Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2014, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
The MS quiz. To weed out those who just shouldnt even do this stuff any longer:

1) You find a new store chain that takes debit to get MOs. What do you do now?

a) you are a blogger who gets $$ for affiliate links. So you tell everybody so you can JUST HELP PEOPLE and you out the entire thing cuz who the F cares! You are getting paid, right?
b) keep that sh*t freakin quiet man. Like you only tell your SO or your brother.
c) tell everyone in FT cuz hey that's how you get friends online, right? Good karma and all. And hey iti's a bit like facebook only for my cute miles hobby, guys!
d) go in there and burn like 100 cards in a week and then wonder why the manager shut you down and stopped the ability to use debit.

2) You find a workaround for an issue that has baffled you and others for a long time. What do you do?

a) tell those other trusted people.
b) post it on FT and on all the blogs. Tell the WSJ in an interview.
c) tell the clerks and managers at the stores about it because hey, they are really nice to you and all so they wont care!
d) all of the above.

3) You get a call from a bank asking you what these large deposits are for. Namely the MOs. What do you think now?

a) oh it's just a nice friendly call. Carry on.
b) you are done. That was a warning. Stop using that bank for this.
c) do it harder. F them.
d) go to the manager and show them how MS works and maybe they will let you keep it up as you have been.

4) your neighbor or someone in the office or at the local pizza shop or in church wants to know how you travel so much. So what do you do?

a) start a blog about it because that's the best way to explain it all, make it all look and read clean and clear, and hey no one will see it except them anyway, right?
b) tell them at parties and become ostracized for being weird. Your SO even thinks you are weird now.
c) show them how to MS but then if they F up they will blame you for that bank shut down and all the funds held with Green Dot.
d) don't tell your F'in neighbors and friends unless they are already into this stuff anyway.

5) a deal dies or changes drastically. It's all over FT and then the blogs. Your email lights up like a Xmas tree. Everyone is scrambling. What do you do now?

a) hit it as hard as you can now while you can and where you still can. This sh*t's gonna die sooner than we think!
b) get on FT and whine about it and then post all the alternatives with hopes that it will absolve what is in YOUR head but not realizing that everything we say on here can and will be searchable by those who change these things anyway.
c) learn to drive or fly to other destinations to get MS done. You have to leave your comfort zone.
d) a&c
e) I am not answering on the grounds it may incriminate me.
And eight, eight, I forget what eight was for
But nine, nine, nine for the lost gods
Ten, ten, ten, ten for everything, everything, everything!
1) b, but only tell SO as the telling brother is 1 to many
2) a, bit only trusted person is SO
3) a and c
4) d, simply say miles and smile (not a lie and more than enough info)
5) d
You crack me up MM, thanks for the laugh
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by skibum7732
1) b, but only tell SO as the telling brother is 1 to many
2) a, bit only trusted person is SO
3) a and c
4) d, simply say miles and smile (not a lie and more than enough info)
5) d
You crack me up MM, thanks for the laugh
lol well I have this stuff on my mind all the time.

oh no I feel a James Taylor MS song coming on...

You're always MSing in my mind...
You're always on my mind

Or how about Buffett? An MSer looks at 40 (gcs)

Now I've run my share of cash...
I made enough money to buy Miami with GCs but I pissed it away so fast
Never meant to last... deals are never meant to last!
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Ive thought of doing this for years
WU called my local grocer about why someone was using 4 different debit cards to buy 1999.99 worth of money orders once a week....so GM at the store shut me down.

That said.... don't let that stop you! Might be able to run enough through in enough time to make it worthwhile still. Would need to make those silly 1,000,000 points in a month stunts look like small change though...
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:33 pm

Attempt at 3 location at my local walmart with 50 and 90 vgc
No go
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by thepaul500
WU called my local grocer about why someone was using 4 different debit cards to buy 1999.99 worth of money orders once a week....so GM at the store shut me down.

That said.... don't let that stop you! Might be able to run enough through in enough time to make it worthwhile still. Would need to make those silly 1,000,000 points in a month stunts look like small change though...
I've been asked once, and said "Child support". I was every single-mom's hero in that WM!
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by thepaul500

If that's the case, WU has a lot of phone calls to make. Lots of people(including myself) are in need of cashing out their VGCs.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:00 pm

Is it wrong to feel good when this stuff happens?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by QL_714
No. Oddly I'm really looking forward to seeing how certain blogs address this.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by ntr91
Which makes it even more likely that they told WM to stop taking GCs for cash equivalents, and that WM listened.
I'm sure that someone will disagree, but I'm sure that Incomm was making money on both sides of the transaction. Otherwise they would have just completely nixed it.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by ctbarron
No. Oddly I'm really looking forward to seeing how certain blogs address this.
the DL ...... already spilled the beans on other possiblities, just like the others will, which will lead to the demise of them too.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by f0xx
I guess. Since you keep editing it.
Unfortunately, I have to fight someone who keeps vandalizing it *and* add useful information (which changes hourly).
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:23 pm

Who is Good and what parts were you feeling
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:25 pm
Original Member

The greatest beneficiaries of a thinning of the herd are those members of the herd who survive. Since some prepaid cards still work at WM and some FTers have more access to other money order sellers (and more access to gift cards that work at WM) than other FTers, this could in fact prolong the lifespan of this deal. Is that what you meant, or did you want tides the whole herd obliviated?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:26 pm

How many people have realistically bought a $500 MO with an OV? I know I see one example but unless there are multiple reports of this, we need to stop editing the wiki to state that.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
How many people have realistically bought a $500 MO with an OV? I know I see one example but unless there are multiple reports of this, we need to stop editing the wiki to state that.
Yes, please do share.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.