Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptom
Yes, it is a daily occurrence. Feel free to read the threads in this forums for hundreds of others running into that problem. You are very lucky she did it for you
What is the appropriate response if this happens again and they say no to GCs? Anything I can do other than just walking out?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by jaym22
What is the appropriate response if this happens again and they say no to GCs? Anything I can do other than just walking out?

The appropriate response? "I didn't know that, thank you for your time"

The response you want to hear from us? "Well, under code 12.3.90 of the Postal Service Act of 1979 you are required to accept any sort of payment and will do so, it's my right as a tax paying citizen that you accept this gift cards as payment for a money order"
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:30 am

Anyone having problems with 5+ swipes at the PO? I typically get 2x$1000 in MOs and use a 5th debit/gift card to pay the fees. For the past two weeks, 5th swipe gets declined even though funds are there and PIN is correct. This had been working for 8+ months. Decline doesn't show up on card activity.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by wyle.
Anyone having problems with 5+ swipes at the PO? I typically get 2x$1000 in MOs and use a 5th debit/gift card to pay the fees. For the past two weeks, 5th swipe gets declined even though funds are there and PIN is correct. This had been working for 8+ months. Decline doesn't show up on card activity.
Yes I've been getting declined on the last swipe also. I use a debit card to pay the fees.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
I just roll the fees into it so its a net zero transaction with gift cards.

998.40 mo, 1996.80 mo, 2995.20 mo, etc.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:46 am

Hello, I am new to MS. I have read through the posts and this is my understanding.

1. Go to CVS and buy 2 $500 OVGCs
2. Take them to USPS and ask for a $998.4 money order.
and the $1.6 fee will be used against the MO fee.

Is my understanding correct?
Please let me know. I am trying to MS $1000 this weekend.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by el_pistolero
Welcome to FlyerTalk. Yes, your understanding is correct. You also need to specify $500 on the first debit card. Understand that some locations will ask to see the card, so you might not be able to get the $998.40 MO.

There's a sticky thread titled New to Manufactured Spending? Start here(2017). It's a good resource to get started.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Majuki
Welcome to FlyerTalk. Yes, your understanding is correct. You also need to specify $500 on the first debit card. Understand that some locations will ask to see the card, so you might not be able to get the $998.40 MO.

There's a sticky thread titled New to Manufactured Spending? Start here(2017). It's a good resource to get started.

Thank you. May be I start with a $500 GC and get a $498.8 MO and see how it goes.
Also, Can you tell me which banks allow mobile phone deposit of money order?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Fly1Away1
Yes I've been getting declined on the last swipe also. I use a debit card to pay the fees.
Today, I got declined even for the 3rd swipe(first two were swipes were for 2 $500 mastercard), tried with a Chase debit card. No go. Cashier asked for the card and ran the amount (1.60 remaining at that time) as CREDIT-it went through. She said, 'don't ask me why/how''? I was dumbfounded.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: SPG preferred, AA, United
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...tm-2017-a.html
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by el_pistolero
Hello, I am new to MS. I have read through the posts and this is my understanding.

1. Go to CVS and buy 2 $500 OVGCs
2. Take them to USPS and ask for a $998.4 money order.
and the $1.6 fee will be used against the MO fee.

Please let me know. I am trying to MS $1000 this weekend.

Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't do $1k for a first run. Try $478.32 or something.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by lovetofly4mchicago
Today, I got declined even for the 3rd swipe(first two were swipes were for 2 $500 mastercard), tried with a Chase debit card. No go. Cashier asked for the card and ran the amount (1.60 remaining at that time) as CREDIT-it went through. She said, 'don't ask me why/how''? I was dumbfounded.
Yep, I tried the same thing today. No dice on the third swipe with a real debit card. Paid cash for the fee. Then tried to purchase a stamp with the same debit card. Worked fine.
Looks like they've changed the payment algorithm. I call it that because one time a GC failed and I had to use real debit for final $500 + fee swipe. It showed up on statement as two charges with the fee amount designated as an ATM fee. Nice for the bank to refund MO fees for a while. I might try paying the fee amount first with the debit card and then go with the GCs or see if my sweetheart clerk will try the credit route. Thanks for the DP.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by wyle.
Yep, I tried the same thing today. No dice on the third swipe with a real debit card. Paid cash for the fee.
Can't the fee itself can be paid with a credit card, but the MO amount has to be cash/debit?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
Can't the fee itself can be paid with a credit card, but the MO amount has to be cash/debit?
Sounds like that may be the case. I've always used debit/gift card with PIN for the fee, but thats not working now. Debit/gift cards can usually run as credit too. Great if that works or possibly racking up huge rewards paying MO fees with an actual credit card.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:25 am

looks like they may have finally fixed the glitch......glad to hear..... pay the fee with cc at the end or work it into the price of your last mo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.