Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

OK to book handicapped accessible room if able-bodied? Elite upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OK to book handicapped accessible room if able-bodied? Elite upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Has anybody ever booked an accessible room because it was cheaper?

Has any of you booked an accessible room because it was cheaper than the normal offerings? Like a regular king room isn't available on points, but accessible is available on points. How do you feel about it? Did you try changing it to a non accessible room at check in?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Yes--For a work trip, the only "in policy" rate was an accessible room via our corporate booking (Hilton Americas Houston).

I booked it and when I got to the hotel, told them I didn't need it to be accessible and asked to be on the executive floor. Wasn't a problem.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:40 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by hiima
Has any of you booked an accessible room because it was cheaper than the normal offerings? Like a regular king room isn't available on points, but accessible is available on points. How do you feel about it? Did you try changing it to a non accessible room at check in?
Oft reported HH search can shows returned list of a hotel with room at standard nnnnn points, but when selecting hotel from list of hotels, no standard rewards are shown, and you need tick show accssible rooms.

As an elite and due for an upgrade, if hotel is not aware you do not need that acessible room type, you'll often miss out on your HHD/HHG upgrade so always say as such in additional info when making the reservation.
Some HH hotels also have Exec Accessible room(s), but not all do.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:48 pm

I would only do it if you are 100% okay with staying in an accessible room. But, as someone that worked in hotels for over a decade, I don't see this as a problem. I've done it myself. A simple notation in the reservation is all that's necessary. This is a response I gave in a similar thread on the SPG forum:

"In the 11+ years I worked in hotels, there was only one single night we ever needed all of our accessible rooms. Once in over 4,000 nights."

Link to that thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...i-reserve.html
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I booked one once because it was the only room type with a sofa (other than the more expensive suites). Since I was traveling with other people, we wanted a sitting area to hang out. I felt a bit unethical booking it, but it was the only room that met our needs. Plus we booked it last minute, so I doubt anyone was inconvenienced. If ever faced with this in the future, I will be sure to take the FT advice and add a note about being willing to move if someone needs the accessibility features.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Executive Platinum
I've done so when it was the cheapest room available and made the notation that I don't need it to be accessible.

I've been given accessible rooms when I have NOT booked that room type, so I don't feel an obligation to refrain from booking that room type when it is less expensive.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
With fair regularity. One time it was the difference between being able to use points at the Conrad HK and not. I always put in the notes section that I don't need the accessible features though.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Headed down to Hollywood Monday. Booked the HGI. Only rooms available on my corporate booking site were mobility rooms. Booked it and as soon as it was confirmed called the hotel to say that was all I could book but don't need those features and asked if they would put a note in. Got the email to check in today and using the app to look I have lots of choices of rooms and none are mobility rooms. So the phone call worked. They already pre-assigned me a good room on the top floor away from the elevator ( my usual request ) so did not early checkin today for arriving tomorrow.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 4:24 pm

I have done it. Then, I call the hotel and tell them that I really don't need it and they can move me to a regular room. That way, I am not using it if someone else really needs it.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 2:50 am

Although this is a bit obvious, you shouldn't book a room type that will leave you unhappy. As I noted earlier, there are almost always more accessible rooms than necessary on most nights. On sold out nights, those rooms get used. If you book one on a busy night, you'll likely stay in one.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:09 am

Programs: QF Gold
Accessible room is 15% cheaper, ok to book?

Anyone know why the accessible room would be 15% cheaper?

I'm guessing they are out of other "standard" rooms.

Would you consider OK to book anyway and email the hotel?

- David

treppenlaeufer likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:42 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
I wouldn't have any issue booking this - there is nothing I can see which prevents this.

I booked one by mistake previously through my corporate booking site - no issue at all.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
I see no issue. In those cases I always make sure to add a note (or send parallel email to hotel) that an accessible room was not required.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by treppenlaeufer
I see no issue. In those cases I always make sure to add a note (or send parallel email to hotel) that an accessible room was not required.
this. It usually doesn’t get changed before checkin but they've always moved me when I’ve asked.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:06 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Delta Tupperware Medallion, National EE
I've actually had an HGI move me into an accessible room (even though I'm able bodied), because it was much larger and I was going to be there for 8 weeks. The clerk stated that they have never needed all of the accessible rooms at one time since opening. I wouldn't hesitate to reserve it, but as others have said, I'd include a note saying that I really didnt need it.
jamesteroh and writerguyfl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.