Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Here's a Pic

A picture is worth a thousand words. Instead of writing the difference, here is a link to a picture of the card you want to buy to load your new Bird.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/freque...a-reloadables/

Copyright FM
Old Oct 25, 2012, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by CBS9000
I just ordered BB a few days ago, but now I'm thinking that may have been a waste.

I live in NYC where beans don't grow and Wally Worlds don't operate. Would I be better off exploring Serve? Is there another, similar game I should explore? I'm essentially looking for a little additional spend to help meet cc bonus minimums--definitely not going to push too hard...

If anyone could suggest a thread or care to PM it would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Time to take a road trip. Pick up Vancouver, drop Montreal/Toronto. Can drive through the US.
With $500 free fuel you can get this free RV rental for 21 days and load your GPS with OD locations you can stop by every one of them to buy ice creams. Just make sure share some with me when you pass NYC.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by QL_714
I got my ice cream at OD today and on the way home I stopped at an ATM. The card is to big to fit in the slot. Please help!!!
Funny. ^

Nothing wrong helping newbie's, which fyi based on your joined date, makes you one.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:19 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
The OD near me has at least 25+ in stock... Auctioning off the coordinates. Betting starts at $2500.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by caGALINDO
The OD near me has at least 25+ in stock... Auctioning off the coordinates. Betting starts at $2500.
Haha. Good idea. ^
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by caGALINDO
$2501
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by QL_714
$2501
Haha, wrong way. I'll beat you both out with $2499 and my locations. lol!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by jk2
Does this card (VisaBuxx) work as "real" debit card? I had one last month (because of $50 promo) and canceled soon (now regret about it), so I didn't test this feature.

It might be a good alternative to ice cream (when not using IB card), since it is possible to reload Buxx with CC (not AMEX) and fee is only $2 per load (doesn't work with Citi cards, because of cash advance thing). Limit is $500 per load, $1000 is max.
I wonder what the answer to this question is because it would be interesting for those of us without OD nearby...

f I could load the Buxx card (for free w/credit card) and then use that Buxx card as a debit card to fund BB, I could increase my spend by loading $1k/day at Walmart. Then use that BB card to pay bills that don't normally accept credit card payments to drain it.

Anybody know the answer to if the VisaBuxx card would act as a real debit card when swiping/loading at Walmart??
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
I wonder what the answer to this question is because it would be interesting for those of us without OD nearby...

f I could load the Buxx card (for free w/credit card) and then use that Buxx card as a debit card to fund BB, I could increase my spend by loading $1k/day at Walmart. Then use that BB card to pay bills that don't normally accept credit card payments to drain it.

Anybody know the answer to if the VisaBuxx card would act as a real debit card when swiping/loading at Walmart??
FM'er said that it has to have a PIN to work.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
Buxx cards are real debit cards with real PIN numbers that can be used to get real cash back during debit/pin pad transactions.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by glocklt4
FM'er said that it has to have a PIN to work.
It has a PIN, but there's a fee to load the buxx card
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I reported you to the Cardinals for pushing too hard, Fang should be at your doorstep any minute!
Sorry to ask. But who exactly is Cardinal Fang?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:45 pm

I feel so late to the game. Finally got around to signing up for BB. Gotta wait til I receive the card now.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
It has a PIN, but there's a fee to load the buxx card
I think it's free if you have a US Bank one and use a US Bank CC.

Might be the same for BofA.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:57 pm

In trying to figure out if this deal will last, I did what the best hs history teacher ever taught me: follow the money!
I'm trying to figure out how this affects each of the 3 parties; Amex/BB, VR, and Chase IB.

At point of sale there is 3.95 up for grabs. Who gets this money, either VR, Amex/BB, OD?
I assume Chase gets a % of the total sale (500 or 503.95), but that this is less that 5%?
Any one have any clue what this % is? Somewhere in this thread mentioned 1.69%, just wondering if any insider can second this?

Practicality of knowing who loses money...
If OD is losing money, then I go to OD and buy only 1 or 2 beans with IB and then go elsewhere and utilize for hitting spending requirements (including the IB) since it's only 1x at that point (HHAmex/WallG excluded)
If Chase is losing money, then I can go to OD buy 1 or 2 on the IB and then stay there and buy a couple more with other cards
If both are losing money, that sucks and this probably has no more than a year (but that's still, conservatively 60k UR pts, for free for this year!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.