Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Note: The 2017 posts are here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819656-five-back-visa-card-2017-a.html

EDIT 2/3/17 @ 6pm: Rumors suggest Kmart is (or perhaps already has) dropped out of the program. We have two DPs of swipes at Kmart on 2/2 that received 5B on 2/3 (posts #1395 and #1400). Perhaps swipes through "end of week" will receive 5B... could mean 'til the end of Friday 2/3 or Sunday 2/5 or who knows. Please post DPs.

CVS - No longer working
Kmart - Hit & Miss for buying MOs
Staples & Staples.com - Confirmed working but limited to $200/$300 cards
Lowes - Confirmed working but limited to $200 cards

EDIT 1/29/17: Making 5B great again!

EDIT 1/28/17: The gravy train is over

EDIT 1/20/17 @ 2pm EST: At least 2 DPs of 5B posting today (1/20/17) from CVS transactions that took place on Thursday 1/19.

EDIT 1/18/17: CVS is still part of the 5B program. You should still be getting 5B for purchases there. If you aren't, then you should call in. There is no use in posting DPs until on or after the 1/20/17 published CV-Sexit.
Print Wikipost

Five Back Visa Gift Card? (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by popomama
I bought a $100 five back dining everywhere card in the grocery store today. Anyone can confirm that the card can only be used in the restaurant but not other places?

Thanks.
Correct. In fact, the Twelveback Dining in Style Everywhere gift cards may only be used at the most reputable of drinking establishments.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 5:10 am

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by CWAL
Correct. In fact, the Twelveback Dining in Style Everywhere gift cards may only be used at the most reputable of drinking establishments.
But I have been successful in getting the 7 back Entertainment Everywhere card to work at an art gallery and I was not entertained at all!
Old Nov 3, 2016, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by DeaconY
But I have been successful in getting the 7 back Entertainment Everywhere card to work at an art gallery and I was not entertained at all!
Simple explanation, the sevenback variety are an inverting gift card. You were the exhibit.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeaconY
Simple explanation, the sevenback variety are an inverting gift card. You were the exhibit.
So there are many X back cards now?

For the experienced, please confirm whether the assumption below is correct

No rebate Anywhere Dining / Style / Grocery are just another name if used at the favorite facility.

Fiveback earns 5% at specific merchants but otherwise it is just another 6.95 card.

Then there are new $ back cards that are similar to the Anywhere Movie card which is only up to $100 and very restrictive.

How about the concept of "inverting gift card"? Care to explain a bit? TIA
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by bodiddely
Any update?
Called yesterday, they said it's 48 hours not including weekends, so it should post today (means yesterday), and I should call tomorrow. Of course it didn't post, so I'm calling right now. Called, they opened a ticket for 4 cards.

Last edited by yugi; Nov 3, 2016 at 1:02 pm
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
So there are many X back cards now?

For the experienced, please confirm whether the assumption below is correct

No rebate Anywhere Dining / Style / Grocery are just another name if used at the favorite facility.

Fiveback earns 5% at specific merchants but otherwise it is just another 6.95 card.

Then there are new $ back cards that are similar to the Anywhere Movie card which is only up to $100 and very restrictive.

How about the concept of "inverting gift card"? Care to explain a bit? TIA
This might help:
http://bfy.tw/ot
Old Nov 3, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Question

I'm contemplating trying one of these out, but I'm confused. The FAQ on the website says:

When you shop at participating merchants, the Award Sponsor (Blackhawk Network California, Inc.) will add a certain percentage (up to 5%) of your purchase amount (including sales tax) to your Card balance. Visit www.fivebackgift.com for a list of participating merchants and the money back percentage award offered by each merchant.
Except nowhere on the website do I see any mention of what the percent back is by merchant. I see that most of this thread talks about using them at CVS. Has anyone tried them at Staples, Lowe's, BB&B or Sears to buy other VGCs and get the cash back? Is it all 5%?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
I'm contemplating trying one of these out, but I'm confused. The FAQ on the website says:

Except nowhere on the website do I see any mention of what the percent back is by merchant. I see that most of this thread talks about using them at CVS. Has anyone tried them at Staples, Lowe's, BB&B or Sears to buy other VGCs and get the cash back? Is it all 5%?
These places do NOT sell $500 worth of VGCs. Would you prefer to pay $4.95 for each $500 or to pay $6.95 for each $200?

Do your math and you will understand why nobody buys the $200 VGCs if those merchants even let you use Gebit to buy Gebit.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Happy
These places do NOT sell $500 worth of VGCs. Would you prefer to pay $4.95 for each $500 or to pay $6.95 for each $200?

Do your math and you will understand why nobody buys the $200 VGCs if those merchants even let you use Gebit to buy Gebit.
I understand if you are looking to maximize profit, but 5% back on $200 is still $10 and covers both the cost of the gift card and the cost of liquidating.

So my question stands - do those merchants also give you the 5% back or is it some other percentage, and has anyone tried using the Five Back GC to buy other GCs there?
Old Nov 4, 2016, 8:11 am

I understand if you are looking to maximize profit, but 5% back on $200 is still $10 and covers both the cost of the gift card and the cost of liquidating.

So my question stands - do those merchants also give you the 5% back or is it some other percentage, and has anyone tried using the Five Back GC to buy other GCs there?
I think you need to double check your math...
$6.95 fee for original purchase of the 5% back card.
$6.95 fee for purchase of new $200 VGC at Staples or Sears, etc.
$.46 - $.70 MO fee to liquidate. (or free if loading to Serve, etc.)
Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So my proposition also stands :
Would you prefer to pay $4.95 for each $500 or to pay $6.95 for each $200?
Or rather, would you prefer to LOSE money?

Didn't I suggest you to do your math?

DeaconY did it for you.

Of course if you are just buying merchandises, well, that is another ballgame which probably is not what the folks here are interested in.

Last edited by Happy; Nov 4, 2016 at 6:09 pm
Old Nov 4, 2016, 6:05 pm

Good job, you figured out that your suggested method is not profitable. Back to your usual programming.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!

They all give 5 back if they're listed on the 5 back website.

Using 5 back to buy other GCs will be YMMV at the places you're considering, but conventional wisdom would point towards it being unlikely.

I'm not sure why others are so upset by your questions?!
Old Nov 5, 2016, 4:48 pm

CVS at Target - Not a 5% Partner

Just out of curiosity, I unloaded a couple of $10 five-back cards at a pharmacy checkout of CVS @ Target in credit mode. These did not generate 5% rebates for me. As a side note, I find it a nuisance that Google maps now show super Targets as CVS stores.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:56 am

So where do you actually buy these things? I was assuming GCM, because when you click on the buy link on the https://www.fivebackgift.com/ website, it takes you to GCM. But I can't find them there. Am I missing something, or are you only able to buy these in stores?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.