FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Amazon Payments (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1144591-amazon-payments.html)

qvzn Dec 23, 2012 10:09 pm

Since the miles "come out" of the 2-3% transaction fee, it has to get paid somewhere along the line

philosopherking Dec 23, 2012 10:14 pm

So if I were to send an amazon payment to a friend using a cc to achieve spend, who pays the mile fee then?

qvzn Dec 23, 2012 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by philosopherking (Post 19912701)
So if I were to send an amazon payment to a friend using a cc to achieve spend, who pays the mile fee then?

I don't know anything about Amazon payments, but if the friend receives the full amount, then I guess Amazon is eating the fee. Paypal used to do this for personal payments--but I believe they no longer do (now they charge either sender or receiver). And they've always charged those fees to business accounts

philosopherking Dec 23, 2012 10:58 pm

So amazon "eats the fee" on a transaction to fund a shell co that puts miles in the individuals pocket. Still no idea if that is legal.

cbn42 Dec 24, 2012 2:27 am

I don't see anything illegal about it. It's basically like telling a friend "hey, I'll send you $1000 on Amazon payments. Tomorrow, you send it back to me on Amazon payments and we'll both keep the miles."

There are always tax issues when you create a company. Any profits that the company returns to owners/shareholders may be subject to corporate tax and income tax. This sounds like a lot of hassle to get some miles.

myb821 Dec 24, 2012 9:18 am

Originally Posted by cbn42 (Post 19913177)
I don't see anything illegal about it. It's basically like telling a friend "hey, I'll send you $1000 on Amazon payments. Tomorrow, you send it back to me on Amazon payments and we'll both keep the miles."

There are always tax issues when you create a company. Any profits that the company returns to owners/shareholders may be subject to corporate tax and income tax. This sounds like a lot of hassle to get some miles.

+1 cant see any difference

APeverell Dec 24, 2012 10:42 am

Originally Posted by myb821 (Post 19914301)
+1 cant see any difference

Also fees to set up the LLC, franchise tax, fees to dissolve it, etc. It's not gonna be worth it.

sk8uno Dec 24, 2012 11:20 am

Are you aware of the limits with Amazon payments?

This scheme is unnecessarily complicated. You can easily max out Amazon spend without setting a shell company.

And if you are truly concerned about legality, FT is not the best source for legal advice.

Father-of-3 Dec 24, 2012 12:56 pm

Is this legal?

Why not just get Square and use that? You will pay the fees but save on all the other stuff.

Amazon is only free for the first $1000 a month.

mia Dec 24, 2012 1:48 pm

Moderator action

philosopherking's idea has been merged into the existing Amazon Payments thread.

GraceC Dec 24, 2012 2:15 pm

deleted

JudyJFLA Dec 24, 2012 3:46 pm

Another company ad today in Bloomberg for Alliedwallet. No mention on the site about limits, no CC fees, just $2 fee to withdraw to bank account. Tried to write them, capture thingy was unreadable on safari.

JudyJFLA

MkMooney Dec 24, 2012 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by AllanAtlanta (Post 19915215)
Why not just get Square and use that? You will pay the fees but save on all the other stuff.

Amazon is only free for the first $1000 a month.

Actually you can only send $1000 a month period. No option to send more even with a fee.

kevinwangjk Dec 24, 2012 8:05 pm

Does the following raise a red flag?

Two accounts A and B under my and my friend's name & SSN.
A linked to MY checking account 1.
B linked to MY checking account 2.
A sends money to B with Citi/Chase CCs.

The part that I am worried about is both checking accounts are under mine. Is it safe? Or should I use someone else's checking?

Achilles Dec 24, 2012 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by kevinwangjk (Post 19916672)
Does the following raise a red flag?

Two accounts A and B under my and my friend's name & SSN.
A linked to MY checking account 1.
B linked to MY checking account 2.
A sends money to B with Citi/Chase CCs.

The part that I am worried about is both checking accounts are under mine. Is it safe? Or should I use someone else's checking?

It'd be safer to ask your friend to transfer via paypal or just give you a check