Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Garden Inn Hong Kong Mongkok {HKG}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Garden Inn Hong Kong Mongkok {HKG}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
650 is HIX next door base price

Price is not that cheap for Mong Kok - especially if you know how to book using Chinese booking sites. March is also usually a cheap month in HK.

That said the HIX is hopefully not the standard the HGI will replicate. LOL.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 2:44 pm
jxd

I'll be there in January, hopefully it'll be open by then.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by jxd
I'll be there in January, hopefully it'll be open by then.
Website now says accepting reservations for arrivals for March 1, 2017 and beyond.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:27 pm
jxd

Originally Posted by ibdsux
Website now says accepting reservations for arrivals for March 1, 2017 and beyond.
I know, I'm just hoping that I might get lucky and the hotel opens in December (which was previously said on the website).
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, OZ Dia, HH Dia, SPG Plat25, MR Plat, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Looking for a stay here over the Christmas period too.. fingers crossed for December
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:53 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by Modo
Price is not that cheap for Mong Kok - especially if you know how to book using Chinese booking sites. March is also usually a cheap month in HK.

That said the HIX is hopefully not the standard the HGI will replicate. LOL.
But I looked not only at March also Apr, May, Sep, Okt, Nov - no fluctuation of price at all (yet).
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by helosc
But I looked not only at March also Apr, May, Sep, Okt, Nov - no fluctuation of price at all (yet).
That's probably a glitch. Tried booking and it won't let me push it through.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:58 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by jxd
I know, I'm just hoping that I might get lucky and the hotel opens in December (which was previously said on the website).
If the site is indicating March 17 instead of the previous Dec 16 then IMO you will be holding your breath for a long time hoping for December. Projects generally get pushed back, not moved forward. And in this case the delay is already "confirmed".
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:23 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Here's how the hotel looks like, from the outside:

Old Oct 7, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond
Hi,

My wife and I (age - 30s) are planning a vacation to South-East Asia (Singapore & HKG), which will be our first time there. The HKG trip will be for 5 nights towards the end of March 2017. I'm a Hilton Diamond member and wanted to use my HHonnors points.

I'm tempted between Hilton Conrad HKG (80K x 4= 320K points, 5th night free) or the new Hilton Garden Inn Kowloon (27K x 5 = 135K points, for some reason 5th night isn't free!?). If I go with the HGI Kowloon, I can use the saved points for my prior trip to Singapore (or else will have to book and pay regularly).

As I said, I've never been to HKG and I'm not familiar with the areas and city. For the most, we will be spending our time visiting tourist areas, and also include Macau (same-day trip).

I know part of it is based on personal preferences, but what would you recommend? Is it worth spending extra points and book HKG Conrad, vs saving points and booking HGI Kowloon? Is transportation/location an issue?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Old Oct 7, 2016, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ttyl
I know part of it is based on personal preferences, but what would you recommend? Is it worth spending extra points and book HKG Conrad, vs saving points and booking HGI Kowloon? Is transportation/location an issue?
It really depends on your preferences, but I would go with Conrad. It's an excellent hotel and the location is quite convenient to many of the things you'll want to do/see (such as Victoria Peak and Hong Kong Park, as well as neighborhoods such as SoHo/midlevels and LKF). As a Diamond, you'll receive outstanding service and be upgraded to a harbour view room.

HGI's Mongkok location is interesting, but much less central from a tourist's perspective. The views will not compare.

My personal advice also is that you skip the day trip to Macau. It's a long trip, you have to clear immigration in both directions which is a total hassle, and I personally found Macau to be a pit. As opposed to HK, which is one of the world's great cities and endlessly fascinating.

Last edited by Kacee; Oct 7, 2016 at 9:59 am
Old Oct 7, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
It really depends on your preferences, but I would go with Conrad
+1. The NYC analogy I would use is a midtown hotel with views vs being out in Queens.

Conrad lounge access as Diamond is icing on the cake.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 5:43 pm
jxd

Originally Posted by ttyl
Hi,

My wife and I (age - 30s) are planning a vacation to South-East Asia (Singapore & HKG), which will be our first time there. The HKG trip will be for 5 nights towards the end of March 2017. I'm a Hilton Diamond member and wanted to use my HHonnors points.

I'm tempted between Hilton Conrad HKG (80K x 4= 320K points, 5th night free) or the new Hilton Garden Inn Kowloon (27K x 5 = 135K points, for some reason 5th night isn't free!?). If I go with the HGI Kowloon, I can use the saved points for my prior trip to Singapore (or else will have to book and pay regularly).

As I said, I've never been to HKG and I'm not familiar with the areas and city. For the most, we will be spending our time visiting tourist areas, and also include Macau (same-day trip).

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
I can't comment about these 2 properties points vs cash wise, but if the rates at the hgi are that low at 600hkd/n, the hgi would be a no brainer imo.

If you're talking about cash vs cash, the conrad is easily 3 or 4x the price of the hgi.

If you have the points to spare, then by all means save the few hundred dollars and stay at the conrad. However it would be more wise to spend it on exotic destinations such as the conrad koh samui or Maldives where the rates are substantially higher.

Of course if you have lots of points to spare, and you're looking for luxury, the conrad will tick all your boxes. However, if you're not too picky, the hgi will do just fine. It's a new property and even has a rooftop pool.

Public transport is good in HK, so it shouldn't be much of a problem in both the conrad or hgi.

There's so much to eat in Hong Kong that you won't be needing the lounge that much either
Old Oct 7, 2016, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
It really depends on your preferences, but I would go with Conrad. It's an excellent hotel and the location is quite convenient to many of the things you'll want to do/see (such as Vdictoria Peak and Hong Kong Park, as well as neighborhoods such as SoHo/midlevels and LKF). As a Diamond, you'll receive outstanding service and be upgraded to a harbour view room.

HGI's Mongkok location is interesting, but much less central from a tourist's perspective. The views will not compare.

My personal advice also is that you skip the day trip to Macau. It's a long trip, you have to clear immigration in both directions which is a total hassle, and I personally found Macau to be a pit. As opposed to HK, which is one of the world's great cities and endlessly fascinating.
I completely agree with all points in this post. For a first timer the Conrad is terrific location for tourist sites, restaurants and the like. You have a beautiful park right at your doorstep, and a hidden gem the asia society right up the street. You dont have to go outside to get the subway and you have a shuttle from airport express to the notel. The service is excellent and wI'll add to your overall experience. Stayed at least 25 times and never had a bad experience

Macau.. didn't go until we had been to HK many times, and expensive to get there, time consuming and a real poor cousin to HK ..I'd definitely skip it first time out.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
5 nights in HKG is too much (even at the terrific Conrad); 3 nights will do it. There are not that many sights to visit or things to do in Hong Kong. Better spend your time elsewhere in Asia.

Skip Macau.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.