Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

OK to book handicapped accessible room if able-bodied? Elite upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OK to book handicapped accessible room if able-bodied? Elite upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by craz
Maybe Hotels should also have to have beds that are extra long so that Tall people can get a reg nights sleep. and dont forget the Showers where the nozzle is usually very low for a tall person.
Dude, circulate the petition now! I'll sign it!! 7-ft long King beds in every room!! ^
Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
1) I understand the reason that each Hotel has these type of rooms. But I dont believe that any 1 person has a right to stay at any particuliar Hotel. If there was but 1 Hotel in any locale thatwould be different. So a person wants to stay at a Hilton prop to earn HH pts and credits, thats fine but there is no reason that this should be a gaurantee. Even a reg person cant be 100% sure that they can get a room at any Hotel anytime.

2) want to make it a law OK, so who will pay the Hotel if the room goes empty overnight and they could have filled it? Its Wrong to make any Hotel lose a nights earnings , just in case there is a walk-in that needs such a room.

3) Its not the same as a parking lot. Except if its a lot that charges for parking that is Private. Where its a mall lot there is no lack of earnings with the free parking, if no one occupies that space.

4) Maybe Hotels should also have to have beds that are extra long so that Tall people can get a reg nights sleep. and dont forget the Showers where the nozzle is usually very low for a tall person. I know its not the same as someone who has REAL SPECIAL NEEDS. Its just how much should Private Enterprise have to pay out of its own pockets. Should Airlines have to leave extra room or have extra wide seats and no seats in front in order to enable people with NEEDS to fly in coach, why should a person with needs have to buy a 1st class tkt instead of a coach tkt. etc etc

Both of my parents are people with Special Needs and I feel that no particuliar Hotel should ahve to guarantee them a room, yes it should have said rooms but No my parents should not be guaranteed a room there. Just as when the cheap seats are gone a person can decide to either pay more or fly on a different day. Should a non-smoker be able to sit in a smoking area, after all they will taking away the possibilty of a smoker from being able to eat or drink in that Place.

Sorry but I see nothing wrong with anyone occupying an accessible room, nor should it be against the law either, like that will be able to be enforced. Nor do I see it as Morally Wrong. And yes Ive parked in spots far from where I needed to be cause the only ones available were Handi_Capped ones and the Plates on the car are Handi-Capped Plates but neither of my parents were with me, so I see the plates then as if they were reg plates and I do NOT park in those spots.
There IS a law (actually many laws) that says a property must be accessible to those with special needs. The problem is the hotel is meeting the law by having the space set aside but selling it at a discount if they do not have any special needs folks in the hotel on a given date. The problem with that is of course, what happens when someone who needs the room comes in after the room is committed to someone who does not need it? That is the spirit of this string. This has more to do with what one should do rather than what one has to do. The hotel should at the very least sell that room for the same $$ and make that the LAST room for the hotel to sell. By discounting it they are insuring that the opposite happens.

Don't get me wrong, I know what you are saying and I would not expect anyone to NOT use the bathroom if the only stall open is the handicapped one. But on the other hand I would hope that if other stalls were open MOST people would not use it in case someone who needs it comes in.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
Dude, circulate the petition now! I'll sign it!! 7-ft long King beds in every room!! ^

I am nearsighted so 60" plasmas are a must too
Old Aug 30, 2006, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by avidflyer
There IS a law (actually many laws) that says a property must be accessible to those with special needs. The problem is the hotel is meeting the law by having the space set aside but selling it at a discount if they do not have any special needs folks in the hotel on a given date. The problem with that is of course, what happens when someone who needs the room comes in after the room is committed to someone who does not need it? That is the spirit of this string. This has more to do with what one should do rather than what one has to do. The hotel should at the very least sell that room for the same $$ and make that the LAST room for the hotel to sell. By discounting it they are insuring that the opposite happens.

Don't get me wrong, I know what you are saying and I would not expect anyone to NOT use the bathroom if the only stall open is the handicapped one. But on the other hand I would hope that if other stalls were open MOST people would not use it in case someone who needs it comes in.

That is really the answer that Hotels shouldnt discount the price of the room from any other of the same type. Thusly it will end up being the last ones to be taken, unless all that are left are more expensive rooms due to type of bedding, suite, Club/Exec floor. Everything wont be perfect, nor should a Hotel be forced to raise the rate on that room if its the only one available among its type, so that it will constantly have other rooms same in price although a higher class room. But a Hotel shouldnt from get go discount that room either.

As for Handi-cap stalls, did you ever try and get into a reg stall with your roller-board and then try to close the door? This could have made for a good Seinfeld episode.

Maybe there should also be a law against anyone who has to go #1 from using a stall. Sorry when it comes to stalls its simply 1st there gets 1st choice.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 1:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
The "right thing" refers to your refusal to give the room up to someone who needed it even after an upgrade at the same price was offered. I was pointing out that no matter what YOU did (or did not) do, the result would be exactly the same because the property will not let those rooms go un-occupied.
avidflyer, go read toomanybooks original post again.
If you read that again, you will see all they were doing was asking questions.

In some folks rush to judgement they have mistakenly mis-identified who has done what... please quit accusing people who have not done anything other then ask some questions of wrong doing.

Those who have done wrong, well you can flay and roast them alive, I guess.

Edited to add:
I was getting tired of some people accusing toomanybooks of not giving up their room, so jumped to the end and posted.
In reading to the end of the thread now, I am leaving the above only because there was no "my bad", just a "100% agree".

Last edited by infinityplusone; Aug 30, 2006 at 2:20 pm Reason: Read to the end of the thread...
Old Aug 30, 2006, 2:38 pm

NYC Hilton

And I read this thread because I recently had a accessible room booked for me. It was booked because it was the only room available at the corp rate that our company could get. The next rate level up, was about $110 more a night.

I had requested before arriving an upgrade or even a move to a non accessible room. I was told I would have to speak with the hotel when checking in.

I did and was told that they were full and could not move me for the next two nights but I could check back in with them on my 3rd (and final night) to see if they have any availability. I told them that if they needed the room I did not require the accessability so to call me if they did need it. Never heard from them so assume they did not need it.

Regarding the room itself, larger bathroom and walk-in shower... which I actually liked. There was a doorbell, that rang so loud that it made me jump when room service rang it.

There was also what appeared to be two fire alarms but now after reading this thread realize that one was hooked up to the doorbell. There was a light switch that I thought was broken or at least I thought it was an extra one as I could not figure out what it did. I now realize that when switched on it would light up, what I had thought was, the 2nd fire alarm to indicate someone was at the door.

This was the first time I have seen an accessible room that was cheaper then a regular room.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 2:40 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Utterly different situations.

There are laws against using a handicapped parking space if you aren't entitled, and you will be fined and/or towed if caught.

I know there aren't laws against me occupying a handicapped room, as I have been placed in them by hotel managements, most recently two weeks ago at Disney.
One of my business partners prefers the "car wash" showers in the handicapped rooms and books them whenever possible. They also tend to be closer ot the elevators at some properties. He is clearly able and no oe has ever said a thing.

--PP
Old Aug 30, 2006, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by infinityplusone
avidflyer, go read toomanybooks original post again.
If you read that again, you will see all they were doing was asking questions.

In some folks rush to judgement they have mistakenly mis-identified who has done what... please quit accusing people who have not done anything other then ask some questions of wrong doing.

Those who have done wrong, well you can flay and roast them alive, I guess.

Edited to add:
I was getting tired of some people accusing toomanybooks of not giving up their room, so jumped to the end and posted.
In reading to the end of the thread now, I am leaving the above only because there was no "my bad", just a "100% agree".
"but was told under no circumstances would The Hotel give me areg room at that rate. Now that The Hotel can use my room , you want to move me, Now I dont want to be moved."

My bad, it was post number 2 not the OP. Please replace "OP" with "post 2" for all of my comments. My appologies to the real OP, my comments were not directed at you. BTW, if you really read my post you will se that I was actually defending "post #2" except for the part about not giving up the room just to prove a point. As I said, this is a subject that hits home and all of my points are about the way the accesible rooms are discounted. I do see it often, and usually with Hampton Inn.

Please find the quote where I am roasting anyone alive INCLUDING post # 2. If you consider my responses "attacks" then you have not read them.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by MeNoSay
If, however, you book an accessible room at a cheap rate, and are unsuccessful in demands to a different room, you should be willing to move at a later date (in essence, getting your way) when a person who actually needs the room shows up. Just my opinion.
I agree, as long as the analogy is not extended to handicap stalls in the bathroom. I'm not leaving there until I've finished what I started.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Maybe there should also be a law against anyone who has to go #1 from using a stall. Sorry when it comes to stalls its simply 1st there gets 1st choice.
LOL, let's not forget that some of us are female...
Old Aug 30, 2006, 4:41 pm
Suspended

"but was told under no circumstances would The Hotel give me areg room at that rate. Now that The Hotel can use my room , you want to move me, Now I dont want to be moved."

My bad, it was post number 2 not the OP. Please replace "OP" with "post 2" for all of my comments. My appologies to the real OP, my comments were not directed at you. BTW, if you really read my post you will se that I was actually defending "post #2" except for the part about not giving up the room just to prove a point. As I said, this is a subject that hits home and all of my points are about the way the accesible rooms are discounted. I do see it often, and usually with Hampton Inn.

Please find the quote where I am roasting anyone alive INCLUDING post # 2. If you consider my responses "attacks" then you have not read them.
As being the owner of Post#2 and also as I posted just above, with Parents who are both of Special Needs. Let me just add that if at any time that Hotel had told me that they would move me to a reg room, since the room I had was the last Accessible Room left in the area that wasnt gonna be occupied by someone who especially needs such a room, I would have switched. But all it was was a case if that Hotel would be able to sell another room, or would that party stay at another Hotel nearby. Yes in my pettiness I decide to let that party stay elsewhere and thusly deny that Hotel an extra room being sold for that night. FWIW when I stayed there another time and booked the same Accessible Room, they had no problems moving me then and there which was 3 weeks before the actual stay, for that stay it was an Upgrade to a larger room with a Fridge etc as that was all that was left for that night. I called and offered them the room right then and there and also told them if they have a cancellation of a reg room that I would have no problems with them downgrading from the room that assigned me at that time.

The fact that someone of SN wanted to stay with them and couldnt , I didnt and still dont find as a compelling reason to vacate said room after I was denied the same by the Hotel to begin with. Sorry, many will disagree with me thats OK. (Keep in mind that within a block of that Hotel were/are appx another 6 Hotels but that was the only Hilton prop anywhere nearby).

Last edited by craz; Aug 30, 2006 at 4:53 pm
Old Aug 30, 2006, 7:32 pm

[B]If you consider my responses "attacks" then you have not read them.
Re-read my post, I never used the word "attacks", I said you "accused"... which is different. But it is all good, toomanybooks is no longer the bad guy/girl. My mission is complete.

Last edited by infinityplusone; Aug 30, 2006 at 7:44 pm
Old Aug 31, 2006, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kuroneko
To be fair to the OP, he wasn't the one who refused to give up the room to someone who needed it after an upgrade was offered. Please read post #2.
Well, we have at least a couple people who can read (Thanks, too, "infinity"). Thanks.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Aug 31, 2006 at 6:53 am
Old May 28, 2007, 4:11 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

The only choice I had recently at a certain Hilton HHonors property was to select a smoking room for disabled people whose rate was a minimum of US$50.00 per night less than the other rooms.

I selected it.

Fortunately, I was able to switch that room at the last minute at check-in for a non-smoking room not reserved for disabled people, although I almost was unable to do so due to the property claiming to be sold out and full.

I explained my situation to Katja in person. We both felt that this absurd policy of charging significantly less for a room reserved for disabled people was absolutely ridiculous.
Old May 28, 2007, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by flyinbob
YIKES! Chill, bud. He hardly "screwed over" anyone. He just reserved a room that happens to be accessible, usually at Hilton meaning a few design changes in the bathroom. Doesn't mean he'll get it. More of a reserving of the RATE, not the room.

Did we forget to take our meds today?
No, he screwed over someone who needs that room. People need high toilets, lights instead of alarms etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.