Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach, Singapore [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email: [email protected]
Reservations email:
[email protected]
Duty manager: [email protected]

April 2017 Photos - see posts 45-51

From website: In Executive Lounge no children below 12 years allowed after 7pm and smart casual attire is required-no shorts/slippers

As of 2023, shorts seem to have been removed from the lounge dress code exclusion. ElevatorEnthusiast definitely wore them.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach, Singapore [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Ok just finished up my stay here. This hotel will not be for everyone but overall we had a fantastic stay. I will remark that I always stay at Conrad in Singapore but I just knew over NY that the lounge would be packed and fancied a change. Good opportunity to burn some marriot points also.

Booked this on points for family stay over New Year. The hotels policy is you have to book a premier room to be able to fit a rollaway bed. I booked a deluxe on points and phoned the hotel to see if they could pre upgrade to premier for being Gold elite as did not want to get to hotel and not be able to fit a rollaway. This was granted which was very gracious of them.

Arrived at hotel after a $19 SGD cab fare from airport. Reception is not grand but is a narrow area that got incredibly crowded on New Years eve when lots of people checking in.

Checked in by lovely staff but had to prompt here on lounge access, late checkout etc. Don't think system recognised status.

This is where the only negative of the stay was. Got up to room and even for a premier room was tiny. There was no way a rollaway bed was going to fit in the room. I don't want to know how small a standard room is. After maybe an hour and them bringing up the rollaway to get it to fit, managed to get them to upgrade to bigger room. It was handled well eventually with someone senior coming to us in lounge to explain this and all luggage was transferred over.

Rooms are gorgeous. Very modern style which might not be to some peoples tastes but done very nicely. Bedding and pillows great. One thing I appreciated was the rollaway bed was given a proper feather pillow and down duvet.

Our room which I am not sure was a suite or not had a massive entryway and very large bathroom. Bidet toilet, separate shower room and tub. Jo Malone toiletries which I have never seen in a hotel and what a treat. Some of our favourites.

I would agree with what has been said above about the technology. In my opinion too much. Having to go onto tv to open curtains and blinds etc. I don't mind a panel by the bed but on tv a little much. Plug sockets were plentiful and in good locations. No nespresso machine which was slightly disappointing.

Turndown was done well with really cool slippers and chocolates on pillow.

The lounge at this place is very impressive though. It is a beautiful design barring the aluminium looking silver chairs. Breakfast is a great spread and presented extremely well. Made to order noodles, eggs etc and good hot selection. Nice little bottles of juice and smoked salmon.Afternoon tea has lovely selection of pastries and little scones. Big jars of cookies and M&M's etc also. I will admit in the evening I was never in lounge very long and didn't even look at the food as I was in Singapore. Not going to just eat appetisers in the lounge when Little India is just a short stroll away. I will say though they served Moet on free flow. End of!

Staff in lounge were amazing though. Much better than the Conrad and could have great conversation with them. Not to mention beautiful! The lounge manager, Amy I think here name, was one of the most impressive hotel staff I have come across in a while. Kudos to the lounge staff.

The pool on the 18th floor is a fun space with great views. Again as said above it is not on top floor so doesn't get much sun and therefore water never got that warm. Gym is very impressive. Jun the gym manager I think who work on 18th floor again was an incredibly impressive employee. Could not have done more to make my time on 18th floor in gym and pool more enjoyable. Always smiling and just great customer service, so shout out to Jun.

Didn't visit any restaurants in hotel or bars but 'Tonic' looked nice and the 'Flow 18" the bar on top floor seems like it could be a great spot on a nice night. Restaurant recommendation is 'Black cow' which is 100 yards away from front door and just downstairs. Go for the lunch set menu. You won't regret it. One of my favourite places in SG.

One more thing to note the artwork they have at the front entrance is mesmerising. This electronic colourful pattern that is constantly changing. Very impressive. I also like the location of this hotel. Still close to the marina but also being easier to walk to Orchard and Little India for example than Conrad.

Overall as a family we were impressed. Looking at prices it seems priced slightly higher than the Conrad at the moment but that may be due to Hilton Sale at the moment. The hotel will not be everyone's cup of tea. It is very modern and funky. Almost an art hotel. There is still the small touches of being a new hotel with the staff but overall they staff are incredibly professional and well mannered. I have no doubts this will become one of top hotels in SG.
Attached Images           
Old Dec 31, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
More photos
Attached Images       
Old Dec 31, 2016, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the detailed trip report w/ pictures! Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 5:06 am

NYE stay

I also stayed here for one night using points. And for 14000 points or so bargain. Retailed for 650SGD. I am a newly minted platinum member due to the SPG merger but was a bit disappointed with status recognition.

Took a a cab ride from Sheraton towers took 10 mins no problems. Porters were proactive opening doors etc pretty good. You can still tell they are finding their feet. Was brought to the reception area but was told to sit at the couch. People were everywhere and some people arrived later and got served first l. They need a Marriott rewards desk as well. So peeved off with that and waited 20 mins until we were served.

Didnt tell me what I'm eligible for etc as a platinum member. No recognition. Had to prompt if room was upgraded. I think we were just looking at the room types and the big hallway in the room. Amy served me she was nice think she is Korean so there is a bit of language barrier there so probably why status wasn't recognised.

When the the bags were brought the porter told me what I'm eligible for 500 points and lounge access.

the lounge is on level 2, staff were excellent in there asking what you'd like etc . There was even a bar tender there for evening canapés and were serving lots of whisky s and champagne free flowing! Lots of cold cuts and some hot foods like fried prawn and dumplings. You can have a dinner meal there if you don't feel like going out or if u have a family. Breakfast spread was more impressive. Opens at 6 as well. Plenty of pastries, noodles, cook to order eggs, salmon, juices etc.

the room was nice. Think it was a premier room. I didn't get John Malone goodies but it was another brand maybe the hotel prior to marriot. It had south beach on it. Blinds were electronic and curtains. However you couldn't open up the blinds fully. Great view of the fireworks from our room." Despite being on level 12. Turn down service was good with slippers and a white cloth laid out. There was also a complimentary shoe shine service and butler cubby hole there. However I prOmpted a few times to take the shoes and they didn't until I called twice . However I don't think they really shined it ...

tried to book the restaursnt akira back but was full unless I wanted to have it at 6pm. There seems to be an ice bar tonic bar below but didn't have enough time to try it out .

Overall Ll pleasant stay still a few teething issues and not sure about marriots platinum status recognition is like . Ienif suite available should they upgrade u etc.

would come back if using points doe sure
Old Jan 1, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Looking to book here in March but can't decide as I am traveling with family so 2 adults 2 kids (12 and 15). Max occupancy for all the rooms is 3 including suites. Usually have no problems adding a rollaway bed to accommodate everyone esp with suite. Grand Hyatt allows 3 adults and 1 child 12 and under for a suite occupancy. Might try emailing hotel to see if what they say. Any experiences?
Old Jan 1, 2017, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rookie10
Looking to book here in March but can't decide as I am traveling with family so 2 adults 2 kids (12 and 15). Max occupancy for all the rooms is 3 including suites. Usually have no problems adding a rollaway bed to accommodate everyone esp with suite. Grand Hyatt allows 3 adults and 1 child 12 and under for a suite occupancy. Might try emailing hotel to see if what they say. Any experiences?
Did you read post #16 (4 above yours) where they talked about rollaway?

Cheers.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 10:38 pm

rookie10, can maybe help a little with this. I was told you must book atlas a premier room to allow a rollaway. We got kindly pre-upgraded to this room but even so it was small. There would be no way to put a rollaway in without blocking access to either wardrobes, people getting out of bed or just generally being a nuisance.

Our third person was an adult so only had one rollaway. After pleading with them they kindly gave us a bigger room. I am not sure if this was a suite as they never said but was plenty big enough for a rollaway and potentially two at a squeeze. That was one of the only things we didn't like about the place was the room sizes. I have no experience of the GH so cannot help you there. Too me it sounds like the GH may be the better option. Also to note for your kids the pool at the top, although it may be a great spot with views its not the biggest as doesn't have any kind of lounging around the side. It is not resort style at all. Not the kind of area kids can really take advantage of.

Hope this helps and if you want to know anything else about hotel just let me know. Best.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Did you read post #16 (4 above yours) where they talked about rollaway?

Cheers.
Hi Sharon..yes I read the above posts. The issue is that the Larger Suite rooms are available to book however one cannot get past booking with a party of 4 at this property. Max Occupancy for all the suites listed is 3. The space is more than enough for my family since the youngest can share the king, and the oldest can have her own rollaway. But the property may feel different.

Thanks ESFLYER95 for the feedback, but traveling with 4.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Looking forward to my first stay in Singapore of seven nights in september. Nice and fresh is always something I'm looking for and this seems to be the case with JW South beach. Even so with the recently renovated but oldish Marriott Tang Plaza but I fancy the style of JW a little bit more.

Last edited by joakgarp; Jan 2, 2017 at 10:44 am
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Hi Sharon..yes I read the above posts. The issue is that the Larger Suite rooms are available to book however one cannot get past booking with a party of 4 at this property. Max Occupancy for all the suites listed is 3. The space is more than enough for my family since the youngest can share the king, and the oldest can have her own rollaway. But the property may feel different.

Thanks ESFLYER95 for the feedback, but traveling with 4.
I'd contact the property & mention the above. They might let you book for 4.

Cheers.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
excellent. Love to hear the lounge is fantastic. Just booked a 7 night stay for early March.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by stevoplaystation
I also stayed here for one night using points. And for 14000 points or so bargain.
I think this statement maybe confusing for some people who are not SPG members. It should be 40k MR points per night.

Last edited by lcpteck; Jan 7, 2017 at 11:59 pm Reason: highlight
Old Jan 8, 2017, 3:14 am
Suspended

Please delete my other two posts , sorry.

Thanks for the sharing and pics, but I think you were fooled by the hotel. This is their smallest standard room, it is not even a premier room. A premier room is over 40 square meters with spacious seating area.

They just moved away the couch so to fit a rollaway bed.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 3:26 am
Suspended

This is their premier room aka showcase you.

The layout of bathroom is also different.

Sorry, but you do know how small their standard room is. It's not that bad. But Marriott tends to be smaller in room size comparing to GH orIC
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: SPG, MR, Aeroplan, UAMP, BAEC
Very nice impression

Stayed there just for one night this week. Interior of public space and inside room is modern and kinda trendy. Executive lounge serves alcohol including Champagne during evening cocktail hours from 5:30pm to 9:30 pm and light meals from 5:30pm to 7:30pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.