Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Sacramento REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Sacramento REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:30 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Decent if You're Prepared

My wife and I stayed here for a rock-bottom $87 AAA just after New Year's. I had Diamond CS apply a Suite UG Cert, but didn't like the "Park" standard suite (no windows except in bedroom; bedroom open to living room; suite next to elevator), so I asked to be reassigned to a Park View corner room (x39) which has a fabulous view and balcony, Capitol Park being right in front (UG cert was returned to the bank). The other prime corner room is right across the corridor with an excellent Capitol view (x38), but you can see the Capitol from the Park View rooms too, and I think their outlook is just slightly more balanced (pool visible to left, very restful with trees in front).

The guest floors had been renovated since our previous visit....nice, very modern. Blacks and reds in the corridor and at the elevator landing. The room had a walk-in shower, chaise lounge sofa and easy chair with bold cushion color accents.

The RC was closed because it was a weekend, and the front desk clerk volunteered that 2.5K points would be added to our account. However, a week later, they haven't been added - need to call CS (we did get the G2 and 1W bonuses). Breakfast certs were provided for VINES Restaurant, reading that they are valid for the buffet. A later request for AAA breakfast certs (to allow ordering off the menu) resulted in the identical certs being offered. In practice, you can apply the certs towards $18 menu value, however you may be liable for tax and gratuity which are included with the buffet. One real bonus on Sundays is that the certs are good for brunch until the Diamond checkout time of 2:00 pm - AND they may be applied towards an innovative three-course tasting menu including champagne priced at $28. Our young male waiter, btw, was excellent.

We spent the evening at a friend's house, but if we'd been at the hotel the conservatory-like Amaranth Bar looked like a nice, airy place to hang out - and has a decent menu. In an interesting marketing twist, room key cards have pictures of the hotel's steakhouse (Dawson's), restaurant, and bar.

We slept in and took a noontime swim at the heated outdoor pool, in foggy, 48-degree conditions. We then enjoyed the adjacent outdoor whirlpool. It's great to be able to do this - we appeared to be the only guests enjoying the pool on these days. The hotel's bathrobes were essential for our pool visit.

The hotel does have a problem honoring Hyatt's free Internet pledge for Diamond and Platinum members, as they want to charge for a second device in the room (for example, my wife's computer), and charge $6 extra for high-speed access ($15.95, vs. $9.95 for "standard" access which on a previous stay was almost useless). IMHO Hyatt Corporate should look into this. At the least, Diamond members should be free of all such add-on charges, without having to argue their case at the front desk on checkout. Legally, I don't think the hotel has a case based on the T&C.

Last edited by Explore; Jan 10, 2010 at 8:36 am
Old Apr 26, 2010, 5:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt, UA
Suites at Hyatt Sacramento

What are the suites like at the city center Hyatt in Sacramento? have a stay there later this year with family 2 adults and 2 kids and want to know if it is worth it to use a Diamond upgrade cert for the stay
Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:52 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by rntraveller
What are the suites like at the city center Hyatt in Sacramento? have a stay there later this year with family 2 adults and 2 kids and want to know if it is worth it to use a Diamond upgrade cert for the stay
I received a PArk Capitol Suite there last december using an upgrade. The room was large and had a large dining table, mini fridge, large couch and flat screen tv in the living area. one bedroom with a king bed and large bathroom.

Two drawbacks, especially with family, the bedroom is separated from the suite area by doorways but there are no doors and the bathroom has a shower only no bathtub.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 6:37 pm

Stayed here one night. The lobby area was a bit dated, but clean and standard. Room was nice and spacious enough. Checked-in quite early and got a 4th floor room with not much of a view (partial swimming pool). FD staff was friendly at check-in and check-out, explained the various amenities at the hotel, gave breakfast certs and late check-out (big bonus).

Had free breakfast the next morning at the Vines Restaurant in the lobby. Food was pretty standard fare. Unfortunately, the host who seated us could use some tips on customer service. He did not make eye contact with me and did not speak directly to me, instead deferring all of his eye contact and attention to my girlfriend, all the while ignoring my existence. On top of that while seating me he proceeded to ram the chair into my rear side. Rest of the restaurant staff was friendly, though a bit slow with requests.

Self-parked car overnight. It was a Saturday night, and I think a lot of people who are going to nearby nightclubs park in the same garage. Generally most of the garage was not very well lit, and while it didn't feel completely unsafe to me, my girlfriend was a little wary and there were a few drunks wandering around, as well as some seedier characters. We made sure to park near the elevator/well-lit areas. No problem with vehicle the next morning. In and out was easy with room key-card acting as access card for the garage.

Like others here, I had issues with GP points posting correctly. Even though I booked through Hyatt.com they flagged my stay as "Ineligible". This seems like a recurring issue with this property. Call to GP fixed the issue immediately.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by portlandexpos04
Stayed here one night. The lobby area was a bit dated, but clean and standard. Room was nice and spacious enough. Checked-in quite early and got a 4th floor room with not much of a view (partial swimming pool). FD staff was friendly at check-in and check-out, explained the various amenities at the hotel, gave breakfast certs and late check-out (big bonus).

Had free breakfast the next morning at the Vines Restaurant in the lobby. Food was pretty standard fare. Unfortunately, the host who seated us could use some tips on customer service. He did not make eye contact with me and did not speak directly to me, instead deferring all of his eye contact and attention to my girlfriend, all the while ignoring my existence. On top of that while seating me he proceeded to ram the chair into my rear side. Rest of the restaurant staff was friendly, though a bit slow with requests.

Self-parked car overnight. It was a Saturday night, and I think a lot of people who are going to nearby nightclubs park in the same garage. Generally most of the garage was not very well lit, and while it didn't feel completely unsafe to me, my girlfriend was a little wary and there were a few drunks wandering around, as well as some seedier characters. We made sure to park near the elevator/well-lit areas. No problem with vehicle the next morning. In and out was easy with room key-card acting as access card for the garage.

Like others here, I had issues with GP points posting correctly. Even though I booked through Hyatt.com they flagged my stay as "Ineligible". This seems like a recurring issue with this property. Call to GP fixed the issue immediately.
Could you or someone else comment on the situation for street parking on weekends? I have a stay next Sat and was curious if street parking was available (i.e. do I have to pay meter on Sat), close by, and/or safe? Thanks.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Street parking is available. I know on Sunday you would be safe with no meter being enforced but think it would still be Saturday after 6 PM. The are can get pretty busy with the convention center next door street parking fills fast. That garage has always been like that. It is I believe still city owned. I am always concerned about a scrape or ding on our vehicles but also concerned about a break-in parking on the street. If on the street I would limit myself to within a decent distance of the Hyatt not that anyone from the staff would run out and "save" ones car anyways.

I have never been impressed by the host staff at the restaurant. There was at least when we would do Hyatt check-in before the Hyatt Place decent wait staff.

Please confirm parking time limits. With the budget the way it is who knows what the city has come up with. Enjoy Sacramento. Oh. There is a true city lot near the Sheraton which may be cheaper and better light. Check that on out online.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 11:18 am
DH

If you self park, parking garage is connected to the building unlike Sheraton next door who's garage is located across the street.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Today's Sacramento Groupon is for the hotel restaurant, Dawson's. $25 for $50 worth of dining. Purchase by tonight, 11.59pm PT.

If you're new to Groupon, please PM me for my referral link. Thanks.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:19 am

i'm surprised no one has mentioned the absolutely ridiculous directions to and location of the gym. i kid you not:

1. you take an elevator to the second floor.
2. you walk across the entire ballroom meeting room level and see a sign at the end of the hall, but the only room left is a meeting room.
3. you must then intuit that the fitness center is thorugh the doors to the garage, as in you can see cars and cement and nothing else, because the gym is not there!
4. you find yourself in your shorts and t-shirt in a freezing cold garage where there is a sign indicating you must take an elevator to the ground floor. there are stairs but since you are now in a public parking garage you follow the directions (yes you can take the stairs after all).
5. you exit and realize you are on the street! there is no sign. there is nothing but the sidewalk, you turn right because left is the front of the hotel and obviously if the gym were really here you would have been directed to the first floor.
6. you wonder if you are on candid camera.
7. you walk to the right and find the entrance to the parking garage- still no signage, then another storefront that is not the gym, then, nearly on the corner, nowhere near the hotel at all, you find: stayfit.

totally, ridiclous imho, and no one at the front desk tells you to take an umbrella or outdoor clothing if you are heading to the gym.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:46 pm

LOL! That would drive me crazy! Its not a Hyatt but the Marriott San Diego Gaslamp has their fitness center on the 22nd floor shared with a nightclub. One must walk through the crowd in workout attire to access the fitness center.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 8:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
Here for the weekend. RC not open on weekends so 2500 pts for diamonds.

Dinner at Dawson's last night, food excellent, service exceptional.

Diamond breakfast was either buffet or order off the menu. I received a voucher for the breakfast and, per waiter, it includes the gratituty. Buffet was delicious with fresh, fresh fruits and berries, cheeses, too much to list but my fav was the fresh berries.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 5:43 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last time I was here, years ago, I was upgraded to a suite that overlooked the Governator's patio (complete with ash tray for cigars). Back again for the night, but Arnie is gone so this time they were kind enough to upgrade me to the room he used to have. It does have a largeish patio with a view of the Capitol building -- although the ashtray is gone. Inside there is a large living room with grand piano, wet bar, fridge, large bathroom (and a guest toilet room as well). Well kept and nice and the tobacco smell, if there was any, is gone.

Club is, as others have noted, closed on the weekend.

I would guess this is the nicest hotel in Sacramento. I would stay here again.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 9:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Last time I was here, years ago, I was upgraded to a suite that overlooked the Governator's patio (complete with ash tray for cigars). Back again for the night, but Arnie is gone so this time they were kind enough to upgrade me to the room he used to have. It does have a largeish patio with a view of the Capitol building -- although the ashtray is gone. Inside there is a large living room with grand piano, wet bar, fridge, large bathroom (and a guest toilet room as well). Well kept and nice and the tobacco smell, if there was any, is gone.

Club is, as others have noted, closed on the weekend.

I would guess this is the nicest hotel in Sacramento. I would stay here again.
Glad you got a room. They were sending people to the Citizen because they overbooked.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 12:20 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sz2628
Glad you got a room. They were sending people to the Citizen because they overbooked.
There is a major Jehovah's Witness convention in town and that is filling up all the hotels near the convention center. Ends today, Sunday.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 2:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
There is a major Jehovah's Witness convention in town and that is filling up all the hotels near the convention center. Ends today, Sunday.
Yea, but they will be back every weekend until the end of august. They just got a 5 year contract with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.