Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Jet airways one way upgrade cost LHR-BOM from Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jet airways one way upgrade cost LHR-BOM from Y

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2013, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by flyby747
In case anyone interested, I DID get a one-way upgrade (what they now call 'upsell' ) from economy to premier on Jet airways. I paid £699+ £4.50 creditcard charge. This is in contrary to the 'list' what onlysuites posted earlier.

a) I am not a jet privilage member
b) I do not have any relatives working for Jet
b) First time I am flying jet airways !
looks like you paid the difference between your economy & business fare....they do that all the time at the airport....
Old Sep 5, 2013, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Keyser
looks like you paid the difference between your economy & business fare....they do that all the time at the airport....
Yeah that is what I think too.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 9:45 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Originally Posted by onlysuites
the pecking order is normally

4. House help of staff who are travelling
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MHC/5280AGL ; list too long to be boastful ;-)
Yeah that is what I think too.
Onlysuites and keyser,

May be its helpful for you to know - jet airways uses travel consolidator and these consolidators publishes 'special fares' to cross sell via other ticketing mechanisms. jet uses dnatas agents screens at heathrow ticketing desk and this will only show up if they have last minute availability.
For your info, premier on the same day was £1800
Old Sep 7, 2013, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Onlysuites and keyser,

May be its helpful for you to know - jet airways uses travel consolidator and these consolidators publishes 'special fares' to cross sell via other ticketing mechanisms. jet uses dnatas agents screens at heathrow ticketing desk and this will only show up if they have last minute availability.
Interesting. I wonder why they did not offer it to me when I flew last month. I even spoke with their airport manager who said they stopped it a while back.

But good to know its possible.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Interesting. I wonder why they did not offer it to me when I flew last month. I even spoke with their airport manager who said they stopped it a while back.

But good to know its possible.

Did you fly on Y ?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you fly on Y ?
I was in business but travelling with a colleague who was in Economy. I tried to upgrade to First which in the past I had been quoted £600 for and he tried for business.

Both of us were told that they stopped this a while back by the airport manager.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Ok, onlysuites, for your info - no airline will ever 'stop' selling upgrades on the day of flight. You may have been unlucky on that day becuase of the load factor they were on J and F.

In economics, there is a term called 'Fixed Costs', and to recover the same for J and F, the only way is 'offer' it and get it from customers.
Most airlines prefer 'cash' than miles/points because it adds/offsets their operational revenue/cost.

I will post what happened on my return BOM-LHR soon...
Old Sep 13, 2013, 4:54 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Ok, onlysuites, for your info - no airline will ever 'stop' selling upgrades on the day of flight. You may have been unlucky on that day becuase of the load factor they were on J and F.
Note that onlysuites flies on Jet regularly ex-LHR - or, at least *used to fly* regularly, so he is quite familiar with the procedures there...

(That's why he is quite surprised that they offered the upsell.)

However, the OP might have simply paid the fare difference, and then not a discounted upgrade option at all.

We would have to know the fare basis of the underlying ticket and whether the OP also got miles/credit for the premium cabin.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Note that onlysuites flies on Jet regularly ex-LHR - or, at least *used to fly* regularly, so he is quite familiar with the procedures there...

(That's why he is quite surprised that they offered the upsell.)

However, the OP might have simply paid the fare difference, and then not a discounted upgrade option at all.

We would have to know the fare basis of the underlying ticket and whether the OP also got miles/credit for the premium cabin.
Welcome to the changing world, SuperFlyBoy.
I repeat, i.e for the third time that I did not pay the 'fare difference'.

I simply paid the 'upsell'. Upsell fare is independent of the original fare class of booking when someone purchases the ticket. That is the fare available in case the load factor in J or F going below a point on the day of flight. They(Jet) can also promote upsell last minute if they wish to (normally few hours before flight ticketing gets closed). Hope you get it and understand this time at least.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 5:19 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Welcome to the changing world, SuperFlyBoy.
I repeat, i.e for the third time that I did not pay the 'fare difference'.

I simply paid the 'upsell'. Upsell fare is independent of the original fare class of booking when you purchased the ticket. That is the fare available in case the load factor in J or F going below a point. They(Jet) can promote upsell during last minute if they wish to. Hope you get it and understand this time at least.
Sorry - I didn't re-read the thread for all the info - some I missed.

Congrats anyway and let's see how often they keep doing this - would be interested...

Did you bank the miles to any particular program, and if so, what did post there?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 5:21 am

Was this a round-trip fare?

And I assume this was discounted, as they were selling off seats on the day of travel, correct?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Sorry - I didn't re-read the thread for all the info - some I missed.

Congrats anyway and let's see how often they keep doing this - would be interested...

Did you bank the miles to any particular program, and if so, what did post there?
Firstly, I am not a jet privilage member. Also, I was told buying upsell does make you eligible for miles/points.

When I am travelling alone on cheap Y fare - I alwys look for upgrade at the airport ticketing desk. That always worked 8 of 10 times with EK, BA and glad it worked first time with JET too.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 5:31 am

When I am travelling alone on cheap Y fare - I alwys look for upgrade at the airport ticketing desk. That always worked 8 of 10 times with EK, BA and glad it worked first time with JET too.
^

By the way, how did the upsell price compare with EK and BA?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Was this a round-trip fare?

And I assume this was discounted, as they were selling off seats on the day of travel, correct?
That was 'advertised' oneway fare on the day of departure....
Upsell fares are not advertised to the public via GDS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.