Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Problem loading Bluebird with Vanilla Visa GC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
As of 6/19/2014, Walmart does not accept debit transactions above $49.99 from cards issued by Bancorp, namely Vanilla Visas (OV, VGC, etc.). Attempts result in "Alternate Tender Required," "Debit Not Available," and/or some other error message, at both registers and the Money Center Express (MCE, kiosk, Kate, ATM).

There is no workaround.
Print Wikipost

Problem loading Bluebird with Vanilla Visa GC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:32 am

this stinks. I am in the middle of the month for my loads so unfortunately cannot help try to find work arounds since BB is maxed for the month.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by mustang281man
I tried to load blue bird at kate, money center and in the checkout line. Each one failed and I have a "debit not available" receipt from each one. I get home and see that I have a email from bluebird saying "your bluebird POS reload was successful" I check my bluebird account and there is $500 in there. How in the hell did that happen??
Nice !
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
what I wanna know is how the hell the word hell gets in here but other words are blocked lol
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by 2B or back in coach
Maybe change your question. "Can I buy a MO with a DC?"
Short answer to your question - Yes, you can.

If you re-read carefully, your question is answered but you did not get any useful information out of it.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:35 am

Sorry, I have to ask, what is kate?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by michael_v
Kate is the money center machine
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:29 am

Does this new change only affect Visa GCs? Are MasterCard GCs affected?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Superorb
Does this new change only affect Visa GCs? Are MasterCard GCs affected?
it appears it has more to do with the issuing bank than anything else (ie vanilla variety).... Only time will tell, but I loaded some MCs (not vanilla) late last night without issue. Not really a visa vs mastercard debate, but a bank issuing debate. Not sure anyone has some vanilla MC (never looked into it to see if those even exist lol) to try.... Most people avoid MC altogether as it is.

Last edited by hamokmonky; Jun 19, 2014 at 12:46 pm
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: AA, BA, Alaska Air
Datapoint:

$5h loaded thru different GC went fine. Tried to load VGC for $5h, error 96. Tried to load same VGC for $99, error 94, and finally got error 96 for trying to load $90
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, SPG, SW
Another datapoint: In RTP, NC. Attempted to load different OVs (4941 series) via Kate at $500, $99.99, and $90, all while waiting between transactions. All failed. I unbeknowingly threw away the error codes, but the last one I got, for a $90, was Error 96.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Has anyone attempted to do a WM RR using OV or VGC? Just wondering if this stuff is really isolated.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis CC, Continental Onepass
Originally Posted by ethnotraveler
Another datapoint: In RTP, NC. Attempted to load different OVs (4941 series) via Kate at $500, $99.99, and $90, all while waiting between transactions. All failed. I unbeknowingly threw away the error codes, but the last one I got, for a $90, was Error 96.
Same here in Upstate SC. I actually got 4 $99 loads to go through off of one of my cards and around 11:00 am, it started declining all the transactions with error code 96. I then tried another Wal-mart about 5 miles away and couldn't get it work with $500, $99, $90 or $50. Also didn't work with MC or cashier.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
assuming a few things here but here goes:

let's say all vanilla incomm cards are no longer set to work at wmt for debit. Is this cuz of wmt or cuz of incomm? If cuz of wmt, well, that's their software and so be it. It works with other gcs and prepaids and that is that. I recall, as I said before in here, that at rite aid, there was a time when vanilla based gcs would run as credit for MOs there. Clerks eventually got spoken to by their bosses and the entire chain stopped doing MOs to debit.

So there could be something within the type of gc vanilla is made up of that makes it just NOT work with the type of software that wmt and the rite aid systems use.

if it is a feature of incomm and they made it so their cards cannot work at wmt for debit, well that's a bigger issue. One COULD contact some faction of the govt and say hey these are supposed to have pins on them but it dont work no more. Then again, some faction of something would probably come back and say: Well yes there had been a lot of fraud at wmt or something so we stopped it there. Go elsewhere.

Either way, if the card dont work there no more, you have to move on and stop yapping about it.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by michael_v
A fond nickname for the Kiosk, i.e. the ATM machine at Wally.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
assuming a few things here but here goes:

let's say all vanilla incomm cards are no longer set to work at wmt for debit. Is this cuz of wmt or cuz of incomm? If cuz of wmt, well, that's their software and so be it. It works with other gcs and prepaids and that is that. I recall, as I said before in here, that at rite aid, there was a time when vanilla based gcs would run as credit for MOs there. Clerks eventually got spoken to by their bosses and the entire chain stopped doing MOs to debit.

So there could be something within the type of gc vanilla is made up of that makes it just NOT work with the type of software that wmt and the rite aid systems use.

if it is a feature of incomm and they made it so their cards cannot work at wmt for debit, well that's a bigger issue. One COULD contact some faction of the govt and say hey these are supposed to have pins on them but it dont work no more. Then again, some faction of something would probably come back and say: Well yes there had been a lot of fraud at wmt or something so we stopped it there. Go elsewhere.

Either way, if the card dont work there no more, you have to move on and stop yapping about it.
All true I'm just trying to help isolate it. Someone need to try a RR with a OV and Vanilla GC. Then try a MVD in all the same areas. That should cover the Vanilla has melted at WM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.