Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Note: The 2017 posts are here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819656-five-back-visa-card-2017-a.html

EDIT 2/3/17 @ 6pm: Rumors suggest Kmart is (or perhaps already has) dropped out of the program. We have two DPs of swipes at Kmart on 2/2 that received 5B on 2/3 (posts #1395 and #1400). Perhaps swipes through "end of week" will receive 5B... could mean 'til the end of Friday 2/3 or Sunday 2/5 or who knows. Please post DPs.

CVS - No longer working
Kmart - Hit & Miss for buying MOs
Staples & Staples.com - Confirmed working but limited to $200/$300 cards
Lowes - Confirmed working but limited to $200 cards

EDIT 1/29/17: Making 5B great again!

EDIT 1/28/17: The gravy train is over

EDIT 1/20/17 @ 2pm EST: At least 2 DPs of 5B posting today (1/20/17) from CVS transactions that took place on Thursday 1/19.

EDIT 1/18/17: CVS is still part of the 5B program. You should still be getting 5B for purchases there. If you aren't, then you should call in. There is no use in posting DPs until on or after the 1/20/17 published CV-Sexit.
Print Wikipost

Five Back Visa Gift Card? (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2016, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yugi
I did it today, not asking anything from the cashier, paid $50 by 5x$10 debit transactions, autodrained with no problem.
Did you tell the cashier you would pay with multiple cards?

Or you simply swiped your card which auto-drained and then you swiped again...

Originally Posted by lumangoy
I have the same experience as you with debit transaction if not the last one. Though I tried it a few months ago and with a different vgc. It would autodrain though when using credit even when not the last tranasaction. I figured debit wouldn't work (if not the last) because of the cash withdrawal option.

Since then, I never tried.
The last payment does not matter because the Full Amount would always be the same or smaller than the value on your last card - so it would not post any issue. Though I do not see the advantage to switch to debit mode on the last card if all the previous swipes worked as credit (and had to give the cashier the last 4 digits anyway).

My guess is, CVS POS is not standardized nationwide. Therefore what works in one region may not work the same in another region. As long as the cashier allows GC to be used for another GC, that is all that matters.

Now it is counting time on when to see the $10 rebate shows up.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 6:47 pm

Does loading these cards to SRV or BB count as a transaction (aka earn the 5% back)?
Old Oct 29, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by Happy
Did you tell the cashier you would pay with multiple cards?

Or you simply swiped your card which auto-drained and then you swiped again...

The last payment does not matter because the Full Amount would always be the same or smaller than the value on your last card - so it would not post any issue. Though I do not see the advantage to switch to debit mode on the last card if all the previous swipes worked as credit (and had to give the cashier the last 4 digits anyway).

My guess is, CVS POS is not standardized nationwide. Therefore what works in one region may not work the same in another region. As long as the cashier allows GC to be used for another GC, that is all that matters.

Now it is counting time on when to see the $10 rebate shows up.
I didn't say anything to the cashier, I just swiped the cards.
This is how it looks in the transaction log:

Authorization amount:
$30.00

Retailer name:
CVS/PHARM

Purchase date:
10/28/2016

Settlement amount:
$10.00
Old Oct 29, 2016, 8:55 pm

I got 2x FiveBack card 3 days ago, went to CVS did a test, buy a VGC for $395, so total comes to $399.50, first card, I select Debit, slide the card, put in the pin, it auto drain 200, Second I select credit, slide the card, give cashier last 4 digit.
today, 48 hour later, card that paid as credit got the 5% back, but the first card paid as Debit didn't get anything, balance is $0.

so, I guess Debit get NO 5% back!
Old Oct 29, 2016, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't say anything to the cashier, I just swiped the cards.
This is how it looks in the transaction log:

Authorization amount:
$30.00

Retailer name:
CVS/PHARM

Purchase date:
10/28/2016

Settlement amount:
$10.00
Ah. So the cashier did not even know you would use multiple cards. Yet the machine knows how to autodrain the card.

Just to clarify, were you using Credit or Debit?
Old Oct 29, 2016, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZeroMile
I got 2x FiveBack card 3 days ago, went to CVS did a test, buy a VGC for $395, so total comes to $399.50, first card, I select Debit, slide the card, put in the pin, it auto drain 200, Second I select credit, slide the card, give cashier last 4 digit.
today, 48 hour later, card that paid as credit got the 5% back, but the first card paid as Debit didn't get anything, balance is $0.

Not true because I know a person who had used the last card as debit at CVS, still got the 5%. Also another person used debit Exclusively as he was using it for MO at K-Mart. The 5% posted automatically.

Read Post 84 - the poster used debit and received the rebate.

May be debit took a bit longer to post than the credit?

Wait a day or 2 and if the 5% still not show up, call on weekday during business hours. Read upthread - people got the rebates manually posted this way during the 2 days in Mid Oct when system had glitches.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:16 am

Indeed that often happens with debits. Call the number on the back of the card, press a number to report a problem (any problem -- just to get a person on the phone). The rep who responds will likely open a case, and you should get the missing 5% in a few days.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:01 am

Are these the steps to follow? I might try it.

1. Go to OfficeMax or Office Depot to buy the Five Back Visa Gift Card. Pay total of $206.95 with Chase Ink card or Simply Cash. Get 5X rewards = 1035 Ultimate Rewards points
2. Bring card to CVS and make $200 in purchases as CREDIT to get cash back. $10 should be re-credited to the gift card (5% back)
3. Upon next visit to CVS, use remaining $10 on card. 50 cents should be re-credited to the gift card (5% back)
4. Upon next visit to CVS, use the remaining 50 cents. 3 cents should be re-credited to the gift card (5% back)
5. Toss away gift card because it’s not worth worrying about 3 cents
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by Travelz
Are these the steps to follow? I might try it.

1. Go to OfficeMax or Office Depot to buy the Five Back Visa Gift Card. Pay total of $206.95 with Chase Ink card or Simply Cash. Get 5X rewards = 1035 Ultimate Rewards points
2. Bring card to CVS and make $200 in purchases as CREDIT to get cash back. $10 should be re-credited to the gift card (5% back)
3. Upon next visit to CVS, use remaining $10 on card. 50 cents should be re-credited to the gift card (5% back)
4. Upon next visit to CVS, use the remaining 50 cents. 3 cents should be re-credited to the gift card (5% back)
5. Toss away gift card because it’s not worth worrying about 3 cents
Unless you have all kinds of time, I'd skip steps 4 & 5 and just drain the card at the grocery store or on amazon.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by skitch23
Unless you have all kinds of time, I'd skip steps 4 & 5 and just drain the card at the grocery store or on amazon.
You can do steps 4 and 5 anywhere, cvs not necessary if you don't want the 3c and are tossing the card after spending the final 50c
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by skitch23
Personally, step 3 is too much for me. I just spend the $10 somewhere else. Some stores do not like the idea of buying vgc using vgc and I am more than happy they let me do step 2 already.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by usalibido
Personally, step 3 is too much for me. I just spend the $10 somewhere else. Some stores do not like the idea of buying vgc using vgc and I am more than happy they let me do step 2 already.
+1
Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott

I have the same experience. Debit didn't give any cashback yet. 3 days passed. I'll wait another few days, then call.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:11 pm

I have the same experience. Debit didn't give any cashback yet. 3 days passed. I'll wait another few days, then call.
Any update?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:11 pm

I bought a $100 five back dining everywhere card in the grocery store today. Anyone can confirm that the card can only be used in the restaurant but not other places?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.