Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

El Conquistador Tucson, A Hilton Resort {US-AZ}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

El Conquistador Tucson, A Hilton Resort {US-AZ}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2005, 6:21 am
Suspended

Thanks for the advice!

I guess I should watch out for rattlers, as well.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 10:34 am

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Gold
El Conquistador is a great property. We have relatives who own a casita on the golf course. Have stayed at the hotel many times (when it was a sheraton). Great golf,tennis,horse-back-riding,etc. Be sure to get upgraded or pay for a casita.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 10:49 pm
Suspended

Well, due to some unforseen but a quite good turn of events, it seems that I will be spending two days at the El Conquistador, after all! The third day in Tucson will be spent at the Hilton Tucson East as it now stands.

Originally had considered Sedona property, but encountered some service problems even before checking in so canceled that stay in favor of one at the El Conquistador. Because of my stay at the Hilton resort, will not be staying at the new Marriott Starr Pass resort -- will leave it to others to rate it!

Thanks again for all your comments and Sea2Be if you (or anyone else) has any updates on the property , I would most appreciate them!

By the way, likely will see the DiamondBacks play in Tucson for Spring training and will attempt to see them play one of their exhibtion games against the World Champion BoSox on April 1 at BancOne Ball Park in Phoenix.

Cant' do it on 3/31 cause I scored Billy Joel tix for that night!

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Feb 10, 2005 at 7:49 am
Old Feb 26, 2005, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Final update.... for now.

Will be staying 1 night at the Conquistador, 2 nights at the Tucson East, 1 night at the Hampton Airport and 2 nights at the Hilton Sedona.

As noted above, will be seeing Billy Joel on 3/31 and just scored a tix for the BoSox-D-Backs game at BankOne Ballpark on 4/1 -- charity exhibition game(tix went on sale today!)

Thanx for all the comments and if you have additoinal input, I would greatly appreciate it!
Old Apr 4, 2005, 2:00 pm
Suspended

High Noon in Tucson: JW Marriott Starr Pass vs. Hilton El Conquistador

OK, this is admittedly a subjective evaluation -- as they all are -- but I thought that I would add some comments having stayed one night at the above JW and 2 nights at the above Hilton.

First, I should note that I was given a Casita suite at the Hilton whereas I was given an upgraded - but not suite accommodations - at the JW, and the extra space was much appreciated, but not altogether decisive in my preference for the Hilton property.

However, your choice for each property may be influenced by the following variables that should be considered when deciding to choose between the two, as everyone's needs and likes/dislikes are different -- hence, my following attempt to break down these variables for each property.

So, here goes:

Paid Stays

The JW Marriott may be a very slight winner here, solely because I am aware of a number of promotional rates for this property in the summer months, whereas I do not know of Hilton's cost structure in the summer.

However, when I stayed at both properties the last weekend this past March, the Hilton was the winner, as it was charging a low rate of $169-$199/night, whereas the Marriott had a low rate of $239/night which included a $100 resort credit to be used -- or not, as I found out -- on anything at the property. Had I not used the credit, I could see from the checkout bill, the $100 would have simply been credited against my intial rate, bringing my cost to $139. However, self-parking is free at the Hilton, whereas you must valet park at the Marriott for $15/day, bringing the cost up to around $155 vs. $169.

In addition, you must also factor in food at both properties, aside from the the Marriott resort credit, and the rates narrow further, because since this is a Marriott resort, breakfast is not comped to Marriott awards members Gold and Platinum members, whereas it is to Hilton mid and top tier members to the tune of $28 for two (2) people, essentially erasing almost all cost differences between the two properties.

However, I believe that I have read that the Marriott charges $99 a night on some rates beginning in May which may seriously undercut Hilton's prices at that time of year -- I just do not know.

Award Stays

Setting aside the ability to obtain an award stay at both properties, which, however, I believe to be the same, I also would have to give Hilton the win - if you attempt to get the most bang out of your points -- as I do, which means a 6 consecutive night stay at the Hilton vs. a 7 night stay at the JW.

Both properties are a tier below their respective top tier point level award redemption requirements: The JW is a Category 6 and the Hilton is a Category 5 property, respectively.

Although it is usually quite difficult to obtain 6 consecutive nights at a Hilton if not a Diamond member, this property appeared to afford no trouble in doing so, if you book a reasonable time beforehand -- especially since multi-night stays often show up as available whereas at this hotel, whereas 1 or 2 night stays encompassing some of those very same dates may not!! Remember this when booking any Hilton stay!!

If, however, you seek to stay only a couple of nights, then Marriott's reward structure -- as everyone should know by now -- is far more suited to fewer nights at a property, since Marriott provides an increasing point discount per night, the more nights you tack onto a solitary night's stay, whereas Hilton does not, unless you reach that magic number of 6 consecutive nights at the same property. Therefore, in my point optimization scenario discussed above, Hilton would be the winner, because of two things already discussed under the first category:

1). Free breakfast for at least 2 amounting to $28 per day at the Hilton; and

2). No self parking charges of $15 per day at the Hilton.

These two charges would increase your "free" stay by a per night rate of approximately $45 per day (including parking taxes and valet fees) at the JW which you would not ordinarily incur at the Hilton.

Elite Program Tier Level Perks

As a Diamond, I was upgraded to a Casita Suite which although it had no view of the fabulous mountains behind the resort, was nonetheless wonderful, as it consisted of a view of the small adult pool that was surrounded and cut off from the potential noise of the main pool by its distance from same, as well as its landscaping and general design. One felt like being within a resort within a resort, made the more so by the fact that access to the pool by the guests was denied after 10 PM, except for those who actually had a patio fronting on this very lightly used pool.

I should add that the property was able to provide me this casita for a two night stay over the very busy Easter/Spring Break weekend.

On the other hand, I was not able to obtain a suite upgrade at the JW Marriott on that Easter Sunday weekend day (Monday checkout) even though that was a far less desirable weekend day. I was told that the resort only had 10 suites available -- I do not know if this was correct, but if so, the chances of being upgraded to a Casita are considerably greater at the Hilton, as they have loads more of those accommodations than the Marriott apparently has of suites.

Nonetheless, I was upgraded by the JW to a room facing out over the pool and beyond that Tucson below -- this is the most desirable view, for fully 1/2 the rooms at the JW face the saguaro spotted hills on the other side of the resort -- which actually is its main entrance area. Unfortunately, however, the main building is quite close to these hills/mountains, so that the view which could have been nicer if farther away from this scenery, is just made to be somewhat ordinary.

I was also given a further upgrade to having a room that had a patio where one could sit outside any time of day -- as my patio was completely enclosed, whereas other patios had no top covering to ward off the sun's rays.

So, although I was not given a suite, it is evident that the JW attempted to do its best to provide me with one of its best rooms available.

The JW offered the Platinum amenity of which I took the points. The Diamond amenity at the Hilton was a paltry two (2) bottles of water for one day only; but, as I have noted above, if you are an elite member, you will be given breakfast for two each day -- a big bonus in my mind.

Resort Layout and Look

Admittedly this is quite a subjective category, but I have to declare the Hilton the hands down winner here. To tell the truth, I found the JW Marriott to be hideous looking.

Admittedly, the grounds are still being landscaped as of this writing, so the place looks a bit bare, but nonetheless, I found the Hilton's "Santa Fe" style low rise series of buildings and architecture much more harmonious with its surroundings than I did with the "Pueblo Native American" style monolithic looking apartment block with wings which sometimes rose to a level of eight (8) stories!

Perhaps, too, my feelings were jaded by my arriving at 1:00 PM on a bright Sunday afternoon, and seeing what appeared to be a large orange monstrosity jutting in front of the saguaro studded brown hills. To me this effect was appalling, as is evident from my choice of verbiage.

I should note that as the day wore on, it appeared that the color of the resort's outer surface softened somewhat to an ochre color, so it may look somewhat better and more consonant with its surroundings at different times of the day in different light -- something that those of you who live in the West and Southwest know very well -- than when I saw it. In addition, with age, the color of the resort may fade and also then be more harmonious with its surroundings, but I just do not see how this large monolithic structure, even if it is to represent a pueblo cliff dwelling or some such thing, blends in with the green cacti and the brown hills of its surroundings. I say this, for if you spend some time in the area, you will see that there were far better choice (IMHO) than the orange color that was employed. You would see blazing white structures that are quite historically accurate, or truly yellow/ochre dwellings that like the grayish green of the Hilton resort as well as single family homes in the surrounding area, would have provided a much more muted sense for this resort to blend into its surroundings.

In short, I hope that the resort's color scheme changes radically, for given its architecture and sheer size, it sticks out like a sore thumb against the magnificent backdrop of saguaro studded hills, and it does not even come close to realizing what its planners had envisioned as a structure in harmony with its surroundings.

Finally, being a newer and more conservationist minded resort, the JW does succeed in utilizing desert flora as its main landscaping theme, whereas the Hilton being an older property, sticks more to the grass and high plains desert landscaping found in Northern New Mexico and Colorado.

Rooms

It obviously was difficult to compare the two since I was in a casita suite with a separate bedroom with bathroom off of it, as well as a separate living room with a fireplace and wet bar -- but curiously, no refrigerator -- as opposed to the Marriott's one room -- but large (perhaps 575 sq ft.) King room.

I found the Casita at the Hilton to be extremely comfortable, and if a comparison is to be made, I can safely say that it is more comfortable and larger than the compact suites that the Sedona Hilton possesses (which is not to say that overall, the Sedona property is inferior to the Tucson property, because it is not -- they are just different -- but the suites are more spacious in Tucson).

I recall that the Hilton casitas use muted browns and beiges and the fireplace was a real romantic benefit -- even though you are only given the store bought ersatz log to burn for one night as a comp -- the other nights should you wish, you are charged a nominal fee, whatever that is.

The rooms at the JW Marriott are luxurious, make no mistake about that -- this is not an ordinary Marriott. Of course the carpet and bedding fabrics were new, and the new Marriott bed, like the Hilton's bed were, I suppose, the knock off of the Westin Heavenly bed that all the chains now seem to be using -- even the Hampton Inn Tucson airport (which I highly recommend if your flight comes in late, as it is stupid to pay for a resort if you spend little or no time there to it enjoy it your first day in Tucson).

The JW Marriott's bathroom is quite spacious with a granite enclosed tub to your left when you fact the large two sink vanity and the commode and glass door shower stall to your right. As I recall, the floor was marble and there was a large sliding door that provided you access to the bathroom which was off of the hallway leading to the room. I loved it and so did my wife. However, she commented that the resort should have provided comp bath salts/beads for such a luxurious soaking tub.

The Hilton casita had a sitting and preparation area with vanity off of the bedroom and a separate door leading to a standard curtained bathtub with shower nozzle and it also contained a commode -- clean and fine, but not luxurious.

The JW provided a flat panel TV, but the reception on many of the channels was quite lousy with ghost shadows and other sorts of interference. Although the Hilton's TVs were not flat panel affairs, they were large and I had no interference whatsoever on them.

Frankly, I much prefer the Hilton's location in upscale, but heavily built, East Tucson, to that of the JW's virtually solitary existence in the West part of the Tucson metro area.

Each, however, has its pluses and minuses.

If you wish to be near the Westin La Paloma (excellent restaurants onsite -- Janos and J Bar -- sorry, no SPG points when dining but you can charge it to your room if you are staying there), the Loews Ventanna and Canyon ranch, are within a 15-20 min drive of the Hilton. So too, are numerous restos from fast food to fine dining, as well as 24 hour pharmacies, as well as food stores and other stores such ranging from TJ Maxx to Crate and Barrel.

Forget it if you are at the JW. You are very isolated, although you could go into downtown Tucson if you wish -- and many do not, for whatever reason.

In addition, Sabino Canyon is quite close to the Hilton.

On the other hand, I think that the JW could perhaps be better for families -- if basing such a decision solely on where it is located.

The JW abuts Tucson Mountain Park, and contained within that park or within the nearby Saguaro National Park West, are both the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum (in reality, the guidebooks label it a zoo of desert wildlife, and an excellent one at that), as well as the Old Tucson Studios, where the Wild West has been recreated for TV and film production. The last feature to be shot there, I believe, was Tombstone with Val Kilmer. They also supposedly have gun slinging demos, etc. Not having been to either, I can only regurgitate what I have read from the guidebooks.

In addition the Saguaro West National Park, probably has one of the largest concentration of these cacti, anywhere, as they are only found in the Sonoran desert in the US and Mexico and they are an awesome sight. There are numerous hiking trails in that park as well as a visitor center with various National Park ranger talks and I believe hikes, as well.

In another area of West Tucson, on the way from the airport to downtown Tucson, kids and adults too, will love the Pima Air and Space museum, which houses a tremendous and varied collection of military and civilian aircraft and where the original crew members or knowledgeable historians serve as docents for this museum, similar to the National D-Day museum in New Orleans.

Finally, the Mission San Xavier de Bac -- "The Little White Dove of the Desert" -- like the Pima Air Museum -- is much closer to the JW. It is the oldest continuously used Church in North America still serving its original parishioners -- Native Americans on the nearby reservation. The inside has been compared to the Sistine Chapel, and apparently, one of the main restorers of the latter also has worked to restore the dazzling interior and altar of this church.

[Will continue later with restos and health club facilities and any other things you might wish to remind me of!!]

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Apr 4, 2005 at 2:10 pm
Old Jun 19, 2005, 1:33 pm

Pet at El Conquistador

[

Question for Frenchie Flyer or anyone else who has experience with a dog at the El Conquistador. We are planning an award stay with our dog in the fall. Are dogs restricted to certain rooms? Does anyone know how that will affect an award stay? We are Gold so we were hoping to get upgraded. Any other tips for staying with the dog here? places to go, etc. Thanks

Last edited by Carolellen607; Jun 19, 2005 at 1:35 pm
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 2P
Hilton El Conquistador Tucson

Greetings everyone! Has anyone here got any experience or information to share about the Hilton El Conquistador golf resort in Tucson? Positive or negative reviews would be most welcome, as would tips and suggestions for a 3-day stay. Many thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:56 pm

You'd likely get better responses in the Hilton Forums. The El Conquistador, while a nice hotel is not quite in the league of hotels usually talked about in this forum.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 8:05 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
I'll move this thread to the Hilton forum.

ralfkrippner, moderator
Old Mar 29, 2006, 8:30 am

Location: In a plane over Europe; I mean in the back of a plane over Europe !!!
Programs: HHonors, Scandic, Priority Club, Marriott, AF/KL FB, BAEC, AB TB, LH M&M
I presume there's other 'literature' on it if you do a search but anyway...
I stayed there in Sept 2005 and ... my only single experience makes me write:
*easy to get lost trying to find your room (different buildings and too few signs, at least for me) but perhaps it was just me
*nice room, a lot of space which I did not needed or even used
*very good pay TV system, but do you really need it ?
*room view: normal but nothing incredible
*fitness: nice Jacuzzi in the central garden (be there at a sunset, it's great), no sauna, no steaming room
*restaurant: expensive for sure but not so great, one night I was almost forgotten in a corner for quite a while (or perhaps I was only very tired and I wanted to have a good night sleep as soon as possible), good breakfast
*Diamond benefit: cheap feeling... not free breakfast but a small amount you can deduct from ... with that you pay for a cup of tea and an orange juice
*Car parking: it's a lottery, free parking but you could end quite far (weel, not really)
*Check in guys: 'basic', perhaps a trainee ?, if I got an upgrade I did not noticed it
* No executive lounge at all
Old Mar 29, 2006, 8:30 am

Stayed there 3 nights as a diamond last year. The first night we arrived late and were given a regular room in the main hotel section overlooking a parking lot which was all they had available. The next morning I inquired about moving and was given a casita suite which was a ways away from the main part of the hotel but had a wonderful unobstructed view of the desert and mountains. The room decor was a little dated and beat up however nice bedding. It was sure nice to go out on a private patio and sit in the sun. The casita area also has their own pool and some jacuzzis which were very quiet and peaceful. The pool at the main hotel looked nice, the children's area and waterslide were closed. Had breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the resort and the food was very good and reasonably priced. As diamond was given breakfast certificates, I think $14 each toward anything on the menu. Also we took advantage of the onsite horseback riding which is very reasonably priced and really enjoyed it.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 8:36 am

Location: In a plane over Europe; I mean in the back of a plane over Europe !!!
Programs: HHonors, Scandic, Priority Club, Marriott, AF/KL FB, BAEC, AB TB, LH M&M
Originally Posted by Redeemed
... As diamond was given breakfast certificates, I think $14 each toward anything on the menu. ....
If so, I was fooled (quite normal ), I think I got something like 5 USD per day! I remember a cup of tea and an orange juice was exciding a bit that sum... plus I really needed the solid stuff !

Originally Posted by Redeemed
... we arrived late. ....
In my case a lot before noon, I parked my bags and I went outside since evening but my room allocation did not improved in the meantime.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:24 am

Programs: HH Diamond, MR LTGold, UA, AA, AS, DL, Global Entry & TSAPre✓
El Conquistador - recent stay

Just returned from Tucson a couple days ago. Stayed at El Conquistador 3 nights.
I checked the morning of check-in and my online reservation said we were assigned to a pool-view room because upgrades were not available, but at checkin 9 hours later we were upgraded to a casita suite. (Diamond members)

Breakfast: Sundance Cafe, 3 days. Good buffet, other entrees good as well. Diamond HHonors members receive $14 each towards breakfast, and if one person has buffet at $17.95 and other gets oatmeal at $5.95, they take $28 off the total. Diamond also get 2 bottles of water; not sure about Gold.

We ate at the Desert Spring (pool bar/snacks) twice. For lunch, burgers and hot dogs being grilled right there. Burger very good. Beer cold. ^ Chips & guac = just ok.

Dos Locos dinner once, outside. Good view of mountains at sunset, also overlooks the pool. But sidewalks nearby so it is not secluded/romantic. Food was good, but didn't blow me away. Food delivery a bit slow.

Last Territory steakhouse once. Prime rib was good, jalapeno cheesy potato casserole very good. Entertainment was fair (a small band with 2 singers). Typical "cowboy theme" place, like with the Pointe Resorts in Phoenix. They were not seating anyone outside that night; that would be even more casual, but I could see that as a good option if they had a dinner show and you were looking for a cowboy night.

Conquistador Lounge, in the lobby. Stopped for drinks a couple times. Comfy chairs & sofas, views of TVs. Cute staff. Service towards the slow side.

Didn't try La Vista at the country club.
Didn't try the fitness center.
The resort has an optional $10 resort fee -- and believe it or not they didn't charge it proactively like I was expecting. Covers entry to fitness center at resort and golf club, reduced price valet parking (we self-parked), and a couple other things.

They had a number of functions over the weekend, and it looked like there were some spring breakers also. The resort was sold out Saturday night. Breakfast was full Sunday, looked like about a 5-minute wait for a table by 9:00am, but at 7:30 am Monday morning there were only a few tables occupied. The main pool area was very busy Friday and Saturday, but the Casita Club pool and hot tubs were not busy. Our casita backed up to the path between the pool and upper hot tub, but that was not busy and although we didn't have a great view, it was nice to be so close to the pool area. To get to the lobby & restaurants was about 1/4 mile, with a 55-foot elevation gain during the first 100 yards. Not all casitas are like that.

Although I'd say they are very similar, overall I like Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs in Phoenix better -- TC is bigger which means more walking, but I like that aspect myself because I need the exercise.
I really enjoyed the view from EC towards the mountains just behind the resort, especially at sunset.
I hiked from both resorts into public hiking trails nearby. TC in Phoenix has more options once you leave the resort, but EC was fine. The trail from EC is past the stables, and hikers use the same trail as the horses -- so watch where you step! This takes you to the Linda Vista trailhead, and the horses use the path straight up to the junction and then to the right (south). The part of the loop that hugs the north boundary is poop-free, longer, and more varied.

The city is growing north, and although this resort is definitely at the northend edge of the Tucson area, it is much more convenient if you are heading to Phoenix/Casa Grande. It probably took us about 35 minutes to get south of Tucson on Saturday morning. And most resorts appear to be on the north or west edge anyway.

Comparing EC to the JW Marriott Starr Pass, or the Westin La Paloma... I stayed at both last summer (gold in both at the time, Diamond at Hilton), and preferred the JW among the three. Definitely more luxurious. Gave me a better feel as a guest. But I was more comfortable being less-than-clean-and-dressed-up at the Hilton. The Westin and Hilton seemed similar.

We didn't have kids with us so can't comment on that directly, but the kids we did see seemed to be enjoying themselves at the pool. In addition to the main pool and the separated facilities for casitas, they have an area by the main pool with a hot tub and a cold tub, an area for smaller kids, and a slide.
I noticed a putting green our last morning, but didn't see anything about it so I don't know where you get clubs & balls.

Let me know if you have additional questions and I'll try to answer.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 2P
thank you!

I can't thank you enough for all the information you've all posted. I am a newbie as you can tell, still learning my way around FT, and I just can't get over what a wonderful community is online here... I am heading out to the Hilton EC tomorrow. Will definitely be taking advantage of the horseback riding per your suggestions... And of course I will faithfully file my own report here next week. Thanks so much!
Old Apr 18, 2006, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by cartcarol
I can't thank you enough for all the information you've all posted. I am a newbie as you can tell, still learning my way around FT, and I just can't get over what a wonderful community is online here... I am heading out to the Hilton EC tomorrow. Will definitely be taking advantage of the horseback riding per your suggestions... And of course I will faithfully file my own report here next week. Thanks so much!
How did your trip go. I am going for a few nights in October and would appreciate any feedback on your trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.