Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bellbm
I got shut down at a post office in downtown chicago today (worked fine there 2 weeks ago). Clerk asked me to see the card I was paying with, showed a B of A debit card. Then swiped my GC, she said "it look like you changed cards". And then refused to do the transaction. She went to get the supervisor, but the supervisor was out. She said I could talk to the postal inspector if I want.

I went to one a few blocks away and had no issues.

I think we have to hope for clerks who have short term memories, new clerks, ones who just don't care, or maybe even just do one transaction for $500 (and be sneakier about changing the card).

What other places can I liquidate OVGCs at?
Or maybe hope for people not trying to .... it up for the rest of us in Chicago.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by chener
For those of you with cheaper avenues of liquidating OVGCs (eg, grocery stores), are any of you still bothering with USPS? If so, why?
because there are no walmarts in my area.

as of today, mcgc by us bank are still working at the po's in ny.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 6:35 pm

Hi Experts,
Does Vanilla VGC from Bancorp still work for MO at POS? i have read the last 5 pages but could not find the answer, thank you!
Old Jun 11, 2017, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by hondaman82
Hi Experts,
Does Vanilla VGC from Bancorp still work for MO at POS? i have read the last 5 pages but could not find the answer, thank you!
still worked for me as of last week in the northeast.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: SPG preferred, AA, United
Hi Experts,
worked this past Friday for me
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:48 pm

Hi Experts,
I did 2 OVGC at PO this morning just fine. Two OVGC, 2 different PO. In all I have tried 5 different PO to mix it up and have had zero issues.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 4:32 pm

Well my little one man USPS shop had a system update he didn't even know about and his terminal won't allow the splitting of payment anymore. OVGC still worked but now have to buy 2@$498.40.
I still use USPS because it is super convenient to me at work.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by cpnyc
because there are no walmarts in my area.

As of today, mcgc by us bank are still working at the po's in ny.
Interesting, USBANK MCGC with https://www.prepaidgiftbalance.com/ in the back and BIN of 516578 fails for me at USPS with an error like "general transaction error"..

First time, I tried the PIN that came in the package,
Second attempt was after I changed the PIN over phone.

These cards were purchased at Kroger.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:16 pm

Wiki says VGC issue by Green dot from walmart doesn't work for MO at USPS, but today I was able to do it. Did I just got lucky or wiki isn't updated?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by T3pleShot
Interesting, USBANK MCGC with https://www.prepaidgiftbalance.com/ in the back and BIN of 516578 fails for me at USPS with an error like "general transaction error"..

First time, I tried the PIN that came in the package,
Second attempt was after I changed the PIN over phone.

These cards were purchased at Kroger.
mine was purchased at whole foods. worked ok with the pin that was inside the package. maybe it's a regional thing?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:57 am

Programs: Several dozen
Beware regional failures, they were popping up weeks before the Black Death rolled across the land with Meta cards. Keep your inventories low!

Originally Posted by cpnyc
mine was purchased at whole foods. worked ok with the pin that was inside the package. maybe it's a regional thing?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: All the programs!
I think we have to hope for clerks who have short term memories, new clerks, ones who just don't care, or maybe even just do one transaction for $500 (and be sneakier about changing the card).
Postal workers, and government employees, tend to stick around for awhile.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:51 am

I think we have to hope for clerks who just don't care...
That's been my motto for quite some time. There's a PO I go to in a pretty bad neighborhood. The clerks barely look up or say hello. I simply ask for a $495 money order and I have my payment ready in hand. No questions asked.

(Quick case in point...there was a crackhead in there the other day with three used postage stamps trying to get a refund for cash back. It took 3 clerks to get rid of him finally. So after dealing with that, the clerk didn't care about verifying what kind of debit card I was using.)
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:23 pm

Hi Experts,
They do in my area.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 17, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by cheaptom
That's been my motto for quite some time. There's a PO I go to in a pretty bad neighborhood. The clerks barely look up or say hello. I simply ask for a $495 money order and I have my payment ready in hand. No questions asked.

(Quick case in point...there was a crackhead in there the other day with three used postage stamps trying to get a refund for cash back. It took 3 clerks to get rid of him finally. So after dealing with that, the clerk didn't care about verifying what kind of debit card I was using.)
I don't smoke crack and those clerks were very rude to me! I had a legitimate reason for asking for a refund on my used stamps. I'm glad I could help out.

Got any spare change?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.