Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL - Hot Cabin

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Just flew 720 from CGK-NRT. I have NEVER BEEN COLDER on an airplane in my life. And I like it cold. I had THREE blankets wrapped around me. I've flow JL a few times, and this is not the norm. Usually I'm very uncomfortable. As a bonus, only 60 pax on the fight. One of the best flights I've had in Y in a long time.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
flew on JL 6, cool at first but warmed up. with a full F cabin (4 japanese), i didn't want to say anything but when i did, there was a 2-4 degree F decrease in temperature.

i always prefer exit row seats in coach since the window exit is always cooler. i just wish there was a way to do so on a 773 in a premium cabin so that pax can choose cooler/warmer.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 44C
Flying the 787 DFW-NRT in December in J. Anyone have any input if it makes a difference if situated in the front or back of the J cabin in terms of temperature?

Also on one JAL website virtual tour, and according to Seatguru (yes I know hardly reliable), there are individual vents above each seat on the 787:

https://www.jal.co.jp/jal_panorama/787_kinai/

However on this one no vents exist:

https://www.jal.co.jp/jal_panorama/skysuite787/

Cabin temperature on the 787 is divided into 4 zones labelled A, B, C, and D. "A" would be the front and "D" the rear of the cabin. The pilots have the master control for temperature. They should set that in the automatic mode and in the middle position which corresponds to 24 degrees C or about 75 F. The flight attendants then have a separate control where they can vary the temperature in each zone by plus or minus 10 F.

What can happen is the pilots change the master temperature or just not set it in the middle position. That would adversely affect the ability of the flight attendants to keep the temperature in a middle range.

Same system on the B777, but there are 6 zones.

It should be dead simple to control the temperature in the cabin on both the 787 and 777 so any excuse from a flight attendant that it's not should be politely challenged.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:16 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Just stepped off a JAL Express NGO-CTS 738 flight. Temp was a nice cool 20C. Quickly nodded to sleep.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:42 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by percysmith
Just stepped off a JAL Express NGO-CTS 738 flight. Temp was a nice cool 20C. Quickly nodded to sleep.
Did you travel in time? JEX no longer exists.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:33 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by JALPak
Did you travel in time? JEX no longer exists.
I'm just reading the name on the side of the can http://m.hongkongcard.com/webeditor/..._968036751.jpg . You're right it's probably a JAL flight but the equipment is ex-JEX
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: m&m
JL 043 HND-LHR in F: Cabin temperature OK, slept well.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
And 20c is super cool. I'm "fighting" for 22 or 23.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
How do you guys identify the 'actual' temp? Agree -- the Asian carriers (CX not too bad) are typically too warm for comfort.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
How do you guys identify the 'actual' temp?
I'm referencing the LED screen and settings in Exit Row 45.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
How do you guys identify the 'actual' temp? Agree -- the Asian carriers (CX not too bad) are typically too warm for comfort.
Smart phones usually have (quite reliable) thermometers built into them. I've double checked mine with an actual thermometer, it was always correct +/- .5C
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Smart phones usually have (quite reliable) thermometers built into them. I've double checked mine with an actual thermometer, it was always correct +/- .5C
As long as it is an Android smartphone.... dont think apple has any such apps
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors Gold
Just flew JL10 from NRT-ORD today and the flight was quite warm. I was beginning to think it was me until the last 30 minutes one of my seat mates made a comment to the cabin crew that it had been quite warm the whole trip. That was followed by an agreement with someone behind us saying the same thing. My seat mate was Japanese and spoke to the FA in Japanese. He told me what he said without me asking. He also commented that is what the person behind us said as well ( again in Japanese). The FA appeared to be quite apologetic and sincere in her response (even though I have no idea what she said).

I was glad to find this forum and determine it wasn't just me who felt the flight was warmer than usual.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Ugh. Just got off of a quite warm NRT-LAX flight. The flight HKG-NRT before that was equally as warm, though at least cooled off at cruising altitude.

This is one area where US carriers shine: Personal air vents!!!!
Old Dec 5, 2015, 3:45 pm

Besides the manual, could the flight crew's home base have something to do with the temps?

Flying CGK-NRT, the overwhelming majority of the cheapy Y crew was not based in Japan.

When I board, I ask any FA that will listen, please.. 22 or 23C (don't push my luck). This time, the FA came back saying it was set to 21C.

Wow!

I think they put it lower, because I was freezing during the whole flight. Careful what you ask for.

Also, I wouldn't say the crew was "unsmiling", but definitely not "exuberant". And, noticed the bathrooms were kept quite messy, even dirty. Then, I actually saw, for the first time ever, a FA actually sit down in the Exit Row jump seat during the flight.

OK. It was only for less than a minute (maybe, because I could not stop myself from staring) but it was a first for me, 'cause from what I know, they eat and rest behind the curtains.

The NRT-CGK-NRT crew get about 30 hours between flights. I did that schedule once, and imagining working again for 7 plus hours would be painful. Tough crew, because it never shows.

Last edited by zznoname; Dec 5, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.