Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Note: The 2017 posts are here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819656-five-back-visa-card-2017-a.html

EDIT 2/3/17 @ 6pm: Rumors suggest Kmart is (or perhaps already has) dropped out of the program. We have two DPs of swipes at Kmart on 2/2 that received 5B on 2/3 (posts #1395 and #1400). Perhaps swipes through "end of week" will receive 5B... could mean 'til the end of Friday 2/3 or Sunday 2/5 or who knows. Please post DPs.

CVS - No longer working
Kmart - Hit & Miss for buying MOs
Staples & Staples.com - Confirmed working but limited to $200/$300 cards
Lowes - Confirmed working but limited to $200 cards

EDIT 1/29/17: Making 5B great again!

EDIT 1/28/17: The gravy train is over

EDIT 1/20/17 @ 2pm EST: At least 2 DPs of 5B posting today (1/20/17) from CVS transactions that took place on Thursday 1/19.

EDIT 1/18/17: CVS is still part of the 5B program. You should still be getting 5B for purchases there. If you aren't, then you should call in. There is no use in posting DPs until on or after the 1/20/17 published CV-Sexit.
Print Wikipost

Five Back Visa Gift Card? (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
...Once my $10 from CVS posts I cash it out at a grocery store.
That makes sense to me as well. I misunderstood your earlier comment that you were charging "several $100" of groceries on each five-back card.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:24 pm

should i use the card as credit or debit at CVS ?

i purchased OV using these cards as Debit 2 days back , but still havent received any credit . Should i wait or call them or whether it is not at all eligible since i used as debit ?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Why the struggle? Most grocery stores can auto-drain them. I do it all the time when I have GCs with small amounts piling up. For example I used these Five back cards to buy several $100 of whole foods store credit. Free groceries for over a month!
Nice, next time around I think I prioritize these 5 back cards over the Everywhere cards. Slightly more profitable (10 - 2 - (2/5 * 4.95)) = 6.02. You just need CVS that will do it and some place to unload Vanillas.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:33 am

5 Business days ffs
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:08 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Did a test today. Bought 5x$200, then went to CVS and bought 2x$500 using credit, it autodrained. Planning to buy $50 ebay GC after that at CVS, then offload 5x50c to amazon.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yugi
Did a test today. Bought 5x$200, then went to CVS and bought 2x$500 using credit, it autodrained. Planning to buy $50 ebay GC after that at CVS, then offload 5x50c to amazon.
Out of curiosity, are you buying the Five Backs at a discount? Otherwise, it seems like a heck of a lot of hoops to jump through for a small return.

The key is finding a CVS that will let you buy a gift card with gift cards. Of the six I tried, I found one that will do it.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Out of curiosity, are you buying the Five Backs at a discount? Otherwise, it seems like a heck of a lot of hoops to jump through for a small return.

The key is finding a CVS that will let you buy a gift card with gift cards. Of the six I tried, I found one that will do it.
Do as debit. They never have to see the card.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by noturbizniss
Do as debit. They never have to see the card.
So as a debit they do not need to put in the last 4 digits into the system? Or they still need to but you can just give it to them?

Does the debit mode give the 5% back? Reading up thread some claim only in credit mode you get the 5% back. But there are also posters said debit mode also earn 5% back. So which is true?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
So as a debit they do not need to put in the last 4 digits into the system? Or they still need to but you can just give it to them?

Does the debit mode give the 5% back? Reading up thread some claim only in credit mode you get the 5% back. But there are also posters said debit mode also earn 5% back. So which is true?
Yes.
They don't.
U get it.

U put in pin say no cash back it drains and says to swipe again. I got my cb doing debit last week
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by noturbizniss
Yes.
They don't.
U get it.

U put in pin say no cash back it drains and says to swipe again. I got my cb doing debit last week
Terrific. Thank you so much for the info.

I accidentally got Five Back cards as replacement on regular cards not properly activated during last promotion at a local OD. Since the drug stores here always want to see DL and card to match names if it is paid with CC I am not sure if I could take advantage of the 5% rebate. Now I could try the debit card route and see if I could get it done the way you described. Seems like those who did not get the 5% on debit card mode was rather due to the system glitch BlackHawk had a couple weeks ago when credit card mode did not generate rebate automatically either.

Again, thank you for sharing your experiences.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by iahphx

No discount this time, just working towards meeting MSR. This is good way to meet an MSR without spending anything.
I was lucky enough to hit the right CVS from the first attempt. Will try debit next time.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 12:28 pm

BTW, I've got my $10 back the next day after transaction posted. Will head out to CVS to get $50 ebay GC.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Local CVS could not do split tender with debit mode, but can do it with credit mode. She turned the screen around for me to see "Full payment is required" after she chose split tender and I entered the PIN followed by no cash back - then the system wanted full payment. Though I am not sure whether it is due to the cashier wants to input the amount of payment instead of letting the card to auto-drain.

We switched to credit mode and she still entered the split tender with amount. System accepted each card and I read her the last 4 and the signature screen popped up. $200, $200, $104.95, done.

In any case I am grateful she even agreed to do it without insisting the card has my name on it (told her it does not but it is debit card with PIN - she said company policy required her to ask - though may not need to be enforced that is how I interpret it as she let me use the cards.)
Old Oct 29, 2016, 12:05 am

Local CVS could not do split tender with debit mode, but can do it with credit mode. She turned the screen around for me to see "Full payment is required" after she chose split tender and I entered the PIN followed by no cash back - then the system wanted full payment. Though I am not sure whether it is due to the cashier wants to input the amount of payment instead of letting the card to auto-drain.

We switched to credit mode and she still entered the split tender with amount. System accepted each card and I read her the last 4 and the signature screen popped up. $200, $200, $104.95, done.

In any case I am grateful she even agreed to do it without insisting the card has my name on it (told her it does not but it is debit card with PIN - she said company policy required her to ask - though may not need to be enforced that is how I interpret it as she let me use the cards.)
I did it today, not asking anything from the cashier, paid $50 by 5x$10 debit transactions, autodrained with no problem.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 4:40 am

I have the same experience as you with debit transaction if not the last one. Though I tried it a few months ago and with a different vgc. It would autodrain though when using credit even when not the last tranasaction. I figured debit wouldn't work (if not the last) because of the cash withdrawal option.

Since then, I never tried.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.