Wiki Posts
Search

M&M Flight Award Booking - FAQ and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sonomawine
This is the first time I have booked an award with M&M and ran across a situation I haven't encountered with other carriers. I have a ticketed biz class award MCO-FRA-ATH coming up next month. First class opened up on the MCO-FRA portion, so I called and confirmed the space was indeed available. However, they were unable to change my ticket because of married segments. They said the only way I could get first from MCO-FRA and onto Athens would be if FRA-ATH had biz availability. Seems odd to me as I have a confirmed biz seat FRA-ATH, and just want to upgrade the first segment. Any solutions?
Welcome to the new stupidity of M&M. I have run into this recently as well. HUACA does not seem to work if you are reaching the NY call center.

I had yet another similar situation last week for a December trip where DEN-FRA-NCE was available in J as married segments. Even though DEN-FRA was also available in F, I could not book DEN-FRA in F connecting to FRA-NCE in J because LH RM offered no married segment avails on an DEN-NCE F/J combo. I wound up just booking DEN-FRA in F and will buy separate FRA-NCE tickets if I can't get FRA-NCE added.

My recommendation would be to cancel FRA-ATH and see if your just cancelled J seat goes back into inventory. If it does, an F/J may show up as a married segment... or not. Some cities like DEN are simply black holes in LH IT. Worst case, take the MCO-FRA in F and spend another 12,500 LM to buy a FRA-ATH Y ticket. It's all crapy Y seating to ATH anyway.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
Just because you see F8 does not mean that M&M will release seats. They almost never release F seats in advance in certain markets... like SFO, LAX and JFK. You will find F seats well in advance from ORD and as well as secondary markets like DEN, SEA, YVR and YYZ.

FYI, LH does not fly to LAS. DFW does not have F service and DEN is only seasonal (winter) F service.
Thank you Mr. SFO777, the legend! I'm sorry, I mistakenly mentioned LAS since I was looking at the return trip using AA miles. I did find availability for the dates I wanted from IAH to FRA. Now I just need to search for the other legs

Thanks again!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Thank you for your wealth of knowledge SFO777. I did a bit of research and found that when F is available MCO-FRA with the most direct connection FRA-ATH that is available in J the married F/J segment will work. Now, do I risk redepositing the award in hopes that the J segment FRA to ATH will go back into inventory. Any insight if LH will make it available in inventory again would be helpful.

Interesting enough, I couldn't get any married segments to work IAD/MIA-FRA/MUC-ATH.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Just an update. I could never find availability FRA-ATH, but called again today. A friendly agent was able to process the MCO-FRA leg upgrade to F with no married segment issues. I guess it is the old lesson: Call until you get a competent agent that knows how to make it work.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: LX HON, BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I'm quite sure I'm missing something here, but...

Award booking return BRU-LAX in business 105k
One way 52K?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The Wolf

One way 52K?
You're not missing anything here, the values are correct.

Now you should look at the taxes of two one ways compared to one return.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: LX HON, BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Noted - cheers
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by The Wolf

One way 52K?

M&M rounds down to the next thousand.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:36 am
PeS

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, BA Gold
Funny error in the M&M application – both screenshots from the same app. A pity the second is the correct one.
Error is quite understandable, which doesn’t excuse it of course (4,294,963,557 + 3,739 = 4,294,967,296 = 2^32) – seems like programmers of the first screen didn’t consider Miles Advance, so a bit of overflow happened.

Last edited by PeS; Dec 18, 2014 at 12:29 pm Reason: Engine replaces math operator by smiley
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:20 pm

Hi There,

Considering transferring SPG to M&M for an award booking...

I am seeing tons of space on LH/LX right now for 3 people in biz, but want to know if:

-This is for real - any other way to check before transferring points?
-Are they all in biz?
-Can you hold awards? I see that mentioned in the wiki, but how do you do it?

Thanks!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:41 pm
PeS

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, BA Gold
Just try to book it except of the last step (confirmation and payment). It should allow you to do so even with less points than necessary.
-Are they all in biz?
Ditto.
No idea, and don't recall seeing this option when been booking C awards yesterday.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by PeS
Just try to book it except of the last step (confirmation and payment). It should allow you to do so even with less points than necessary.
-Are they all in biz?
Ditto.
No idea.
Thanks - oddly, when I try to get past the flight selection page I get the "not enough miles" error right off, cant get past that point.

I have 0 miles, maybe that is why.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: VS Gold
Possible to hold my transatlantic F segment while cancelling/rebooking?

Hello

Back in September, I was able to use my M&M miles to book F SFO-FRA-LHR for June 2015. I was pretty amazed when the availability popped up, to be honest. Most of May and June was open on the M&M website.

Now I'd like to change my dest to ARN but I called and a fairly unpleasant agent said no way, I would have to cancel and book again.

I'm pretty sure if I do that, my SFO-FRA F segment will vanish into the revenue-only quicksand, never to be found again.

Is there really no way to simply change the second segment?

Option #2 is to simple take the SFO-FRA and then offload myself from the FRA-LHR segment, and meanwhile book a Y seat FRA-ARN. I would still get to use the FCT I think.

F awards seem harder to come by these days, esp SFO-FRA on the 380.

Thanks for any insights...
Old Dec 27, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by maxmin
Hello
Back in September, I was able to use my M&M miles to book F SFO-FRA-LHR for June 2015. I was pretty amazed when the availability popped up, to be honest. Most of May and June was open on the M&M website.
Now I'd like to change my dest to ARN but I called and a fairly unpleasant agent said no way, I would have to cancel and book again.
I'm pretty sure if I do that, my SFO-FRA F segment will vanish into the revenue-only quicksand, never to be found again.
Is there really no way to simply change the second segment?
Option #2 is to simple take the SFO-FRA and then offload myself from the FRA-LHR segment, and meanwhile book a Y seat FRA-ARN. I would still get to use the FCT I think.
F awards seem harder to come by these days, esp SFO-FRA on the 380.
Thanks for any insights...
Unfortunately, that's SOP for M&M these days, at least with the US call center. You might HUACA a few times because there are some agents are more helpful that others. But those odds are slim. Don't know if calling Germany would yield any different results.

I agree that it would be very risky to drop SFO-FRA. If you bought a separate ticket regardless of class, you would get FCT-FCL access. Hint: a roundtrip FRA-ARN is likely to be cheaper than a one way.

The only wrinkle is your current ticket which shows LHR as the final destination. A separate FRA-ARN while you still have a conflicting FRA-LHR might be an issue and cause LH to cancel one of the tickets. I would see if LH would cancel FRA-LHR without having to delete SFO-FRA. They may charge you $60 to change but the taxes to FRA should be lower than to LHR.

Last edited by SFO777; Dec 27, 2014 at 12:43 pm
Old Dec 27, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: VS Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Unfortunately, that's SOP for M&M these days, at least with the US call center. You might HUACA a few times because there are some agents are more helpful that others. But those odds are slim. Don't know if calling Germany would yield any different results.

I agree that it would be very risky to drop SFO-FRA. If you bought a separate ticket regardless of class, you would get FCT-FCL access. Hint: a roundtrip FRA-ARN is likely to be cheaper than a one way.

The only wrinkle is your current ticket which shows LHR as the final destination. A separate FRA-ARN while you still have a conflicting FRA-LHR might be an issue and cause LH to cancel one of the tickets. I would see if LH would cancel FRA-LHR without having to delete SFO-FRA. They may charge you $60 to change but the taxes to FRA should be lower than to LHR.
Hi SFO777

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Not the first time you've helped me with a decision on LH SFO-FRA F award, I might add

Yes I did wonder about the conflict. I might book the FRA-ARN on another site without using my M&M number to get around that. But being German (i.e. more advanced than most) they may still figure it out. Having multiple passports helps in such situations!

One funny thing I noticed is that if I search on the UA site for a J RT ticket, it can show $700 one moment and $1200+ a few minutes later. Whereas any other booking site it's consistently $1200+.

I'll try to HUACA M&M a few times in case I get a kindly soul. There are some out there, I'm sure of it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.