Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Helsinki Strand {FIN}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:55 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
That's good news. I'm planning to go again later this year - have always enjoyed staying here
Old Oct 18, 2011, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Had a two night reward stay earlier this month. Overall I was quite satisfied. We went straight to the hotel after arriving HEL at 8:00 am, had no trouble getting our room early, and were able to visit the lounge at that time for a nice breakfast. We got a room on the exec floor just down the hall from the lounge, with bottled water, welcome chocolates, and a nice view of the river. We had breakfast in the restaurant after our first night, and in the lounge the next day. The restaurant had a much wider selection of items, especially hot items, but I found the lounge had everything I had eaten in the restaurant and had a much calmer atmosphere.

I never found the lounge messy. It has a single computer and printer for guest use, but it was very slow and the only browser was an ancient version of IE. As noted in other reviews, the evening lounge offerings were slim compared to the usual standard at non-US Hiltons, but still decent. One hot item (chicken one night, meatballs the next). When I went to get a glass of red wine about 20 minutes before closing, the bottle was empty and the hostess said there was no more. I thought that was a bit cheap.

I was concerned that the location might be a bit remote, but Helsinki has such a compact center that everything was within easy walking distance, even to the Linda or Viking line ferries. Silja requires a taxi. The Hakaniemi market is steps away, and has a metro station.

You're in Finland, so the sauna facilities are substantial, and there is a small fitness center. Lap swimmers have a number of options in Helsinki. This one was very close to the Itäkeskus metro stop.

Originally Posted by mtn
Bus 615 is the cheapest way to reach Hilton Helsinki Strand from the airport. A single ticket costs 4 euros and the walking distance from the bus stop to hotel is only 300 metres.

The bus departs from terminal 2 ground level platform 21. You can buy a ticket from the driver (need cash). You can also buy the ticket from an automatic machine at the platform with a credit card.

You have to leave the bus at Hakaniemi bus stop (2402). I you don't know Hakaniemi you can ask the driver to drop you off there. The bus stop is at the opposite side of Hakaniemi market square.

Usually there is enough space for luggage in the bus.

There is a journey planner in the internet to find out bus timetables and routes:
http://www.reittiopas.fi/en/
Good overview. I would add that you can pay the driver in cash at the airport and he can make change. Also, the name of the upcoming stop shows on a digital display in the bus, so there is little risk of missing the Hilton stop (Hakaniemi). Be advised that the Hilton is not visible from the bus stop. You need to cross the market square toward the water and then you will see it along the street next to the water.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Gold (CCR), Cartafreccia, HH Diamond, Esselunga Fidaty Gold
Stayed last saturday and I have to confirm all the previous negative reports. Arrived in the afternoon and no upgrade was available, even if executive rooms were available for booking, probably "downgraded" to the worst room (a queen size bed). No diamond gift, no bottle of water (had to pick-up in the lounge even if "no food and beverages allowed outiside of the lounge).
Lounge was a total mess and unattended most of the time. Food selection almost nonexistent. Late at evening hundreds of empty bottles of beer not removed over the tables.
Restaurant breakfast very poor, service extremely slow. Staff never smiling, probably not happy to work in a such hotel.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 5:21 pm

Totally agree with the last post - stayed at the hotel in August and was very disappointed - the hotel needs a serious refurbishment as it looks very tired. Heading to Finland in a weeks time and trying the Haven Hotel which was the same price as the Hilton.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Here again with a reservation of a standard room. Was upgraded to Executive floor as Gold by a very pleasant smiling receptionist. Room, although slightly old-fashioned, is in perfect condition and has new armchairs. Water and chocolates as welcome amenity. The hot item in the lounge is roast beef (excellently prepared). Enjoying my stay.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
On my last stay (6 nights) I was upgraded to the executive floor as a HH Gold. I agree that the lounge is nothing to write home about but it was decent and every time I was there it seemed clean. I had breakfasts both in the lounge and in the main floor restaurant and preferred the restaurant for the better selection. The service seemed a bit slower, though.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Agree with most things said about this property. My recent stay was pleasant. Met with friendly front desk staff. Check in was fast. Got an upgrade facing waterfront.
Staff was extremely helpful. Contrast to many, I like this location. The public bus to/from airport is but 3 minute walk. Some shops across the street. On market day, a lively market is just next to the hotel in that big open area. The walk to downtown is not bad. One could also take the bus there.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by MediaMan
Totally agree with the last post - stayed at the hotel in August and was very disappointed - the hotel needs a serious refurbishment as it looks very tired. Heading to Finland in a weeks time and trying the Haven Hotel which was the same price as the Hilton.
I adore Haven. I've stayed at the Hilton Strand and while I found no fault with it and enjoyed earning the points, I love Haven and will stay there from now on unless I specifically need he stay/nights/points from Hilton.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by allset2travel
On market day, a lively market is just next to the hotel in that big open area.
Hakaniemi Square.

The adjacent indoor Hakaniemi market stalls are open 6 days. http://www.hakaniemenkauppahalli.fi/...alli_flyer.pdf
Old Oct 14, 2012, 3:09 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
One night stay in October. Upgraded to a jr suite as a diamond. It's basically two room, one that has a couch and bigger working area. Not really needed for one person but nice gesture. Decent furnishings and baths. Nice staff at both check-in and the lounge. The lounge is average with evening snacks of decent quality (salmon was very good). Like many lounges, it gets noisy and I wish there would be a no cell phone policy or someone to tell the loud American guest who loudly broadcasts his distaste of Obama, unions, pro-democratic press for more than 30 minutes, to quiet his voice down (I even heard the ba$tard from the toilet). Breakfast in the main restaurant was good.

If you have the time and the weather is decent, take advantage of the free bike use. Helsinki is a great place to ride, especially on the weekend.

I'd give this a 7.5/10 for all Hiltons and better than most U.S. Hiltons.

Certainly worth the 97 euros I paid.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:12 am

Programs: HHD
Stayed at this Hilton as a Gold at the beginning of this year.
Was upgraded to EF with harbour view.

Nothing fancy but clean, friendly and prompt service. On a Sunday our safe failed to open, but they brought in a repair man after the normal procedure did not work. Hot items they served as an evening snack were tasty.

I would certainly stay here again.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:58 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

Was wondering what is the lounge offering like in the evenings during cocktail time? Wine, hot snacks?

Any recent experience on being upgraded to Exe Floor with the new wordings for non-plus rooms booked as HH Gold?

Cheers!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
As Gold I was still upgraded to exec floor on my last stay in December.

There is a full bar in the lounge during cocktail time. The food offerings have gone downhill, but there has still been one hot item.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I also like this hotel. Upgraded to Exec Floor with water view as a HH Gold. There are good transportation options with the tram, bus, subway or taxi. EL was decent and staff were professional.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I spend three nights here last weekend.
The hotel was booked as part of a British Airways flight and hotel package ( flight and hotel was cheaper than the flight alone)

I was allocated room 407 ( 2 single beds)with a view of the office buildings and climbing frames.
The room and bathroom was fine and the tv was ok

Breakfast in the restaurant was quite good.

The sauna and pool are good ( but open in the morning until 10am then closed until 5pm when it reopens). The Living well express gym is open 24 hours ( it is small though)

The location is central ( I walked through the snow to Senate square in about 10-15mins)

Weather in Helsinki last weekend was mild ( only at 0 degrees celcius) with sleet on saturday and light snow on sunday.

I got a late check out until 1pm.

The city bus 615 ( now €4.50) took about 30mins to get back to the airport.

Overall a pleasant stay and I loved Helsinki and the islands in the snow.

Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.