Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Introducing: Mobile Check-In Exclusively at Marriott Hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2013, 7:15 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Marriott doesn't have online check in?

The benefit is more control over the process. Hilton will offer room upgrades at check in usually at prices less than what you would've paid had you booked that particular room outright. It's similar to how some airlines will offer upgrades at the kiosk.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
I don't get it either. I gotta see someone anyway to get the key. Hell, I usually don't OLCI on flights either. Especially if I have to check a bag. Gotta see someone to get that tagged and checked.
I'll do OLCI for flights even if checking bags, as it can help w/ where you are in the upgrade queue. However, airline upgrades are truly automated. Hotel upgrades can be more influenced by human interaction.

I was at a property earlier this year where (due to a contact there) I had already received a nice upgrade. When checking in & joking w/ the FDC, I said hey the XX suite (ie, the best they had) isn't available by chance is it; it's my birthday (true). She said let me check. Alas it's not, but I can give you the YY suite (which was fantastic).

Cheers.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by LetsGoToo
The benefit is more control over the process. Hilton will offer room upgrades at check in usually at prices less than what you would've paid had you booked that particular room outright. It's similar to how some airlines will offer upgrades at the kiosk.
So why not just do that at the front desk as you have to go there anyways? No point in checking in online and then again at the desk.

Now, if Marriott had some bar code scanner that was your room key, that would be different.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Here's another benefit (I think) to OLCI. As part of the process, I'm asked to select my check in and check out times. Many times I like to blast out of there early in the morning, so I'll put in a 7 AM check out. They then know that my room can be released to housekeeping early on. Does this increase my chances of scoring an upgrade if they know that the room will be available early? Who knows, but I like to think so. My upgrade success is pretty good.

I love being able to pick a room. When I do OLCI at a Homewood Suites, I can see a layout of the property. Since I love to grill, I'll pick out a room near an elevator where the first floor is near a door to the patio area.

My global HHonors profile says I prefer high floors, which I do at most properties, but this could mean that I end up in a room with a nice view furthest away from the grill if it wasn't for OLCI.

It would be nice to be able to do the same thing when I'm at a RI.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
So why not just do that at the front desk as you have to go there anyways? No point in checking in online and then again at the desk.

Now, if Marriott had some bar code scanner that was your room key, that would be different.
They do it for the same reason most airlines do it -- it's more efficient.

Hilton sometimes has four or five upgrade options, that would take much longer for a FD person to go thru.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
It would be extremely annoying to have the FD try to upsell me.

The only permissible upgrade discussion is:

N965VJ: "Are any Plat / Diamond upgrades available?"
FD: "Ah, yes, we have a jr. suite."

^
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ
Here's another benefit (I think) to OLCI. As part of the process, I'm asked to select my check in and check out times.
I can probably give an approximate check-in (short of airline delays) but a check-out could vary & I wouldn't want to be held to it.

Cheers.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:15 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

The benefit is more control over the process. Hilton will offer room upgrades at check in usually at prices less than what you would've paid had you booked that particular room outright.
Since elite upgrades are supposed to be complimentary, it sounds like that it's actually Hilton that has more control over the process.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:36 am

Mobile Check-In is now available to Marriott Rewards members exclusively at Marriott Hotels® in North America. With our app, you can:
• Check in from anywhere
• Receive an alert when your room is ready
• When you arrive, go directly to the Mobile Check-In desk, and we'll have your key waiting
• Mobile Check-In, just another perk for Marriott Rewards Members who book on our app or on Marriott.com
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:05 am

Existing thread on it for a while.

Cheers.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), Marriott lifetime Plat
Hypothetically speaking, of course...

...would the mobile check-in app eliminate the need for a guest to actually, ahem, show up? If not, then I can envision a "virtual mattress run..."
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:48 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by busyexec331
...would the mobile check-in app eliminate the need for a guest to actually, ahem, show up? If not, then I can envision a "virtual mattress run..."
Doubtful as you still need to physically pick up the keys; hotels will undoubtedly still mark those who fail to show up to pick up keys as no shows.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 4:45 pm

Programs: MR PremPlat, DL DM 1M, AA Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
The FS property just started to offer the mobile c/i option. I will try it to see any difference in the c/i experience. I wonder if the c/i option also makes you choose your welcome gift. I've been staying at the FS property for over a year now so I actually need to remind them some times about my welcome gift.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 4:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Saw the email in my inbox.. have not really checked it out so I am gong to be lazy and ask here:
Can the App confirm upgrades? Can you see what room/floor you may get and change it? Will using on-line check in negate any possibility of a suite upgrade?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Saw the email in my inbox.. have not really checked it out so I am gong to be lazy and ask here:
Can the App confirm upgrades? Can you see what room/floor you may get and change it? Will using on-line check in negate any possibility of a suite upgrade?
Used it yesterday. Biggest benefit is it allows you to request early checkin and notifies you when room is ready. Doesn't indicate your room assignment. The Marriott I stayed at wasn't as big as others so checkin was same at the desk but at big ones they claim you can just walk in and pickup your key card. The staff seemed to be all excited about it. It would be nice if it notified you of upgrades. Instead I had to ask and got what they claimed was a better room, but it was the same as a cy and they had no suites available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.