Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
I'm having a devil of a time liquidating the Amex GC. In the past, I used to do sunnies at wally world, but somehow amex seems to be blocking that. So, first time that happened, I unloaded at hyvee for some $500 meta visa gc with no issues, but now amex appears to be blocking them too. Anyone else have advice to unload them? I have no CVS, but do have Sams and Walgreens.
i used plastiq. 2.5% fee though.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by BuBu4
i used plastiq. 2.5% fee though.
I did do two payments on them for a couple utilities. Just regular spending the rest as much as it pains me for Amex to win.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:11 am

Starting this Sunday, $15 Staples GC rebate on $300 MCGC.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Flyby01
Starting this Sunday, $15 Staples GC rebate on $300 MCGC.
Thanks!
Best way to liquidate MGC?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by poisonsag
Thanks!
Just add it to your Amazon account!
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by ST4LKER
Just add it to your Amazon account!
We can just get amazon gc from staples and get 5x instead of buying 400 of MGC and then liquidating that into amazon. Don't really make sense doing it right?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:27 pm

Thanks!
Wally World.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:49 pm

We can just get amazon gc from staples and get 5x instead of buying 400 of MGC and then liquidating that into amazon. Don't really make sense doing it right?
No, it doesn't make sense. Have answered your non-sense question accordingly.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by ST4LKER
No, it doesn't make sense. Have answered your non-sense question accordingly.
Lol...so you dont know the answer? thanks...for nothing! ^
Old Sep 15, 2017, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
Wally World.
I guess that is the only option then! thanks!
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:16 pm

Strange thing, went in today to buy the MCGCs. Nothing left over over $25. VGC were also wiped clean. only the amex cards were there. either someone cleared their inventory or they pulled the big notations off...

not gonna buy $300 of $25 mcgcs... lol

edit: ive been buying all the staples promotions for the past 5 weeks, they always had it fully stocked.

Last edited by BuBu4; Sep 17, 2017 at 10:34 pm
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by BuBu4
Strange thing, went in today to buy the MCGCs. Nothing left over over $25. VGC were also wiped clean. only the amex cards were there. either someone cleared their inventory or they pulled the big notations off...

not gonna buy $300 of $25 mcgcs... lol

edit: ive been buying all the staples promotions for the past 5 weeks, they always had it fully stocked.
Did you ask one of the clerks if they had any stored away? I have been to Staples where they keep the big denomination cards at the register during promotions (for whatever reason) and dole them out when you ask for them.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:27 am

While I saw that gift cards are exempt, has anyone who has gone to Staples for this rebate seen the Uber promo show up. It's 10% back at Staples through the end of the month. Just curious.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Didn't work for me on two transactions with my INk+. Each had 2 $200 MCGC and another third party GC for about $25.

not sure if it is the amount because earlier this month I bought a few real items and some GCs for about $50 and got the Uber CB. Tried with a larger mixed transaction close to $200 and didn't get the credit either.

Id like to figure out how exactly this works but for me it is just an added bonus if it works.

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
While I saw that gift cards are exempt, has anyone who has gone to Staples for this rebate seen the Uber promo show up. It's 10% back at Staples through the end of the month. Just curious.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Today I shucked my 2 $200 MCGCs and then thought, what the heck, and added a bottle of water. Total $415 and change. About 2.5 hours later I got a notification of the $20 Uber credit.

It didn't work for me the time before, when all I bought was 2 $200 VGCs. So I don't know if VGC vs. MCGC matters, or if the bottle of water triggered it, or if I had added the card too recently last time (it was just a couple minutes before the purchase).

Seth

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.