Wiki Posts
Search

Anywhere Challenge: Win up to 60,000 points over the next 8 weeks

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I'm assuming we might as well stick in a different variation of the answer every day ... no harm done
Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:45 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
I'm assuming we might as well stick in a different variation of the answer every day ... no harm done
That's what we're doing with the two accounts in our family this week. Once this first 'round' is over, we should all have a better idea of what works.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:10 pm

The California lighthouse is definitely NOT in Oranjestad. The four things in the picture are nowhere near one another on the island, so it doesn't make sense for the answer to be anything but "Aruba", "Aruba, Caribbean", "Aruba, Lesser Antilles", etc.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by ZeppoX
And IIRC there have been many offers aimed at Asian countries, but not at North American countries. Ditto Central America but not North America. Same reasons.
I dont think there are many offers as good as those given to North American countries exclusively for Asians countries.. not sure about Central America though...
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Plat, PC Plat RA, HHonors Gold, National EE
If it means anything, the Aruba tourism office's address ends with, "Aruba, Dutch Caribbean."
Old Sep 9, 2010, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club, Emerald Club, Amtrak
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
I dont think there are many offers as good as those given to North American countries exclusively for Asians countries.. not sure about Central America though...
You make a good point.

Regs may explain that there are separate offers.
But do not explain relative frequency and quality of offers.
That is explained by a judgment on the top-line and bottom-line benefits to the company.

We must keep in mind that none of this is about loyalty, nor about "rewarding" repeat customers. It is all about driving revenue and profits.

I confess being irritated by posts that complain about such differences as if they were based on discrimination, rather than on a cold analysis of numbers (accurate or inaccurate numbers we certainly can speculate).

You did not really allege discrimination - and my apologies for an overreaction.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by TeflonMan
... and this thread is now #4 on those search results!
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ZeppoX
Your complaint needs to be addressed to your country's government. Regulatory barriers add costs that must be factored into the calculation of marketing cost-benefit. That is why in North America we see offers aimed at U.S. and offers aimed at Canada, but rarely offers aimed at both. And IIRC there have been many offers aimed at Asian countries, but not at North American countries. Ditto Central America but not North America. Same reasons.
Might language also play a role? It's US, UK and Canada, but excluding Quebec. Maybe they don't want to translate the stuff into various languages and then be accused that the poor translation was "discrimination".
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
Originally Posted by grlmopz
The California lighthouse is definitely NOT in Oranjestad. The four things in the picture are nowhere near one another on the island, so it doesn't make sense for the answer to be anything but "Aruba", "Aruba, Caribbean", "Aruba, Lesser Antilles", etc.
Look at my previous post and a link in it. If you tell me those two are different lighthouses then I'm probably blind.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by foxberg
Look at my previous post and a link in it. If you tell me those two are different lighthouses then I'm probably blind.
It is NOT in the town of Oranjestad if this is the California Lighthouse it is located at the North tip of the island.

http://www.aruba-travelguide.com/sig...ighthouse.html

The picture has a collages of the attractions on the whole island of Aruba. I think it has to be Aruba, followed by whatever words to denote its political or geographical location.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:10 pm

Very possible answer!

I read the forum and did some extra research and here is what I found out about "The Arikok National Park , Aruba"

The Arikok National Park land area encompasses the three primary geological formations that shape the island of Aruba: the Aruba lava formation, a quartz diorite formation and a limestone formation extending inward from the coastline. - It matches the clue from day 3

As a result, the park is the habitat of several animal species found only in Aruba including two snake species: the cascabel, Crotalus thurissus uni-color (Aruba island's rattlesnake) and the santanero, Leptodira bakeri (Aruba cat-eyed snake); the kododo blauw, Cnemido- phorus arubensus (Aruban whiptail lizard); and two bird species: the shoco, Athene cunicu- laria arubensis (Aruban burrowing owl) and the prikichi, Aratinga pertinax arubensis (Aruban parakeet). - It matches the clue from day 2
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Well Clue 4 is Caribbean so I agree that Aruba is likely. But we are told to be very specific.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 7:06 am

Foxberg: The link you've included someone's vacation photos who has erroneously used the general heading of "Oranjestad, Aruba". The California Lighthouse (depicted in the photo) is about seven miles from Oranjestad, on the north tip of the island. The natural bridge (also photographed) is a similar distance east of Oranjestad.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
Originally Posted by grlmopz
Foxberg: The link you've included someone's vacation photos who has erroneously used the general heading of "Oranjestad, Aruba". The California Lighthouse (depicted in the photo) is about seven miles from Oranjestad, on the north tip of the island. The natural bridge (also photographed) is a similar distance east of Oranjestad.
This is the full address of the California Lighthouse:

California White Sand Dunes, Oranjestad, Aruba
Old Sep 10, 2010, 7:42 am

Programs: Priority Club, HHonors, Marriott Rewards, Choice Privileges, WorldPerks, SkyMiles, RapidRewards
I also received the bulk email one day after the contest started. Jee, thanks, Priority Club.

I've gone with
Arikok National Park, Aruba, Netherlands

for 3 days now.

It's based exactly on their suggested wording when you enter the contest - park, state, country.

I guess we'll see Monday...good luck all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.