Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by edgewood49
The Grand is far worse than the PHV.
I've only stayed at the PHV when in Paris so my experience of the Le Grand is limited to a walk thru of the lobby, but is it really "far worse"? For those that have stayed at both, if we use the assumption that the PHV is about an 8 on a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the Le Grand? Just curious as I'm sitting on a nice stash of IHG points.

I beg you all, dont bring up the breakfast at either location. I can't take anymore breakfast discussion
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
I've only stayed at the PHV when in Paris so my experience of the Le Grand is limited to a walk thru of the lobby, but is it really "far worse"? For those that have stayed at both, if we use the assumption that the PHV is about an 8 on a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the Le Grand? Just curious as I'm sitting on a nice stash of IHG points.

I beg you all, dont bring up the breakfast at either location. I can't take anymore breakfast discussion
Well what i found in the past ( which IHG has changed somewhat) is if your staying on points you get Nada. No internet a modest room upgrade, ours outer looked the HVAC and not even access to the private lounge. I was PLT with them, had the same experience at the CP in Milan and IC AMS. I hear tell now if your there on points you do get internet.

With Hyatt and Marriott you get treated equally whether your on points or paid. I am a Lifetime PLT with Marriott and toggle between them and Hyatt depending on location, city and country.

The Grand is a beautiful old hotel and a lot of charm great location however personally I might chose to use my points somewhere else unless of course that is your way to stay in Paris.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
That was a "tongue and cheek" remark. per se. Having spent many years abroad during US Holidays I have always found that there is some acknowledgment some more prominent than others.

I have British friends that celebrate 4th of July because they got rid of "us colonialist " !!!
Got it, and I can sympathise with your Brit friends, being originally one myself (now living in a far-flung colony!)
Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Wan1dap
I don't mean to offend, but just checking you realise there's no such thing as Thanksgiving in France? Didn't want you to get your expectations up, only to be disappointed! Of course, celebrating Thanksgiving there is definitely doable, given the dining choices - but it's just another day to the French.
OT, but Thanksgiving can be celebrated anywhere. The Oak Door at GH Tokyo has a delicious Thanksgiving set menu. Even if turkey or other Thanksgiving foods are not normally served at PH Vendome, I am sure they could produce a veritable Thanksgiving feast if given a couple days notice.

All kinds of requests like this are common in hotels that cater to an international clientele.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Apr 10, 2014 at 3:20 am
Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
OT, but Thanksgiving can be celebrated anywhere. The Oak Door at GH Tokyo has a delicious Thanksgiving set menu. Even if turkey or other Thanksgiving foods are not normally served at PH Vendome, I am sure they could produce a veritable Thanksgiving feast if given a couple days notice.

All kinds of requests like this are common in hotels that cater to an international clientele.
I have a feeling that PUR will have turkey ! Anyway the Christmas decorations will be up and that's worth the price of admission alone. Was there last Christmas and had a blast
Old Apr 10, 2014, 11:03 am

I have a feeling that PUR will have turkey ! Anyway the Christmas decorations will be up and that's worth the price of admission alone. Was there last Christmas and had a blast
As a property wholly owned by Hyatt, they certainly should have a proper Thanksgiving menu!
Old Apr 10, 2014, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
As a property wholly owned by Hyatt, they certainly should have a proper Thanksgiving menu!
^ but with French wine !!!
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K
Paris - Park Vendome - REVIEWS - MASTER THREAD - 8/2011 Forwards

I've stayed at both hotels (as ambassador and as a diamond) and liked them both differently. The grand it's like staying in a Louis the 14th palace. As you walk in the hallways, there are great works of art, replicas of course, but still. Everything is ornate. As an ambassador, you are offered to upgrade to the club lounge for €100 a stay. It is worth it on a three or four day stay, especially if you're with someone: the lounge is just terrific: great food, drinks, service. The Vendome, on the other hand, is more stylish and modern. I love the service there too, especially the breakfast, the way in which guests are treated and the courtyard view. Both are in the same neighborhood, but I prefer the Vendome's local more
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me
I've stayed at both hotels (as ambassador and as a diamond) and liked them both differently. The grand it's like staying in a Louis the 14th palace. As you walk in the hallways, there are great works of art, replicas of course, but still. Everything is ornate. As an ambassador, you are offered to upgrade to the club lounge for €100 a stay. It is worth it on a three or four day stay, especially if you're with someone: the lounge is just terrific: great food, drinks, service. The Vendome, on the other hand, is more stylish and modern. I love the service there too, especially the breakfast, the way in which guests are treated and the courtyard view. Both are in the same neighborhood, but I prefer the Vendome's local more
Are you comparing with IC le Grand? This post is not very clear.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by SPLP007
I am sure everything you say is correct , but--- when I am a guest, I want a good room for myself etc , it does not make me want to stay in a hotel that evertything is perfect "EXCEPT" my room -- what andysiz above reported is not what you expect from a fine hotel --yes things happen and it is how it is handled that will matter in the end
Agreed. I think if one or two things were off, I wouldn't care at all. I understand things happen. Things break. Light bulbs go bad. Maybe a housekeeping staff member is having a bad day. It was the confluence of so many problems that bothered me. Details matter, especially at a fine (even if not THE highest end) hotel. Today, I almost missed a restaurant re-confirmation because the notice was sent to the wrong room (my parents' room). Luckily, I saw my parents before leaving the hotel, and was able to catch the re-confirm with the concierge.

Today, I decided to meet in-person with the director of rooms, per his offer to do so. He was quite professional and understanding, expressing sincere apologies as well as the detailed steps he has taken in response to complaints raised by me. In the end, I was satisfied with our conversation, and ultimately he offered (and after I declined, insisted) that I bring my family down to the hotel restaurant for aperitifs before I leave for my dinner reservation.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Attached is my review of the Park Hyatt Vendôme on a recent trip to Paris. Truly a great and memorable stay, well worth it for anyone visiting Paris (and especially those with Hyatt Gold Passport points). Review with proper formatting and more pictures can be found here: Weekend Blitz - Park Hyatt Paris Vendôme Hotel Review – Paris, France. Hope some find it useful!

------------------------------------------------

On a recent visit to Paris, we wanted to splurge for a night and found some pretty superb value in using Hyatt points. Because I had no hotel points, I knew I wanted to transfer points from either Chase or AMEX-- check this guide on the best value hotel in Paris using points in either of those programs: Paris, France: Best Hotels for Free Using Points. This was my first time transferring Chase Ultimate Rewards points to a hotel partner and, in fact, my first ever stay at a Hyatt.

Booking/Check-in

We booked about 2 months out for 22,000 Hyatt Gold Passport Points transferred from Chase at a 1:1 ratio. Since then, however, this property has gone up to 30k points/night, but it's generally still an awesome value. At the time of my booking, rates were near 850€ (or ~$1,111) for a "Park Queen" room, so we squeezed a return of ~5 cents/Chase point ($1,111 ÷ 22k)-- a pretty amazing return. That being said, I would have never forked over $1,000+ for a 1-night stay in a Parisian hotel but, with it being a special occasion, I was quite happy with the booking.

At the time of booking, I checked "Honeymoon Couple" under the additional requests area. I was pretty sure it wasn't going to get us anywhere but, hey, it's worth a shot.

Another thing I tried on this booking was the "eStandby Upgrade® program" that Hyatt (and Marriott + others?) participate in. I've seen it a few times but always thought it to be gimmicky and never tried it. The minimum room upgrade offered was to a "Park Deluxe King" for 50 € (~$69), nothing that really interested me. I did, however, impulsively click on the "Complimentary mini-bar" option for 25 € / night. I got an email about a week out: "We are sorry, but we are unable to confirm your eStandby Upgrade® for your arrival date." No big deal.

Given the past 2 things, we were pleasantly surprised at check-in when they delivered three great pieces of news: we had been upgraded from a "Park Queen" to a "Park Deluxe King," the eStandby minibar request had been confirmed and, because it was our first time at the property, we'd be given free breakfast (more details to follow). It's worth stating again that all of this was without having any status with Hyatt (just "member" status in the Gold Passport program).
  • Park Queen/Twin - 26 to 30-sq-meters - BOOKED
  • Park Deluxe King/Queen/Twin - 30 to 40-sq-meters - UPGRADED TO
  • Park Suite King/Twin - 40-50-sq-metres
  • Park Executive Suite - 50-60-sq-metre
  • Diplomatic Suite - 100-sq-metre
  • Residence Suite - 100-sq-metre
  • Ambassador Suite - 110-sq-metre
  • Vendôme Suite - 220-sq-metre
  • Presidential Suite - 210-sq-metre
  • Imperial Suite - 230-sq-metre

The Room

From here, we were led up to our room by the check-in agent and given a tour of all of the amenities (don't you love hotel rooms that require a "tour" of all of the features?). The bellman followed a few minutes after with our luggage.

So, the rooms are pretty awesome, especially with the knowledge that it was free. If the Park Hyatt Vendôme were said to have a theme, that theme would be gold. Most of these pictures had the flash on, which way overstates the brightness of the rooms and the property in general. Everything is very low lighting and the gold carpet, trim and dark wood spread all about tended to soak up what light was present. I wouldn't say it was dark, but more elegant and stately.

For better or worse, our room overlooked the courtyard:

View from the room, overlooking the courtyard

All rooms also have complimentary Nespresso, tea and Evian water. All empty Nespresso pods were gone and water refilled during turndown service and we were given extra water bottles.

Free Nespresso pods? Why are you so good to me, France?

We also had the largest closet any room this size has ever been graced with having:

Thanks for the drawers, but we're "......' on a budget" and won't be unpacking here for our 1-night stay

eStandby Free Minibar option

As I mentioned above, I wanted to try an eStandby option on this booking. Not so much because I wanted something they were offering, but more for the novelty of trying the program, I clicked the "Complimentary mini-bar" option for 25 € / night. It entailed...

Complimentary water, juices, beer and wine. Everything but the food and liquor. Considering a beer will run you 7€+ in a large city like Paris, this isn't a terrible deal at all for 25 €.

The Bathroom

Just like the room, the bathroom is not spared any awesomeness.

Lobby/Bars/Restaurants/Room-service

We checked in pretty early in the morning, dropped our things and left for the day. When we returned late in the afternoon, we found a bottle of champagne on ice and a note, congratulations and happy honeymoon! This was a pleasant surprise and really the only "interaction" I had with "room service."

Breakfast at Les Orchidées

In reading reviews about the property, I had heard that the breakfast was first class but also enormously expensive-- a 44€ charge per person (or ~$122 for the 2 of us) for the buffet. That is impossible to justify. In addition to the rave reviews online, I had also read that people have had success in emailing the property that it is their first time staying at the PH Vendôme and often times would be offered complimentary breakfast. I didn't bother with this but instead hoped the "Honeymoon" status might get us somewhere. Sure enough, when checking in, the agent offered us the breakfast buffet compliments of the hotel. They thanked me for being a Hyatt Gold Passport member and said that, because it was my first time visiting, they wanted to extend the offer of free breakfast at Les Orchidées. I was somewhat surprised. I know that it is standard for Hyatt Diamond members to get complimentary breakfast and maybe it would be extended to Hyatt Platinum members, but this was my first ever stay at a Hyatt and I had no status, just a Gold Passport account that I had opened a few weeks before so that I could transfer points and make the award booking.

Enjoy a blurry picture of the buffet area; this is far from doing it justice

Service

Again, the service was superb. From the bellman to the front desk agent and onward to the wait staff at the restaurant, the Park Hyatt Vendôme provided 5 star service at every turn. Everyone showed superior attention to detail. I guess when the typical guest is paying $1000+ USD/night, this should be expected.

BOTTOM LINE: The Park Hyatt Vendôme remains the best value in points of any major chain in Paris. Couple this with a great location, world class service and quality and I can't imagine staying anywhere else on a visit to Paris (especially on points).
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:58 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

jmgriffin - nice review. However, I have a question for you - you mentioned several times in the review that you have no status with Hyatt but your profile area indicates you are a Diamond. Is the review from sometime ago? I'm asking for clarification since what you got is the standard for Diamonds (upgrade to Park Deluxe and breakfast). Also, the free breakfast for first time guests were from quite a while ago - no longer offerred.

By the way, this review is the model for posting enough information on FT with a link to an external blog that is more extensive.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by peteropny
jmgriffin - nice review. However, I have a question for you - you mentioned several times in the review that you have no status with Hyatt but your profile area indicates you are a Diamond. Is the review from sometime ago? I'm asking for clarification since what you got is the standard for Diamonds (upgrade to Park Deluxe and breakfast). Also, the free breakfast for first time guests were from quite a while ago - no longer offerred..
Thanks and sorry for the confusion! This stay at the PH Vendome was a few months ago, in 2013. At the time of the stay I had no status with Hyatt at all but I now have Diamond status.

Originally Posted by peteropny
By the way, this review is the model for posting enough information on FT with a link to an external blog that is more extensive.
Thanks! It's always a fine line to walk between being accused of "spamming" and trying to provide an external link to supporting content. I always try to post the content in it's entirety on FT so that people can get all of the info they want without following the link, but provide the link if they're interested in more info. Hopefully it's not too "spammy" feeling
Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, ICG Platinum Royal Ambassador, Avis President's Club
This is our first stay at the Vendome. Beautiful hotel. My wife and I unfortunately both were recently dropped down to platinum. We are staying in a suite on points. The room was not ready on check in and the wait proved much longer than they thought. It was nearly 7PM before we received our suite. They offered complimentary coffee, tea, etc. in the louinge. Generally should one expect more in such a situation in this hotel? In addition I left my iPad accidentally on at night and came back to find that the "client" was seeking access to my contact list. Has anyone experienced security issues with the hotel's wireless system? Thanks.

Last edited by point bonita lighthouse; Apr 15, 2014 at 6:03 am Reason: Additional point
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by point bonita lighthouse
This is our first stay at the Vendome. Beautiful hotel. My wife and I unfortunately both were recently dropped down to platinum. We are staying in a suite on points. The room was not ready on check in and the wait proved much longer than they thought. It was nearly 7PM before we received our suite. They offered complimentary coffee, tea, etc. in the louinge. Generally should one expect more in such a situation in this hotel? We of course miss the breakfast benefit and noted jmgriffin's post above have other first time attendees--have others recently received a similar benefit? Thanks
Most posters have generally been reporting no free breakfast for 1st stay over the past year. The above poster's experience with that may have been an anomaly, or maybe because they checked "honeymoon" and were only staying one night.

But I would definitely expect much more compensation for a 4-hr delay in check-in (the hotel's specified check-in time is 3 PM). Some of the "compensation experts" here will hopefully be able to give you specific advice. I would think something like free breakfast for the length of stay, or maybe one free dinner, or return of one-half of the points for that first night.

I would ask to speak to the GM and say that I was not happy with the 4-hr delay and ask if they planned to compensate for it in some way and leave it to them to offer something.

Complimentary coffee/tea is something you get for a 30-min wait, not for 4 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.