Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by shitrus
don't know why you guys were so happy with fee-free MOs from the PO, a place where you can get as many in a day as you want. Its liquidation heaven if your cards work there. Why ruin a good thing?
Greed combined with a wayward moral compass. And a lack of foresight and commonsense.

But mostly greed.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by shitrus
don't know why you guys were so happy with fee-free MOs from the PO, a place where you can get as many in a day as you want. Its liquidation heaven if your cards work there. Why ruin a good thing?
There's one PO I go to to get a single money order. One day the worker at the counter said "sorry, can't do these anymore. One guy came in and wanted me to do $15k. He was very insistent about it even though there was a long line behind him."

Then there's another where they stopped doing two swipes. The first swipe worked, however the second didn't and they couldn't get the money refunded on the second card for 20 minutes, also while everyone waited in line. Of course common sense is to ALWAYS have a bank debit card just in case this happens. But nahhhhhh.

Now we have people posting pictures of $200 gift cards from Walmart asking which ones work. Going up and asking for two swipes is risky enough...but five? Good luck this lasting another month.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Jesperss
Going up and asking for two swipes is risky enough...but five? Good luck this lasting another month.
oh my sweet summer child
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:35 pm

Went to the USPS location on State St in South Loop, Chicago. The clerk asked to see my card and my ID. I told her that I left my ID at home, then left. Avoid this location.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by poisson
Went to the USPS location on State St in South Loop, Chicago. The clerk asked to see my card and my ID. I told her that I left my ID at home, then left. Avoid this location.
that is why I Always have my old T-Mobile DC available, Id just hand it over with my ID and when it comes time to input the pin I just make up any and its declined, then I say I dont get it they made me change it this morning and now it doesnt work, what a bunch of idiots. Just make sure the exp date is still valid

since the names will match they wont think youre trying to pull a fast one, and off you go w/o the MO but at least they wont think youre up to no good
cajunguy likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by el_pistolero
Hello, I am new to MS. I have read through the posts and this is my understanding.

1. Go to CVS and buy 2 $500 OVGCs
2. Take them to USPS and ask for a $998.4 money order.
and the $1.6 fee will be used against the MO fee.

Is my understanding correct?
Please let me know. I am trying to MS $1000 this weekend.

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys,

I went to CVS the other day and looked for the OVGC.
I did not buy it because I wanted to confirm on this forum if I am buying the right product or not.

It was in a black envelope issued by The Bancorpbank and it says non-re loadable. Is this what I am supposed to buy?

Thank you.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Yes, indeed. Time to review which credit cards used to pay the fee can get multi X going postal?
I use USB AR w/Samsung Pay. 3x for mobile wallet category. Amex BGR can also give 3x, if you select shipping as 3x category. Ink Preferred should also give 3x.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Originally Posted by Ultraboost
What exactly was she looking for, a signature?
Originally Posted by Majuki
I think it's force of habit since USPS checks for properly signed cards when using a credit card.
Not sure, but she mentioned the last 4 digits of the cards "XXXX, ok, and XXXX." Of course, I didn't really notice if she was looking at the front or back when she said it. Maybe the signature is right
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:49 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry

I went to CVS the other day and looked for the OVGC.
I did not buy it because I wanted to confirm on this forum if I am buying the right product or not.

Is this what I am supposed to buy?
Someone will come by to take you and walk you through the steps you can get here by reading and reading some more.

From your "I read the threads" statement, you didn't grasp what you were reading or didn't read enough.

Read again until November.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by mhdena
Someone will come by to take you and walk you through the steps you can get here by reading and reading some more.

From your "I read the threads" statement, you didn't grasp what you were reading or didn't read enough.

Read again until November.
Thanks for the sound advice.

I got confused because of the non-reloadable part mentioned on the OVGC.
Again don't bother replying to my posts ever.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:25 am

that's true, it can be confusing especially for newbies; the reloadable ones that requires registration sold at DS are called MyVanillaDebit.

buy the one that say's OneVanilla but for starters, I suggest small amounts for your first MO run. Good luck!
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
that's true, it can be confusing especially for newbies; the reloadable ones that requires registration sold at DS are called MyVanillaDebit.

buy the one that say's OneVanilla but for starters, I suggest small amounts for your first MO run. Good luck!
Thank you! I am here for people like you genuinely like to help.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 23, 2017 at 9:40 am Reason: snark
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:07 pm

Thread wiki says: Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases.

Au Contraire: I used two Green Dot Visa GCs to purchase $1k MO. Smooth as silk, no problems.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Always YMMV in this game.

Originally Posted by tuphat
Thread wiki says: Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases.

Au Contraire: I used two Green Dot Visa GCs to purchase $1k MO. Smooth as silk, no problems.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:32 am

Thanks for the sound advice.

Again don't bother replying to my posts ever.
There are OneVanilla Prepaid Visa Cards and OneVanilla Visa Gift Cards that come in $20-$500 variable load amounts. My experience is 'Prepaids' come with a $4.95 fee; GCs varieties (birthday, wedding, congrats, etc) have fees from $4.95-6.95. Prepaids and GCs work identically. Neither needs to be registered; neither can be reloaded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.