Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Auckland {NZL}

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2003, 3:21 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I stayed there in November 2002 as a Diamond member on an award stay. Room upgraded to a room with a view of the harbour (wow!) and complimentary guest of the absolute best breakfast buffet of any hotel I have ever stayed. Any food you can think of, it's most likely on this buffet. Exceptionally professional and friendly staff and a very short walk from some fantastic restaurants. This is my favorite Hilton property outside North America.

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: Mileage Workshop --- "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa (1940-93)
Old May 29, 2003, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I agree with Mileage addict. I've stayed there twice (1 paid, 1 award). It's an excellent boutique hotel with a great staff.

Request an upgrade to a corner king. If they won't give you that, ask for a room as close to the end of the pier as possible.
Old May 29, 2003, 4:52 pm

Im there in mid July.
Dont they have an exec club too?
Old Jun 9, 2003, 12:42 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
Trip Report – Hilton Auckland

As you pull in you discover that the hotel is sitting on a huge pier, and takes up about one quarter of it. Parking is on the center of the pier between the buildings and costs NZ$25 whether you self park or valet (and your car is parked in the same place either way).

There appeared to be a large number of hotel employees on duty both day and night. Several doormen/valet personnel working each time we entered or exited the hotel, although there seemed to be very few guests with cars so they were not very busy most of the time we saw them. In general the hotel appeared to have a large number of staff, all wearing very modern-looking uniforms, but normally just standing around.

When I checked in, the woman at the front desk was not exactly inviting, although the other staff at the desk appeared to be more friendly and polite. She fumbled around looking up my reservation despite my handing her a printed itinerary (I later learned that she was new) and from my perception she just seemed to be picking a room for us on the spot.

I had specifically asked for an upper corner room with a Harbor View (based on suggestions here) and asked if this was what I would be receiving. She said no and did not seem to want to help me out, but when I noted that I am a diamond member and had asked for this room type she disappeared into the back room to speak with a manager.

Five minutes later she returned and said they would honor my request, handing me a new key. She did not provide any special letter, no welcome notes, no breakfast coupons, etc. Just a key.

The hotel itself is beautiful: a very contemporary design, very hard architectural lines with a European feel to it. The bottom floor is the lobby and bar, which overlooks the harbor and most areas of the hotel have great views. The bar was actually featured in a magazine article I read on the plane, noted as being a “trendy” place to go.

On at least one side of the hotel all the rooms overlook the water. The other side of the hotel appears to overlook the dark courtyard of the parking area between the buildings on the pier (this would not be a pretty view).

The corner room we received was fantastic. There were windows all around with a nice view overlooking the water on two sides, with a semi-private balcony that overlooked the harbor, with a table and chairs outside for two. Most rooms on the upper floors appeared to be slightly smaller than ours, but each had a small balcony. The only nicer rooms seemed to be the “end” rooms, which extended out on the very end of the hotel, which were shaped like a triangle and appeared from the outside to be even larger.

But we were very pleased with our room. A very comfortable king bed with reading lamps, a modern sofa, desk, fully-stocked mini-bar, there was a teddy bear to greet you (available for purchase of course), etc. The bathroom had some of the most interesting features I have seen in a Hilton. The door to the bath was one large piece of opaque glass, which slid into the wall to hide away. The shower was enclosed by one large piece of clear glass and had another matching piece as the door. Very modern feel to the entire space.

Overall, the rooms just had a feeling of “modern comfort.” Not sure how else to describe it.

I called down to the front desk to inquire about an executive floor or breakfast since I was a diamond (but was not given any coupons?). They told me that the buffet breakfast would be covered, so not to worry. We only had time for one morning’s breakfast, given our early risings and setting off to see the sights on most days (the time difference probably also played some role). The buffet was very nice, in their ultra-sleek restaurant (simply called “White”). Nice assortment of toast and jams, fantastic New Zealand cheeses, eggs, meats, cold cereals, and Japanese dishes.

However, upon checkout I was informed that since I had been “upgraded” to a corner room my NZ$25/each buffet breakfast would not be “covered.” The desk clerk was not very nice about this either.

I ended up having to hold a long discussion with the assistant manager on duty about this charge of NZ$50 for the two of us. And luckily it was only the one day’s charge (I cannot imagine if we had eaten there each morning). The breakfast was very good, but not worth the unexpected charge of NZ$50.

She laid out in detail that the new rules for Hilton were that either I would receive an upgrade OR free breakfast but NOT both! These new rules are obviously up to each hotel’s discretion. However, in my specific case I informed her that one of her own staff told me that breakfast was included, and she reluctantly agreed to take away the charges.

Overall, this is a very nice Hilton, with a fantastic location for exploring the city. Plus, the hotel is located within walking distance of several nice restaurants (many different ethnic varieties). While in town we visited Kelly Tarltons (an aquarium and Antarctic experience www.kellytarltons.co.nz) as someone here suggested, as well as SkyCity (www.skycity.co.nz) and I agree that both were worth seeing. The buffet at SkyCity was not very appetizing, and was a waste at NZ$50/each. I would skip the buffet next time and simply pay to see the view (which is really why you go there).

Instead, there is a churrascaria restaurant on the pier that was fantastic and well-worth the time (a buffet of all types of meats).

Now if the staff were just better trained and more inviting this would be an ideal Hilton.

P.S. Edited to say that I do have pics of the room if anyone is interested.

[This message has been edited by elbidercni (edited 06-09-2003).]
Old Jun 9, 2003, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the report! I'm going there in January on award points (and not being diamond I'm not expecting much, but as long as I have a room...). Just booked it yest; quite looking forward to it. Don't think I'll do the car thing until I leave Auckland to go other places. And thanks for the heads up on missing the SkyCity buffet (why is it the higher up you go usually the more mediocre the food?). Can you post your images?

------------------
Sharon
Old Jun 9, 2003, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
It certainly looks nice in these official photos:
http://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/cont...fact_sheet.pdf
Old Jun 9, 2003, 9:26 pm

I have just stayed at this property in mid May, just a few weeks ago, and I must say that this is a great property, as the poster above mentioned. The fact that most rooms have balconies makes a huge difference. Just letting in the fresh, bay breeze in the morning is refreshing. The bathroom reminded me of the Westin Melbourne bathrooms (like the glass shower doors, etc.) The bed was comfortable, as well.

The hotel did seem a bit empty when I stayed there, and it did seem a bit overstaffed (especially the guys at the front door... all three or four of them virtually attacked us as we pulled into the hotel in our car, reaching for luggage, opening the doors, etc.) The front desk person, Martin, was fairly friendly and relaxed.

There are several eateries around the hotel. One that we ate at was a Thai restaurant about a block away (part of the PricewaterhouseCoopers tower). We enjoyed the food.

Access to the highway is also easy from the hotel, whether you need Motorway 1 North or South... The front desk employee was very helpful in providing directions. I did the $25 valet parking, which imo was pricey, but the most convenient option.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 1:22 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by elbidercni:
[B]

there was a teddy bear to greet you (available for purchase of course
I called down to the front desk to inquire about an executive floor or breakfast since I was a diamond (but was not given any coupons?). They told me that the buffet breakfast would be covered, so not to worry. We only had time for one morning’s breakfast, given our early risings and setting off to see the sights on most days (the time difference probably also played some role). The buffet was very nice, in their ultra-sleek restaurant (simply called “White”). Nice assortment of toast and jams, fantastic New Zealand cheeses, eggs, meats, cold cereals, and Japanese dishes.

However, upon checkout I was informed that since I had been “upgraded” to a corner room my NZ$25/each buffet breakfast would not be “covered.”

She laid out in detail that the new rules for Hilton were that either I would receive an upgrade OR free breakfast but NOT both! These new rules are obviously up to each hotel’s discretion. However, in my specific case I informed her that one of her own staff told me that breakfast was included, and she reluctantly agreed to take away the charges.

B]</font>
firstly-are you sure that the teddy was not a gift?
the Conrad Sing and HK always leave a small teddy for each stay and you can also buy in the gift shop.
second.
I have not heard of any new breakfast vs upgrade senario-except in the Grace Hotel Sydney-and the Waldorf who BOTH seem to run their own race and it seems that Hilton has
no say in their dealings.
I cannot see why Hilton let them stay in the fold if they dont perform in agreement with the HHonors program.
Where is the Hilton Lurker when we need him?
Old Jun 10, 2003, 6:31 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tinkybelle:
firstly-are you sure that the teddy was not a gift?</font>
I could be confused, but I believe he had a price tag on him, otherwise he would have come home with us.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tinkybelle:
second. I have not heard of any new breakfast vs upgrade senario-except in the Grace Hotel Sydney-and the Waldorf who BOTH seem to run their own race...</font>
I know Hilton's been toying with the idea of making you choose one OR the other, but this was the first time I'd run into a hotel adhering to this type of policy. I sure hope this is not a trend!
Old Jun 10, 2003, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Not sure if it's a trend or just outside US (although I never got benefits as a gold w/in US, so who knows)...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/007968.html

------------------
Sharon
Old Aug 14, 2003, 5:11 am

Will be staying here soon and was just wondering if anyone else has had other (hopefully more positive) experiences with upgrades/breakfast coupons at this hotel...
Old Aug 24, 2003, 7:13 pm

Just completed my stay at this property last night. I found the staff to be very courteous, friendly, and helpful. Got upgraded to the triangular-shaped room at the end of the hall -- absolutely gorgeous unobstructed views of the harbour. I agree with the first post; the hotel and its rooms have a very modern appearance, although the faux-wood TV cabinet seemed out of place. As someone else mentioned, I also ran into the "upgrade vs. breakfast" claim from the front desk. However, since I was so pleased with the room upgrade, I didn't mind bringing breakfast back to my room where I was able to enjoy a better view from my balcony table than I could have at any restaurant.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 6:15 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Auckland Hilton

Anybody have any thoughts on the Auckland Hilton? I'm looking at staying there on an upcoming trip.

Thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Been a number of posts on this in the past if you check "search". Perfect location. The place to be for sure.

------------------
~ Glen ~ sipping bubbly from a UA 747-400 exit row 15 near you SOON!
Old Jan 30, 2004, 11:58 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Carluch100K:
Anybody have any thoughts on the Auckland Hilton? I'm looking at staying there on an upcoming trip.

Thanks.
</font>
Wonderful hotel, great staff. I was there last May, and would highlt recommend. And yes, there are at least a couple of detailed posts in this forum about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.