Mediocre crowds at luxury hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mediocre crowds at luxury hotels

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
I honestly don't understand why there's even a discussion over this....

I believe whether staying at a 3000+ nightly rate luxury hotel or staying at airbnb, basic manner and respect are to be expected.

I met some very rude individuals at Amanresorts, and met some amazing people at local B&Bs. Money has nothing to do with it.

If you don't like crowds, look for hotels that have less than 50 rooms. If you don't like kids, avoid family-friendly places. It's that simple. I don't judge people and I don't like being judged. As long as other guests do not disturb me, what they do is none of my business.
Old May 26, 2015, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

moved

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 28, 2015 at 3:17 pm
Old May 26, 2015, 3:51 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
I'd expect that people know not to use their hands (vice tongs) when taking items from a buffet.

(which I saw at the Ritz Carlton Grand Cayman)
Old May 26, 2015, 4:57 pm

There will always be someone richer, more beautiful and better dressed, yet always will there be someone poorer. Not everyone has the same standards, not everyone defines wealth the same way, not everyone chooses to look down on other people just because they set different priorities for themselves. I've met some fabulously wealthy people with money in short supply and some very wealthy people who seemed very poor. A mixture is great. For the better or worse, (monetary) wealth is spread unevenly in this world, it’s a fact and if you can play the game, good, if you enjoy success and want to show & share it, great. This is a reality everyone has to deal with and that’s beautiful. It won’t go away. For some reason though, hotels, especially higher end hotels, seem to be places where worlds and personalities clash.
There are certain standards, certain dress codes, that we have to attend to and they are in place for a reason. The VSOE is a great example. A Pierre-Yves Rochon designed sort-of environment, too. Or Aman Canal Grande. Where it just feels right to dress decently, for the occasion, where the surroundings expect — but not dictate — more elegance. But if someone fails to do that, will I look down on that person? Rather not, as it would say more about me than that other person…
I let other people the freedom to take care of their own image, no comment necessary, rather than judge them. Many people are so talented in making themselves look bad, you just have to sit back and do nothing. I mind my own business, even while traveling, and expect people to do the same. I don’t get a kick out of other people’s „misery“ and I’m certainly happy for them if they’re happy, irrespective of their attire. If someone gets something out of it, good for them, too, as they seem to be very easy to please. I wish everyone well. I don’t have to socialize with them. Why would we care too much about the mediocre crowds, and not create our own crowd, travel with friends, enjoy a lovely stay, fantastic dinner… the crowd fades. Why bother? And money should not be the prominent factor in this discussion, people can look pretty trashy in a Balmain ensemble, or dashing in a Cifonelli suit. Both quality, or expensive, depending on your (double) standard(s). There are no mediocre crowds, and if there are, you’re probably doing something wrong…
And the Ritz Restaurant doesn’t do anything for me, simply by being „The Ritz Restaurant“. I don’t need a restaurant to work on my cachet. There’s no transfer of glamour by purchase alone. A restaurant in my eyes has to work very hard.. with every meal.. to deserve patronage. What do they say in hospitality? "You’re only as good as your last meal." I have the decency to dress the part but I don't pay a visit to a restaurant to contribute to their image and PR. I'm the guest in every way and should be treated like that, even if I wear a Mickey Mouse costume.
Maybe I don’t get and I’m too mediocre/not special enough to fully comprehend the blessing of all the nagging. I’m okay with that. I don’t get why this thread always comes back to money as the underlining issue. It’s a non-issue. A simple fact. No discussion needed.
Life’s too short.

Last edited by scented; May 26, 2015 at 5:16 pm
Old May 26, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by LuxuryRogue
I love to sit at the Ritz, the Brenner's or De Paris and watch the humiliated faces of the simpletons who get turned away
Originally Posted by scented
Many people are so talented in making themselves look bad, you just have to sit back and do nothing.
Enough said. Two smiley faces because apparently those are as inappropriate as short pants. Who knew?
Old May 26, 2015, 6:26 pm

I love to sit at the Ritz, the Brenner's or De Paris and watch the humiliated faces of the simpletons who get turned away
I was turned away at the Ritz for not wearing a jacket and went to the Wolseley next door (where the crowd was better). I wasn't in the least humiliated.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:02 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by erik123
I was turned away at the Ritz for not wearing a jacket and went to the Wolseley next door (where the crowd was better). I wasn't in the least humiliated.
The Wolseley crowd eats the Ritz crowd for breakfast.

This thread is vile.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ritz london is an example of places that have reduced dress code

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 27, 2015 at 7:35 pm
Old May 26, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by offerendum
No, I would call it below average. What was original meant by mediocre has nothing in common with money or clothes. When I sad mediocre crowds in relation to a hotel in Berlin i meant bus tours, soccer fans on tour etc. Itīs simply not a nice atmosphere.
so if you don't want these "crowds" where you go, ask the business to increase the tariff to what they cannot afford but you can !
Unfortunately for you, someone who will pay more than your limit will want to exclude you......
Old May 26, 2015, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For me, it's smokers. Especially people who smoke either (1) in a pool; (2) cigars anywhere. I don't see many pool smokers in luxury properties, but the cigar smokers are sometimes there.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by rjque
For me, it's smokers. Especially people who smoke... cigars anywhere....
I smoke cigars in hotel bars all the time. I have never understood why some people object to them even at bars where cigar smoking is allowed and cigars are available for sale.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by HMPS
so if you don't want these "crowds" where you go, ask the business to increase the tariff to what they cannot afford but you can !
Unfortunately for you, someone who will pay more than your limit will want to exclude you......
Thatīs life! Last comment about Berlin: The RC did many promotions on ebay and other sites to filling up the house. You simply feel it when you are staying. So yes, in some cases itīs about rates. Otherwise I saw many people in hotels I wasnīt too happy with who would pay more or less every rate. In this case it could be a problems of hotel-positioning. If a hotel offers a party-scene I must expect a typecasted crowd. If they do the snobby-way you know who will be there.....

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I smoke cigars in hotel bars all the time. I have never understood why some people object to them even at bars where cigar smoking is allowed and cigars are available for sale.
From smoke I get ill, especially cigar smoke is nauseously. But I agree with you, if itīs a bar were smoking is allowed I have to accept. I simply stay away. It has nothing in common with mediocre crowds. Only excemption people who smoke in non smoking rooms etc.

This one speaks for itself.....

@ dress codes: Never was a fan. Yes, if I visit a fine dining restaurant (a real one) I wear a suit. If Iīm on vacation why should I wear a suit all day? Sometimes a jacket is not thew most appropriate choice.... But if someone like to go hiking with his jacket - why not????
Old May 27, 2015, 1:45 am
Suspended

This one speaks for itself.....
This whole thread speaks for itself

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cedric

How do you say 'fear of mediocre crowd'?

FTphobia

The prescription drug against 'fear of mediocre cowd' is Harddooricyclin.

Foto: XL-package of Harddooricyclin at the Waldorf-Astoria Qasr Al Sharq in Jeddah

I also achieved good temporary results with shutting off my PC.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:04 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
If Iīm on vacation why should I wear a suit all day? Sometimes a jacket is not thew most appropriate choice.... But if someone like to go hiking with his jacket - why not????
In the Spring/Summer 2015 collection by Tom Ford, there's a men's jacket that is almost mesh like. If you put it on a non-opaque surface, you can see the color/light from the surface. Definitely something you can wear for hiking

When the sales guy at the TF store showed me the jacket, he put it on one of those display tables (which is class, and has light on the inside), and it just looks so airy and breezy. Sales guy said "these don't wrinkle either, so you can throw it in your gym bag". Yes, that's exactly what people do with $3800 sportcoats - throw them in gym bags.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by agp423
In the Spring/Summer 2015 collection by Tom Ford, there's a men's jacket that is almost mesh like. If you put it on a non-opaque surface, you can see the color/light from the surface. Definitely something you can wear for hiking

When the sales guy at the TF store showed me the jacket, he put it on one of those display tables (which is class, and has light on the inside), and it just looks so airy and breezy. Sales guy said "these don't wrinkle either, so you can throw it in your gym bag". Yes, that's exactly what people do with $3800 sportcoats - throw them in gym bags.
It can get wrinkled alongside your $30k TF mink sweater.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.