Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, UA Gold, HH Lifetime DIA, WoH Globalist
Relatives in Los Angeles began reporting "cash only" last week. In PHX, I've been buying four to six every few weeks (with AMEX) from multiple CVS stores without incident. It helps tremendously to have a friendly relationship with the clerks and store manager.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by slotownmomma
All depends upon the CVS store and clerk ringing you out. I've both $2,000 in one trip with two separate $1,000 transactions and then had times at the same store when the clerk only let me buy $1,000. Some clerks know what they are doing, others you have to walk them through the process and even the manager doesn't know what's up.
It seems that, at least recently, the registers do not allow more than 1k in gift cards per transaction. So my friendly cashier rung it up in two transactions.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
If you live near a college or an area with younger people..

Go in on Friday or Saturday night.. the cashiers are not happy they are working and might be less inclined to follow the rules
Old Mar 20, 2013, 4:56 pm

I think I misunderstood when I mentioned earlier I spend over 1k. I guess it meant for VRs which I have not tried more. And it seems most of the time I go in I get the managers. One has seen me enough that he recognizes me now, which might not be good.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Originally Posted by Pencegeri
I think I misunderstood when I mentioned earlier I spend over 1k. I guess it meant for VRs which I have not tried more. And it seems most of the time I go in I get the managers. One has seen me enough that he recognizes me now, which might not be good.
not necessarily - One cvs employee knows me well now (with all the VR runs i make) and calls me "Sweetheart" everytime she sees me. Today when i was buying the VRs, she goes "can i see your ID?". I was like yeah sure - when i was giving her the ID she goes "Im kidding sweetheart - you are all set... BTW - we just got a new batch of VRs , if they finish on the rack let me know, we usually keep a batch behind the counter".

I just try to avoid this one old man - he talks a lot and just questions every purchase i make. Also, as you can see, i only go to one CVS. On my credit card statement it keeps showing the CVS charge with the same CVS store number.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:42 am

Speaking of CVS and somewhat non-subject related, I found this article in LA Times interesting.
============

Employees at one of the nation’s largest drugstore chains must disclose personal health information -- including their weight -- or pay a $600-a-year fine, according to a published report.

CVS Caremark Corp. is requiring workers to reveal the information to their company’s insurance carrier or pay an extra $50 a month for health coverage, according to the Boston Herald.

CVS could not immediately be reached for comment. But a spokesman told the newspaper that “our benefits program is evolving to help our colleagues take more responsibility for improving their health and managing health-associated costs.”

Employees must reveal their weight, height, body fat and blood pressure, the paper reported.

The company calls it a "health screening and wellness review" and will foot the bill for the associated doctor visits, according to the report.

But employees must agree to sign a form claiming the screening is voluntary, according to the paper, and allow the insurer to pass the results to the firm handling its health program.

The effort is likely to spur strong feelings from both advocates and detractors.

Critics fear such programs encroach on employees’ privacy and could lead to discrimination against unhealthy or disabled workers.

Proponents, including companies that are anxious to reduce spending on medical coverage, say it holds down costs borne by all employees and encourages people to get healthier.
====

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...,3069855.story
Old Mar 21, 2013, 7:01 am

My employer has started this policy this year also for some employees (I'm sure it will roll company wide in the next year or so). We use Aetna and all our prescriptions must go thru CVS - I suspect it's the same insurance coverage.

Rather amusingly, they call it a discount not a fine. i.e. if you take the review you get a discount of $600 (yeah right...)

We are all fully expecting a fat tax on our health insurance rates next year.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
At the risk of getting flamed....am I the only one reading this post and the comments that is thinking......why in the world is anyone suprised that credit card issuers and hotel companies change the earnings potential and the amount of points needed for free nights? Don't get me wrong because I play the points game too but this IMHO is just a blatant misuse of the system with $1000 a DAY. We shouldn't be suprised when hotel companies gut their programs!
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by christianj
At the risk of getting flamed....am I the only one reading this post and the comments that is thinking......why in the world is anyone suprised that credit card issuers and hotel companies change the earnings potential and the amount of points needed for free nights?
No, I wonder the same thing.

Don't get me wrong because I play the points game too but this IMHO is just a blatant misuse of the system with $1000 a DAY. We shouldn't be suprised when hotel companies gut their programs!
Agree 100%.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: hhonors
All 4 CVS stores near me are either posting paper signs on the register, verbally informing me, or calling the police directly when attempting to purchase 1k VR with a credit card. Yes, one supervisor when questioned why the policy was cash only, immediately called the police. Twice! VR train is coming to an end soon folks... Start coming up with new tactics...
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hirenrp
All 4 CVS stores near me are either posting paper signs on the register, verbally informing me, or calling the police directly when attempting to purchase 1k VR with a credit card. Yes, one supervisor when questioned why the policy was cash only, immediately called the police. Twice! VR train is coming to an end soon folks... Start coming up with new tactics...
I'd LOVE to have the police called. I want to see the clerk explain why they called the cops for someone making legitimate purchase.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:31 am

At the risk of getting flamed....am I the only one reading this post and the comments that is thinking......why in the world is anyone suprised that credit card issuers and hotel companies change the earnings potential and the amount of points needed for free nights? Don't get me wrong because I play the points game too but this IMHO is just a blatant misuse of the system with $1000 a DAY. We shouldn't be suprised when hotel companies gut their programs!
I agree with you but at the same time wonder just how many of us there are. Certainly not over a million people doing this to the extreme. So you'd think we'd be a small blip on their radar. I'd also think that credit card companies would start capping bonus categories more like Chase has done with ink 5x and freedom 5x, amex with 6x on groceries, etc.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:37 am

Yes, one supervisor when questioned why the policy was cash only, immediately called the police. Twice!
I hoped you waited for the police to arrive ? It would look suspicious if you take off after she calls.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA, SW, AA
Originally Posted by Stoughton
I'd LOVE to have the police called. I want to see the clerk explain why they called the cops for someone making legitimate purchase.
Agreed, unless they have been specifically instructed by their managers to do this, which doesn't make sense. Don't the police also put a charge on a business for false calls?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:16 pm

boom goes the dynamite

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.