Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to Surpass Honors AmEx: Earn 50,000+ bonus points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade to Surpass Honors AmEx: Earn 50,000+ bonus points

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SW Companion
Take it for what it's worth but I was told by an AMEX representative that "voice consent" was needed in order to receive the bonus if you did not receive the targeted offer to upgrade. He looked at my account and saw offer for 100K and stated that I should call to request upgrade in order to get bonus. (I've upgraded once in the past from no fee to surpass)
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by George M
I currently have a Surpass, which I've met the spend on and received the bonus points, but it's only been open for about a month.

I will finish the spend on my NF Amex, which I just received last week, in the next few weeks.

When should I cancel my Surpass to start the clock on my upgrade window for my NF Amex? Is there a minimum time I should keep it open to stay off of their radar?
I believe the proper answer is to keep both cards, downgrading the Surpass to the NF card after 12 months when its AF posts. Then look for upgrades to Surpass on your older NF card. You can alternate between the two.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG, IHG, AA, SWA
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I believe the proper answer is to keep both cards, downgrading the Surpass to the NF card after 12 months when its AF posts. Then look for upgrades to Surpass on your older NF card. You can alternate between the two.
Thank you, appreciate the advice.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:36 pm

I just upgraded my free HH card (and my mom's and my dad's) to Surpass using the link I found here:
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/100000...time-language/

It seems the 3 of us were targeted for 100K HH for spending $3K. None of us has had the Surpass card before. Like the blog says, it doesn't show the 100K HH on the main upgrade page, but it's in the terms when I clicked on them. Anybody else doing this? I haven't gotten the new cards yet.
Old May 4, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Sorry for the dumb question, and I'm fairly sure I know the answer already, but wanted another data point to confirm. I upgraded my no-fee Hilton Amex to the Surpass a few days ago.Since the card number does not change, I can put spend on my current no-fee card until the new one arrives, and that spend would count towards the $3k minimum spend, correct?
Old May 4, 2017, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Sorry for the dumb question, and I'm fairly sure I know the answer already, but wanted another data point to confirm. I upgraded my no-fee Hilton Amex to the Surpass a few days ago.Since the card number does not change, I can put spend on my current no-fee card until the new one arrives, and that spend would count towards the $3k minimum spend, correct?
Yes, exactly right. As long as your upgrade was approved, your account number should not have changed and you can spend on the no-fee physical card until your surpass card arrives. The post approval spend on the physical no-fee card will count toward the spend minimums. I just did this last month and the 100,000 bonus posted two days after my statement date & regular statement spend bonus posted.
Old May 5, 2017, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I just upgraded my free HH card (and my mom's and my dad's) to Surpass using the link I found here:
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/100000...time-language/

It seems the 3 of us were targeted for 100K HH for spending $3K. None of us has had the Surpass card before. Like the blog says, it doesn't show the 100K HH on the main upgrade page, but it's in the terms when I clicked on them. Anybody else doing this? I haven't gotten the new cards yet.
Thanks! That link was dead for me but I just used search on doctor of credit and quickly found it. I was able to upgrade. I took a screenshot/PDF of the terms just in case.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Already have no AF card & Surpass

I've had the no AF Citi Hilton card for a number of years. 12 moths ago I got the Surpass w/100K offer. I'm planning on doing a PC to another no AF Hilton card, which will leave me with 2 of them. Should I cancel the old no AF card before doing the PC or will it matter?

Last edited by philemer; May 17, 2017 at 9:56 am
Old May 25, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I downgraded from a Surpass to the No Fee about a week ago, and I'm already targeted again for a 100K upgrade back to the Surpass. How is that even possible? Any chance Amex won't catch that immediately and deny me the bonus points?
Old May 25, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by mpeterson78
I downgraded from a Surpass to the No Fee about a week ago, and I'm already targeted again for a 100K upgrade back to the Surpass. How is that even possible? Any chance Amex won't catch that immediately and deny me the bonus points?
It probably depends on how long ago you upgraded to or opened the Surpass previously?
Old May 25, 2017, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by philemer
I've had the no AF Citi Hilton card for a number of years. 12 moths ago I got the Surpass w/100K offer. I'm planning on doing a PC to another no AF Hilton card, which will leave me with 2 of them. Should I cancel the old no AF card before doing the PC or will it matter?
I called today & PC the Surpass to the no AF Hilton. Now I have 2 no AF cards.
It will be interesting to see what kind of upgrade offers I will get, if any.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
It probably depends on how long ago you upgraded to or opened the Surpass previously?
I had the card as a Surpass for about a year before I downgraded.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Moorea
Thanks! That link was dead for me but I just used search on doctor of credit and quickly found it. I was able to upgrade. I took a screenshot/PDF of the terms just in case.
Seems pretty risky to me. AMEX likely neglected to remove the clause from the T&C's, good chance they will refuse to honor it.

Any experience - positive or negative?
Old May 27, 2017, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by diver858
Seems pretty risky to me. AMEX likely neglected to remove the clause from the T&C's, good chance they will refuse to honor it.

Any experience - positive or negative?
Risky..what's the downside? I don't get the points? That doesn't seem like a huge risk. Also, like I said I saved the T&Cs and it doesn't mention the clause. I should know in the next few weeks if it worked.
Old May 27, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Moorea
Risky..what's the downside? I don't get the points? That doesn't seem like a huge risk. Also, like I said I saved the T&Cs and it doesn't mention the clause. I should know in the next few weeks if it worked.
As I understand it, AMEX offers a once per lifetime signup bonus for each card, burning your Surpass now suggests no targeted offer, believe it is better to wait for a sure thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.