Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MilesGator
First,just want to say the direction this thread has taken is awesome. I actually feel like I learned something about the underlying architecture of how these GCs/prepaids work.

So if the FDIC has stopped Bancorp products from being run as an ACH pull, then why is only Walmart affected?

I used a OV for a MO at another establishment and it went through fine (at least I got the MO, deposited into my bank and waiting for it to clear...not until it does will I really feel OK).
Could it be that WM POS tries to pull these as an ACH payment because of how Bancorp flags them to attempt this as a preferred method? I'm thinking that Bancorp may be trying to avoid the interchange fees to boost their bottom line by using ACH.

The one thing I have not seen is whether you can make an actual purchase with a Bancorp VGC at WM (or perhaps I just overlooked a post) but that might provide additional data. Other POS systems may ignore (or can't process them via ACH) and go through the normal payment network (Visa).
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by sechs
Are you guys still going to be arguing about this next week when my tin of popcorn gets in?
well, our next vacation is at stake here. You should take more seriously this. It could easily be the MS apocalysis mayans predicted in their calendar
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: HH Diamond-IHG Plat-AA Gold
Originally Posted by picards007
The one thing I have not seen is whether you can make an actual purchase with a Bancorp VGC at WM (or perhaps I just overlooked a post) but that might provide additional data. Other POS systems may ignore (or can't process them via ACH) and go through the normal payment network (Visa).

Believe this has been referenced previously. 'Normal' purchases simply run as credit without a problem, since they don not require debit only as MO/BB do.

It's not that OV/VGC doesn't work at all anymore, it's just that it won't work as a DC.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by kiltedflyer
Believe this has been referenced previously. 'Normal' purchases simply run as credit without a problem, since they don not require debit only as MO/BB do.

It's not that OV/VGC doesn't work at all anymore, it's just that it won't work as a DC.
in that case claim a refund?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by luchex
well, our next vacation is at stake here. You should take more seriously this. It could easily be the MS apocalysis mayans predicted in their calendar
Yours? Or 'ours', collectively?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:54 am

It works fine as a DC at other stores, just not WM.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by prasha11
Refund? For what? Debit functionality is only an issue at WM...so far...and only for transactions, which, while not illegal, are ones these products were not intended to be utilized for.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by prasha11
Refund? For what? Debit functionality is only an issue at WM...so far...and only for transactions, which, while not illegal, are ones these products were not intended to be utilized for.
Originally Posted by bmrisko
Like I said.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:58 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by bmrisko
it works at WM as well, just at/under certain amounts, when its not spazzing out.

so as expected theres more to this story, esp behind the scenes, than what the geniuses here suggested. latest 'changes' may not even have anything to do with MS at all.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by FTRox87
it works at WM as well, just at/under certain amounts, when its not spazzing out.

While others report no-go at any amount....YMMV.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by MilesGator
First,just want to say the direction this thread has taken is awesome. I actually feel like I learned something about the underlying architecture of how these GCs/prepaids work.

So if the FDIC has stopped Bancorp products from being run as an ACH pull, then why is only Walmart affected?

I used a OV for a MO at another establishment and it went through fine (at least I got the MO, deposited into my bank and waiting for it to clear...not until it does will I really feel OK).
This is pure guess but the reason could be that WM offers billpay which is a ACH mediated transaction. Maybe the fact that the establishment has some ACH mediated transactions allow them to test funds of debit cards that not necesarily are money transfer, like buying MO or loading BB. Or may be the software is not able to diferenciate and process all transactions similarly.
Other establishment were they offer only MO may not be hardwired the same way. Pure guess
Old Jun 20, 2014, 12:08 pm

So it looks like this effectively is not an option for MS anymore...

There's GC--> MO's which has always worked, and using Bigcrumbs, Metabank, etc.

Anyone have a new way to MS or are we all screwed other than the above?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by johnnybebrave

Seriously?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Seriously?
We're all doomed. MS is over.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by johnnybebrave

Only reliable method is to deposit all gift cards into the gift card bin when you walk into best buy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.