May 5, 2016, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
hmmm..."look at alternative non-Marriott properties" sounds to me like he was open to suggestions.

Yes, those doves in Ft. Derussy park can be killer. We always stay in the Ali'i Tower overlooking the Park and have never seen anything even remotely dangerous day or night. I wouldn't think of walking across a dark park anywhere, but that's just me. And the rooms were just renovated a few years ago so they do not look tired. But I do realize some don't like that hotel and its location, and that's ok. It did fit his criteria for "on the beach".
Old May 5, 2016, 5:44 pm

edgewood, we've figured out that there is NO ocean front at the Marriott. It's either towards Diamondhead, towards the main part of Waikiki, or a sliver of the ocean from the back tower ala Kacee's pic.
Old May 5, 2016, 5:45 pm

Not sure how many years you have been going and staying in the islands but I would be remiss if I didn't caution visitors at night time in park it is well known that there have been issues over the years, police patrols yes , but you do really want to tell readers the only thing they have to worry about are the doves ? I have been staying at the HHV for over 30 years and when the Marriott was reflagged I walked in the next day. I also have done work at both hotels over the years.

My only suggestion is use common sense at nighttime.
Old May 5, 2016, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Not sure how many years you have been going and staying in the islands but I would be remiss if I didn't caution visitors at night time in park it is well known that there have been issues over the years, police patrols yes , but you do really want to tell readers the only thing they have to worry about are the doves ? I have been staying at the HHV for over 30 years and when the Marriott was reflagged I walked in the next day. I also have done work at both hotels over the years.

My only suggestion is use common sense at nighttime.
And that's what I said! If we walk over to the restaurants on Beachwalk/Lewers we simply hug the Outrigger on the return...in the daylight heading that way we diagonal across the park, where it is not a problem at all (except maybe being hit by a volleyball).

If you go out late enough so that it is dark both ways, just take the beach path to the Outrigger and go that way. Simple. Always lots of people around.
Old May 6, 2016, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Have we discussed the new Autograph in Waikiki?

http://www.dlrgroup.com/work/aqua-wa...el-renovation/
No, probably because there's no date yet for when renovations will be completed/what its opening date will be as Autograph Collection.

Cheers.
Old May 6, 2016, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
No, probably because there's no date yet for when renovations will be completed/what its opening date will be as Autograph Collection.

Cheers.
Let us hope that the renovations are done well. If you look back at the CY both on Oahu and Kona they were cheaply done. As was the Hyatt Place. Being in the business I am somewhat suspect ( cynical too@!)
Old May 6, 2016, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They just don't seem to want to invest very much in Waikiki. I think the competition keeps prices down and there's not much money to be made.
Old May 6, 2016, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
There are 4 SPG properties, so when the merger happens that will give a few more options.

Cheers.
Old May 6, 2016, 3:31 pm

They just don't seem to want to invest very much in Waikiki. I think the competition keeps prices down and there's not much money to be made.
One of the real reasons we see in the hospitality industry today is the affect of the Equity Capitol people out there. They run their programs, tend to over pay for property then milk it hard. I can not tell you how many times and what I have seen in the past five years. I see them slap together a remodel only to have it fail within five years doubling up what they really need to save. It's like buying one of those "flipping houses" you see on TV, it's all contrived.

These hotel managers are under so much pressure to increase the bottom line.
Old May 13, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Have we discussed the new Autograph in Waikiki?

http://www.dlrgroup.com/work/aqua-wa...el-renovation/
This is exciting.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
There are 4 SPG properties, so when the merger happens that will give a few more options...
This is exciting, too. The more options, the better. I am still crying bitter tears of regret that we never stayed at the JW Ihilani. We stayed at Ko'olina 3 times (THREE!) and kept telling ourselves that we would move to the Ihilani one day. Then it was too late.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Waikiki Beach Marriott - stay away!

I made the mistake of giving the Waikiki Beach Marriott a try - big mistake.

The lobby is nice enough and the mobile check-in thing worked well. They also 'upgraded' my partial ocean room to a full ocean Deluxe.

It's a stretch to use the term 'deluxe' for that room: there was no reading chair as pictured. No shaving/make-up mirror. Just the basic toiletries, no mouthwash, cotton swabs, etc. No bottled water. The safe didn't work. The app that was so great at check-in was useless in getting my issues resolved that day.

They were nice enough to give me a voucher for breakfast. However, that turned out to be in a ballroom! Yes, breakfast (and dinner buffet) is served in a windowless, soulless ballroom with bright lights, mismatched chairs and an electric candle or two for decor. I would be kind to associate the term 'presentation' with the way the food was put out for the masses to scoop up from. (There were also birds competing for the food). The fruit was nice, but everything else was average as best. Most college dorm cafeterias do a better job of arranging the food, this was so unappealing. And who thought creamy scalloped potatoes should be a breakfast item?

In addition to the photo of the room I booked not actually representing the room, there are many other things posted on their website that do not match reality at the hotel. (what's included in the resort fee, prices in the restaurant, etc.)

Why do you Marriott people put up with this crap? This really scared me to think the Marriott people might push these low standards onto my Sheratons, Westins and W's.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I made the mistake of giving the Waikiki Beach Marriott a try - big mistake.

The lobby is nice enough and the mobile check-in thing worked well. They also 'upgraded' my partial ocean room to a full ocean Deluxe.

It's a stretch to use the term 'deluxe' for that room: there was no reading chair as pictured. No shaving/make-up mirror. Just the basic toiletries, no mouthwash, cotton swabs, etc. No bottled water. The safe didn't work. The app that was so great at check-in was useless in getting my issues resolved that day.

They were nice enough to give me a voucher for breakfast. However, that turned out to be in a ballroom! Yes, breakfast (and dinner buffet) is served in a windowless, soulless ballroom with bright lights, mismatched chairs and an electric candle or two for decor. I would be kind to associate the term 'presentation' with the way the food was put out for the masses to scoop up from. (There were also birds competing for the food). The fruit was nice, but everything else was average as best. Most college dorm cafeterias do a better job of arranging the food, this was so unappealing. And who thought creamy scalloped potatoes should be a breakfast item?

In addition to the photo of the room I booked not actually representing the room, there are many other things posted on their website that do not match reality at the hotel. (what's included in the resort fee, prices in the restaurant, etc.)

Why do you Marriott people put up with this crap? This really scared me to think the Marriott people might push these low standards onto my Sheratons, Westins and W's.
It sounds like they were remodeling the Kuhio Grill ? I just looked and no notice. I have been staying here since two days after they took it over, and that was a long time ago and in all that time I have never had a bad stay some better than others, the Kuhio Grill surprises me if they didn't tell you when you booked it was under construction. Which Tower? If you were that unhappy, and i have been, gone back down stairs and talked to the front desk manager and if you have status with Marriott so the better. Second option walk across the street to the Westin or the Sheraton. Just think we will soon all be one happy family!!
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by edgewood49
It sounds like they were remodeling the Kuhio Grill ? I just looked and no notice. I have been staying here since two days after they took it over, and that was a long time ago and in all that time I have never had a bad stay some better than others, the Kuhio Grill surprises me if they didn't tell you when you booked it was under construction. Which Tower? If you were that unhappy, and i have been, gone back down stairs and talked to the front desk manager and if you have status with Marriott so the better. Second option walk across the street to the Westin or the Sheraton. Just think we will soon all be one happy family!!
I used the 'app' to send my displeasure with the room and lack of chair. They didn't respond for 24 hours.

If they are remodeling the Kuhio grill, it appears to be taking a while and it makes me wonder how bad the presentation of the food is there?

The Mai tai 'punch' that is included in the resort fee was disgusting. I'll bet my cars antifreeze has better taste than that chemical Mai Tai mix the bar serves.

Trust me, I would have booked my usual Sheraton Waikiki or Westin Moana Surfrider if they were available. Never again with these boring, low-quality Marriots.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.