Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEW: KLM Economy Comfort!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by erik123
Did anyone notice an issue with the discount for elites? The price offered is the remains the same, whether a new or existing booking, logged in or logged out.
I can confirm the price discount, at least as FB Plat for EC on short-haul; below is a summary of an email I received after selecting EC seats at OLCI for a recent trip:

Originally Posted by KLM
Dear passenger,

We are happy to confirm that the payment for your extra option or options was successful!

We wish you a great journey!

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Glasgow (GLA) - Naples (NAP)
3x Seat(s) = GBP 0.00
However, their IT system is clearly not very efficient, as the charge has not yet appeared on my CC statement!

-- Henry
Old Nov 23, 2014, 3:34 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Henry III
However, their IT system is clearly not very efficient, as the charge has not yet appeared on my CC statement!

For me the discount works as well. However I did note that it does not matter if you are logged in to the website or not: As long as your FB number is in the booking you will get the discount.

When I open a new browser session without cookies (incognito mode) and do a dummy booking, the price for EC is double the price that is offered when I do OLCI with my FB profile in the booking. Which is correct (At least by their rules, 50% discount for Gold elites).
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios

For me the discount works as well. However I did note that it does not matter if you are logged in to the website or not: As long as your FB number is in the booking you will get the discount.

When I open a new browser session without cookies (incognito mode) and do a dummy booking, the price for EC is double the price that is offered when I do OLCI with my FB profile in the booking. Which is correct (At least by their rules, 50% discount for Gold elites).
Thanks - Correct - When I used a different browser it showed the higher price on a new booking.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Tweeted (direct message) @KLM about selecting an EC or preferred seat as a DL Platinum and provided my SM number. They told me to contact Delta about using Skymiles to upgrade.

Edit: Now they're telling me there are no seats open even though a dummy booking shows otherwise. Do I have a decent shot at getting EC seats if I show up to the airport without seat assignments?

Last edited by mattp1987; Dec 15, 2014 at 11:54 am
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:32 am

Programs: FB Gold, TK Miles & Smiles Elite, Aeroplan
A few days ago I OLCI'd myself and a colleague, one plat, the other gold, together on 2 separate PNR's. Unfortunately there were no C seats available for this flight so we booked Y to upgrade to comfort.

We picked the comfort seats, free for Plat but EUR 40 for gold, but went through the entire OLCI process and printed the boarding passes without once being asked for payment.

Thanks for the Xmas gift KLM ^
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Economy comfort free when all other seats assigned?

Someone asked me today what happens when all seats in economy are assigned and the only choices that remain are in economy comfort. Does the passenger have to pony up the money or is KLM/AF/DL required to offer the seat for free?

I didn't have an answer... I assume the situation rarely presents itself, or that someone checking in that late would end up in the middle anyway (and economy comfort or not, the middle is never fun).
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:22 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
Someone asked me today what happens when all seats in economy are assigned and the only choices that remain are in economy comfort. Does the passenger have to pony up the money or is KLM/AF/DL required to offer the seat for free?

I didn't have an answer... I assume the situation rarely presents itself, or that someone checking in that late would end up in the middle anyway (and economy comfort or not, the middle is never fun).
The seat is then offered for free. There is a risk of course by doing OLCI at the last moment that you could be offered free EC or would be stuck in the middle at the back.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
They are assigned for free. One of the things that really annoys me about KLM's system. They should upgrade an Elite, not give the seat to someone who flies once a year.

And the same, BTW, goes for emergency exit seats. I've seen them occupied by the most clueless people imagineable - and by people who spoke neither English nor Dutch.

I didn't have an answer... I assume the situation rarely presents itself
It presents itself A LOT on short-haul flights - especialy short short-haul flights. On my usual routes (NWI-AMS and AMS-HAM) both EC and the emergency exit row are usually empty, or nearly so, when I do OLCI. If it's a light load they remain empty. If it's a full flight they get filled with the people who didn't check in online.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
It presents itself A LOT on short-haul flights - especialy short short-haul flights.
I can confirm that, same thing happens on my usual AMS-CPH route.

As for longhaul, I regularly look at KL807 AMS-TPE-MNL seat maps. These flights are usually very full, but just about all the "comfort"/preferred/EER/what-have-you are shown as available whenever I check, right up to OLCI. It would appear that very few pax are willing to pay for a "better" seat, at least on this particular route.

Johan
Old Dec 20, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
Isn't there a potential security issue with this way of assigning emergency exit seats? I mean, in case of a serious accident where all pax need to disembark immediately, using the emergency exits, I don't want to be reliant on someone who is flying the first time in his life. And yet this system greatly improves the chance that the emergency exit seats are occupied by people for whom the interior of an aircraft is completely new. Or exit rows are not occupied at all.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is my understanding that neither children nor the elderly and frail may be allocated EER seats, but that it is not against the rules to leave them empty.

Johan
Old Feb 17, 2015, 2:22 am

I havent been able to find an official source, however ticketspy reports that EC pricing will change:

1. Price will be dependent on season (high season = high price)
2. Early bird discount. If you book X time before the flight you get an discount additional to the status discount:

30-59 days before departure: 10 euro discount
60-89 days before departure: 20 euro discount
90+days before departure: 30 euro discount

Presumably this only applies to long haul EC pricing, and not short haul.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:08 am
Original Poster

I havent been able to find an official source, however ticketspy reports that EC pricing will change:

1. Price will be dependent on season (high season = high price)
2. Early bird discount. If you book X time before the flight you get an discount additional to the status discount:

30-59 days before departure: 10 euro discount
60-89 days before departure: 20 euro discount
90+days before departure: 30 euro discount

Presumably this only applies to long haul EC pricing, and not short haul.

Correct, see the Q/A on this topic:
http://acn.klmsys.net/downloads/bijl...10feb%20V3.pdf
Old Feb 21, 2015, 5:56 am

Thanks. This also confirms that they will be increasing the base price to 180 euro one-way. Meaning the only way to get the old pricelevels is by flying off-season, or booking a very long time beforehand. This means that KLM has found yet another way to squeeze extra money out of people that are forced to book late, at an already high fare.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks. This also confirms that they will be increasing the base price to 180 euro one-way. Meaning the only way to get the old pricelevels is by flying off-season, or booking a very long time beforehand. This means that KLM has found yet another way to squeeze extra money out of people that are forced to book late, at an already high fare.
Or that there is sufficient demand for EC LH that they can raise the prices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.