Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by sethweinstein
Today I shucked my 2 $200 MCGCs and then thought, what the heck, and added a bottle of water. Total $415 and change. About 2.5 hours later I got a notification of the $20 Uber credit.

It didn't work for me the time before, when all I bought was 2 $200 VGCs. So I don't know if VGC vs. MCGC matters, or if the bottle of water triggered it, or if I had added the card too recently last time (it was just a couple minutes before the purchase).

Seth
I got nothin for MCGCs. I did randomly get $20 Uber credit for a VGC order on staples.com(just one, not others)
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:44 am

I'm not familiar and am unable to find info on the staples/uber rebate. Might someone be able to point me in the right direction to review the info? TY in advance.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:54 am

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Staples+uber

Then about 5 or 6 down is milestomemories
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:39 am

Today I shucked my 2 $200 MCGCs and then thought, what the heck, and added a bottle of water. Total $415 and change. About 2.5 hours later I got a notification of the $20 Uber credit.

It didn't work for me the time before, when all I bought was 2 $200 VGCs. So I don't know if VGC vs. MCGC matters, or if the bottle of water triggered it, or if I had added the card too recently last time (it was just a couple minutes before the purchase).

Seth
Was the bottle of water scanned before the 2 $200 MCGC or after by the Staples CSR?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Was the bottle of water scanned before the 2 $200 MCGC or after by the Staples CSR?
After.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:29 pm

Anyone know how strict Staple policy is? I had a weird experience at my another staples i went to. Bought $600 worth of MCGC due to the promotion. lady basically grabbed my ink+ card, she herself stuck the card into the machine and held it there until my transaction went though...

all the other times i bought gift cards, i did the sticking in my own card.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by BuBu4
Anyone know how strict Staple policy is? I had a weird experience at my another staples i went to. Bought $600 worth of MCGC due to the promotion. lady basically grabbed my ink+ card, she herself stuck the card into the machine and held it there until my transaction went though...

if you want more, just go another time when she's not there.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:02 am
soy

Programs: various

Seth
Which bank issued the Visa, and was it the same card you used both times?
It could be that some banks are getting more detailed info on the transaction.

Yesterday using my CSR card, I added a pack of gum to my purchase right after he scanned the 2xMCGC, but no Uber credit for me
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.

I think that is just a local store policy. Two of the Staples stores in my area call Chase(assuming you are paying with a Chase card) to authorize the transaction anytime someone buys gift cards. But other staples stores in my area don't do that at all, and often don't even look at my ID when I buy gift cards.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:28 am

mine used to be cool about several b2b transactions.....now 2 of 3 stores won't allow it.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by soy
Which bank issued the Visa, and was it the same card you used both times?
It could be that some banks are getting more detailed info on the transaction.

Yesterday using my CSR card, I added a pack of gum to my purchase right after he scanned the 2xMCGC, but no Uber credit for me
It was the same Chase Ink Cash both times. Weird that it's so hit-and-miss!

Seth
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:27 am

Wally World?

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
Wally World.
Wally World?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Staples+uber

Then about 5 or 6 down is milestomemories
Thank you so very much!
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Not VGC, but I only got 1% uber credits today instead of 10%. <$100 purchases had been getting 10% before, even with non-V GCs
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:43 am

lady basically grabbed my ink+ card, she herself stuck the card into the machine and held it there until my transaction went though
I've had problems with Staples registers where their chip reader fails to read my card. Maybe the cashier just knew that the register was flaky and only works if she holds the card a certain way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.