FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Amazon Payments (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1144591-amazon-payments.html)

forextrader Dec 13, 2012 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by NYBanker (Post 19848687)
Yes is a shorter answer.

DaveInLA... Welcome to the thread. :)

NYBanker - qudos for your post - incredible how someone who joined this community only a few months ago, with the grand total of 14 posts, feels compelled to have to be obnoxious, instead of just giving a simple one word answer.

DaveInLA - you are correct, the other person you want to send funds to has to register their email address and other details on Amazon Payments.

You can have more than 1 AP account in your name - just slightly modify your first name.
So, for example, David Smith, Dave M. Smith and Davey Smith should all be OK. I use this method, and have had no issues for coming on 3 years.

Then your spouse can have 3 accounts, for example Susan Smith, Sue L. Smoth and Susie Smith.

FlyinghighinNC Dec 13, 2012 6:11 pm

forextrader - I wasn't aware you could have multiple accounts with slightly different names. I can't remember but do you need different bank accounts for each of these or do you need to use your social security or physical address to set each one up? Sounds a little more risky at first glance or am I missing something?

deant Dec 13, 2012 6:20 pm

The problem with multiple accounts is the SS number. It should match between all 3 names. Easy for them to catch and you can have all your accounts closed.

freetravelguys Dec 13, 2012 7:03 pm

New message

Just logged into my account and saw a notice that says in order to comply with federal law, AP requires certain info. When I clicked, it only asked for my DOB, which I entered. I've been using the service for a while with the same account and have never been asked for it.

Anyone have any guesses as to where they're going with this?

the_jaguar Dec 13, 2012 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by freetravelguys (Post 19852969)
Just logged into my account and saw a notice that says in order to comply with federal law, AP requires certain info. When I clicked, it only asked for my DOB, which I entered. I've been using the service for a while with the same account and have never been asked for it.

had the same thing happen to me - this is just Amazon complying with the regulations. I wouldn't be too concerned by this.

freetravelguys Dec 13, 2012 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by the_jaguar (Post 19853002)
had the same thing happen to me - this is just Amazon complying with the regulations. I wouldn't be too concerned by this.

Really not that concerned at all with it, but just for argument's sake I wonder if the regulations are new. That would be the only thing that made sense, because if they need to "comply with regulations" wouldn't they have to collect the information when you open the account? Why let you use the service for months and then say, oops, we need more info?

shoreline Dec 13, 2012 7:34 pm

[QUOTE=freetravelguys;19853071]Really not that concerned at all with it, but just for argument's sake I wonder if the regulations are new. That would be the only thing that made sense, because if they need to "comply with regulations" wouldn't they have to collect the information when you open the account? Why let you use the service for months and then say, oops, we need more info?[/QUOTE]

Because rules are forever changing and being updated.

DaveInLA Dec 13, 2012 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by forextrader (Post 19851412)
You can have more than 1 AP account in your name - just slightly modify your first name.
So, for example, David Smith, Dave M. Smith and Davey Smith should all be OK. I use this method, and have had no issues for coming on 3 years.

Then your spouse can have 3 accounts, for example Susan Smith, Sue L. Smoth and Susie Smith.

But if you use the same SSN, won't Amazon catch that? You said that you have 3 accounts; are you using the same SSN on all 3? Or did you mistakenly enter an erroneous SSN for the other accounts?

ikonos Dec 14, 2012 12:04 am

Originally Posted by freetravelguys (Post 19852969)

Now they can enforce 18+ age restriction to weed out accounts registered for minors. If you provide wrong DOB for those accounts, they can shut the account as the age can be figured out from SSN relative easily.

Preacher7 Dec 14, 2012 7:40 am

Do you have to be 18 to have an account?

Stoughton Dec 14, 2012 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7 (Post 19855239)
Do you have to be 18 to have an account?

Yes

echip Dec 14, 2012 8:40 am

Originally Posted by ikonos (Post 19854106)
... age can be figured out from SSN relative easily.

There are over 300 million people out there in the US. SSN only have 9 digits, not too much digits or patterns for the government to play with. So you cannot tell age by looking at SSN.
However, if you know someone SSN, there are database out there you can search for a fee, you can enter the SSN to verify date of birth.

TheMileGuy Dec 14, 2012 11:51 am

deleted

wcoeqpk862 Dec 14, 2012 9:56 pm

is everyone sure that if you do the free max amount per year (12k) that amazon won't report it as "earnings" to the IRS if you send it to a friend or family member??

...this could be a huge problem!!

freetravelguys Dec 14, 2012 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by wcoeqpk862 (Post 19859847)
is everyone sure that if you do the free max amount per year (12k) that amazon won't report it as "earnings" to the IRS if you send it to a friend or family member??

...this could be a huge problem!!

Yes. Not an issue. I believe back when I read their T&C the cut off was somewhere around $36,000.