Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

El Conquistador Tucson, A Hilton Resort {US-AZ}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

El Conquistador Tucson, A Hilton Resort {US-AZ}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:14 pm

Programs: AC-SE (MM), Hilton-Diamond (lifetime)
Thinking of spending 3 nights there between Christmas and New Years. Deciding between this property and the Westin La Paloma. Any updates on benefits for diamond status. Upgrade to casita and continental breakfast? Thanks.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
I stayed there back in August as a Diamond.

No casita upgrade, but did have a decent sized room in one of the main buildings.

Comp breakfast was an upgraded continental. They called it "Healthy Choice" or something like that. It included salmon, so I made a salmon bagel which was quite nice.

Diamond also earned a letter good for 2 bottles of water in the gift shop.

Location is far north Tucson with wonderful mountain backdrops. Property is clean and well kept.

Pool areas are nice but crowded with the little ones. To check-our pool towels required a stop at the pool's gift shop and a wait in line as the lady slowly processed each customer. Towel check-outs were her only business, nobody buying anything in the store. Pool use also required a wristband. It all seemed a little silly for a place that bills itself as an upscale resort.

Steve
Old Jun 26, 2011, 3:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Just booked a reservation here for 1 night in mid-August. Mostly to celebrate a birthday (not mine) and eat at a fantastic restaurant nearby. But also to take the dog on her first roadtrip and see how she holds up, and holds up in a hotel. Only a 90 min or so drive from home, so if things go horribly, we could always drive home early.

Does anyone have experience bringing a dog to the property? Not sure if this is better here or in the pets forum...
Anyway, the property charges $50 for a pet. I just put in the reservation notes that I'd be bringing a dog. Is that the protocol?
There seem to be only 2 kinds of rooms where they prefer to put people with pets, a 2-bed villa or a 2-bedroom casita. The price difference is ~$200, so I went with the lower priced villa.
I'm assuming they'll read the notes in my booking before upgrading? There are other room types in between, and I'd rather not have any surprises.
Is it better to call the property and let them know I'll be bringing the dog?

Oh, and the Nor-1 options included that 2-bedroom casita for $99. So I only checked that. Is the casita worth it?
Old Jun 26, 2011, 9:42 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
The casitas are wonderful.

As always, I suggest a fax, not an email, to the attention of the General Manager a few days before requesting an upgrade to a casita.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 1:22 am

Programs: HH, AA
I stayed there twice last year and really enjoyed it. Place was dead both times and we ended up in Casitas. Great place for kids, DBD learned how to swim there! Love the water slide, my best friend's mom went down one for the first time at 55+ and loved it.

It is a hike to the Casitas but they do have valet with golf carts. The one night I really needed it (two sleeping 6 year olds to try and carry) it took over 20 minutes to get someone to show up.

Breakfast is good, they were in the middle of remodeling during one of our stays. Their coffee is the best ever, not sure what is different about it but the only place that I drink more than one cup.

Getting towels for the pool was a bit slow, even with there being no one there. The wrist bands seemed a little silly with less than 10 people in the pool each day!

We never requested an upgrade, just got it.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: WS Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, AC 100K, INtercontinetal Ambassador, Avis Prefered Plus
Originally Posted by aztimm
Just booked a reservation here for 1 night in mid-August. Mostly to celebrate a birthday (not mine) and eat at a fantastic restaurant nearby. But also to take the dog on her first roadtrip and see how she holds up, and holds up in a hotel. Only a 90 min or so drive from home, so if things go horribly, we could always drive home early.

Does anyone have experience bringing a dog to the property? Not sure if this is better here or in the pets forum...
Anyway, the property charges $50 for a pet. I just put in the reservation notes that I'd be bringing a dog. Is that the protocol?
There seem to be only 2 kinds of rooms where they prefer to put people with pets, a 2-bed villa or a 2-bedroom casita. The price difference is ~$200, so I went with the lower priced villa.
I'm assuming they'll read the notes in my booking before upgrading? There are other room types in between, and I'd rather not have any surprises.
Is it better to call the property and let them know I'll be bringing the dog?

Oh, and the Nor-1 options included that 2-bedroom casita for $99. So I only checked that. Is the casita worth it?
Yes we have stayed there in a 2 bedroom Casita with our lab, works out great as there is a somewhat private patio with either green space or desert landscape for your dog. I always state on my reservation that "I am bring my dog" which is all you need to do. We always call a few hours ahead just to make sure they have it right.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
"Oh, and the Nor-1 options included that 2-bedroom casita for $99. So I only checked that. Is the casita worth it? "

We always get upgraded for free--sometimes have to ask but most times it is always done already. Don't know with pets what the protocol is but you might find the hotel directly can give you a cheaper rate and an upgrade with your pet--I would phone.

I never check the NOR-1 at a property where I regularly stay (like the Conquistador) as I usually do better than NOR-1 would suggest, at no extra cost.

The only knock on this property is the crappy continental breakfast that is free for diamond. It used to be the all american breakfast (hot, including coffee and juice, 2 eggs, bacon potatoes etc) but now just croissants, muffins, toast, cereal. I always pay the extra for the full continental breakfast (cold) with lox, cold meats, cheese, fruit, yogurt etc. as I feel I am getting a good deal anyway and use the basic continental credit against it. There is also a hot option and some good choices from the menu. Not sure why they went so chintzy on this but the rest of the experience has always been good. Helpful staff--even on late checkout--most times they say they will charge after 2 PM but my experience has been otherwise.

The villas and casitas are very similar. We like the casita pool to get away from the hustle and bustle of the regular pool but always do both, including the water slide. Towels at casita pool are a snap--just pick up what you want from the pile-no sign out sheet required.

Last edited by BlondeBomber; Jun 28, 2011 at 12:15 pm
Old Jun 28, 2011, 2:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
We always get upgraded for free--sometimes have to ask but most times it is always done already. Don't know with pets what the protocol is but you might find the hotel directly can give you a cheaper rate and an upgrade with your pet--I would phone.

The only knock on this property is the crappy continental breakfast that is free for diamond.

Helpful staff--even on late checkout--most times they say they will charge after 2 PM but my experience has been otherwise.

The villas and casitas are very similar. We like the casita pool to get away from the hustle and bustle of the regular pool but always do both, including the water slide. Towels at casita pool are a snap--just pick up what you want from the pile-no sign out sheet required.
Thanks for all the info!

I'm not sure if it is possible to 'undo' a Nor-1 once it is done, but maybe I'll try. I've never stayed at this property before (stayed at the Hilton East, a couple of Hamptons, and the new ES near Skyline/Campbell). But given that the villas and casitas are similar enough, for 1 day, I may chance keeping what I'm paying for (and a very nice rate), with the hope of a possible free upgrade to a casita. Given how close it is, and that they are pet-friendly, if we enjoy this visit we could make this our regular hotel in Tucson.

Do you--or anyone else--know if any of the pools are lap-pool worthy? Not necessarily with lines and such, but would it be possibly to really swim in?

Thanks for sharing about the breakfast. That's unfortunate news, and I don't understand why the Hilton Resorts tend to shortchange breakfast, when the new ES had a fantastic offering (as well as the Hamptons...heck even the Hilton East had a good one for gold/diamond).

And nice to know we'll have until 2pm to check-out. Given that it will be August, and we'll have the dog, I think that will give us plenty of time.

This hotel is one of the sponsors of and the 'official' hotel for the Tucson marathon, which I intend to do one day (it doesn't fit my schedule this year, alreadly doing one in Oct, another in Jan, Tucson in Dec would be too much). But I'd like to check out some of the course, maybe chat up the staff about how it is. And of course my dog loves to run with me too ^
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Stayed there three weeks ago. Was upgraded to a casitas, no problem. Very nice room. Plenty of areas to walk the dog including the golf course.

Breakfast is the standard continental breakfast for diamond members. The cost of the breakfast can be offset against menu items at $9.82.

We have stayed at this hotel four previous times and it is very nice. However, it is out of the way if you need to go to central Tucson.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, MR Silver
Originally Posted by rscpa
Plenty of areas to walk the dog including the golf course.
Lovely . . . . .
Old Aug 15, 2011, 9:41 am

Did my stay here this past Sat night, Aug 13, checked out yesterday Aug 14. Just a few observations--

* Was indeed upgraded to a casita. not only that, but they also gave keys for an adjoining room, so we were able to open the doors and have a little extra space. We were in 1525/1526, which are near the road going up to the front desk, with mostly desert landscape behind.

* On checking in, they had me sign a pet waiver. On the back of it was a map with, "pet friendly," places to walk the dog. They specifically said no walking the dog on the golf course, and not in the central courtyard. They charge a $50 pet fee.

* The place is definitely showing its age. While the casita was nice, you can tell that it is 20+ years old. Initially, I wasn't sure which adjoining room was ours, and I opened the door to the wrong side...and the handle fell off the door just by touching it.

* Location wasn't bad at all. From the Phoenix area, we took the I-10 to Tangerine, to First Ave, to Oracle (right at 90 min from Chandler). Google maps said to take the I-10 to Ina (I know Ina and avoid it when I can). The hotel website said to take Tangerine the whole way to Oracle, which adds an extra few miles. We ate dinner at Guadalajara Grill, not far from Oracle & Prince; it took about 15 min to get there.

* As others have said, you receive a voucher for $9.82 each off of the menu for breakfast at the restaurant. I think you can also use it at some other places. Because it wasn't busy, there was no buffet, and there really was just the one restaurant open. Kind of silly, why not just give $10 off? I'm sure it is a tax thing or something, but still...

* Also as others have said, it can be a hike to the casitas...and downhill going, which means an uphill returning. Parking is also very limited. I can't imagine what it is like in-season when the place is actually busy.

* The area around here has really developed over the years! There's tons of shops very close. We stocked up at Super Target after dinner (good thing, as water in the room goes for $6 a bottle). I did take the dog out for a short run, then went out for a longer run myself, mostly just along Oracle up to just past Tangerine. There's an entrance to Catalina State Park about 3-4 miles from the hotel.

* We did check out the fitness center, which looked pretty nice, but didn't use it. Saw the main pool, which seemed overrun with kids. The casita pool (aka the 'adult' pool) was also overrun with kids. I forgot to bring a swimsuit, and didn't go in either. There was a hot tub close to our room (near ice machines), and was connected to the casita pool via a very long stairway.

Overall....I'd rate this place about a C. Definitely in need of a major overhaul (not just paint and carpets).
For the right price, I'd stay here again. Really depends why I'm in town, what I need to do while there, and where I'll be. Given the location and the amount of walking needed, if I'm traveling for work I usually just prefer to stay closer to where I'll need to be the next morning.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 2:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Just a note that in September that the buffet was not always offered--ie. a la carte menu items only. Not sure if it will come back in the busy season.

The "continental" breakfast does not even include toast, only some danish pastries/muffins and coffee and juice.

Still like the place. Agree could use a bit of refurb but it does the trick for us and usually at reasonable price. I am sure they could charge more if they upgraded some items.

We will be back again in a week or two.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Exec, Marriott Rewards Gold, HHonors Gold
Possible to do laps in the pool(s)

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to do laps in any of the pools. I'll be visiting in March when I suspect it will be pretty busy!

Thanks
Old Feb 8, 2012, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bogbrush
Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to do laps in any of the pools. I'll be visiting in March when I suspect it will be pretty busy!

Thanks
While there are 2 pools on-site, I'd describe neither as a lap pool.

However, you may want to look into the nearby Oro Valley municipal pool:
http://www.orovalleyaz.gov/Town_Gove...n/Aquatics.htm

If you are into masters swimming, there's a great program at the U of A pool, but that could be quite a haul from the Hilton El Con.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:21 pm

Programs: multiple airlines incl. all 3 alliances
Hilton El Conquistador

This turned out to be an amazing property because the view at the mountains and the nice gardens and pool. It was a fairly standard hotel but I would definitely go back because it served it's purpose of relaxing me in a nice environment. But you do need a car to get anywhere in Tucson. Waking up to the mountains and sunrise - wow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.