Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

El Conquistador Tucson, A Hilton Resort {US-AZ}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

El Conquistador Tucson, A Hilton Resort {US-AZ}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2004, 12:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Nice property--got upgraded to casitas as Diamond. Some may prefer to stay closer to the action around the pool. Seems to be well-maintained.

Extra charge for small waterslide area seems to be waived on less busy days (not policy just who you know at poolside). Don't know why they even have a charge for this . . . Cost is not cheap for this property!

Breakfasts for Diamonds is great-$14 allowance covers full American breakfast, fresh squeezed orange juice and coffee.

A bit out of the way but there is hiking in the desert fairly close by--snakes show up outside your door (which I like but some may not). You can find some good restaurants within a 10-15 minute drive.

If you are into golf, the property is surrounded by it. I prefer Tucson to PHX so this is the Hilton property to stay at if you are into resorts. Pointe's at PHX may be a better value, just not in good locations for me. Tucson Hilton is still hard to beat given its incredibly low prices and location a bit closer to some action.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

My parents and I stayed there last September and posted a report here;

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...=hilton+tucson

PS I should add altohough we left early, the $50 early check out fee was not added to the bill or to the credit card which was nice of them.

( My parents were Diamond, Iwas(then) Gold and both upgraded to the Casitas)

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 29, 2004, 11:41 am
Suspended

Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort

Hi!

Trying to decide between the above named-property and the Hilton Sedona for a late March award vacation.

I am currently Gold, but will probably be dropped down a notch, by then.

Read some very good reviews here re the Sedona, but some very horrid reviews re Sedona on Tripadvisor re roaches and bed bugs. Nothing mentioned here about the latter!

On the other hand, Tripadvisor is replete with mostly favorable reviews of the El Conquistador, esp. after Hilton's takeover and renovation but strangely, there are few reports about the. El Conquistador here on FT!

We are not golfers, but we do like to hike and we don't mind driving alot.

Thanks for your input!
Old Dec 29, 2004, 1:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Well not recent but last May--I would think during March, you would be advised to stick with Tucson. Weather at Sedona can include snow and will include snow up at higher elevations. Very lovely, but maybe you are trying to get away from winter then?

El Conquistador was great. Super breakfast, upgraded to casita as Diamond -- although remote from the pool, I preferred this but others may want a room overlooking the pool. Nice grounds and if you want to go hiking, there is a trailhead into the National Forest Service wilderness area not too far away (5-10 minute drive).
Old Dec 29, 2004, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA and BA
Headed there Friday

I am headed back there for the holiday weekend, and also was there Labor Day weekend. I'll be hoping for an upgrade to one of the casitas mentioned. Our room for Labor Day weekend was directly overlooking the pool (which was a zoo). Room was fine, hotel fine. Overall nothing special, actually. I am trying to progress to Platinum so I'm willling the give the place another shot. We did get vouchers for breakfast, which was fine (menu, rather than buffet).

This trip I have decided to not play golf, so will be spending a bit more time at the hotel. Will be curious to see whether it exceeds fairly moderate expectations this time. If not, we will move on to another hotel for our next stay.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 8:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, UAL Premier, Southwest CP
Stayed there in September of this year. Was upgraded to a casita and received breakfast vouchers for myself and my husband for our entire stay. Received turn-down service each night, water & chocolate. Great hiking nearby as well. Overall, a very nice stay.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Thanks very much all.

Sea2BA --

I would be very interested in your comments on this stay, as well, what you did to occupy yourself -- within reason! -- and why you just classified this as just an ok hotel -- what were your expectations for this place compared to what?

Thanks.

Other comments most appreciated.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA and BA
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Thanks very much all.

Sea2BA --

I would be very interested in your comments on this stay, as well, what you did to occupy yourself -- within reason! -- and why you just classified this as just an ok hotel -- what were your expectations for this place compared to what?

Thanks.

Other comments most appreciated.
Sure, I will try to post a trip report when I get back next week. I just got off the phone booking the "coffee scrub" body treatment at their spa, which I also had last time.

Per your questions about why I thought it was just OK, getting off the phone with the spa just now reminded me about one of the great disappointments from our last stay: The so-called spa, which just appeared to be some converted rooms at the end of the main building. Waiting for my treatment I was directed to simply sit in a chair in what was a very narrow hall corner, so narrow that the massage therapist had to step over my legs to walk through. I have used many, many spas (primarly at Vegas hotels) and this was a shack in comparison (although I enjoyed the treatment I had). No spacious lounge, no jacuzzi/steam room/sauna, no locker rooms, no big couches, no magazines and water and fruit. None of the above, just a dark, cramped hallway leading to the treatment rooms. In summary, NOT a "spa" at all. Has anyone else used this facility?

In comparison to where else I've stayed this year in the same price range (Camelback in Scottsdale, Doubletree Paradise Valley in Scottsdale, Westin Casaurina in Las Vegas, Westin in Seattle and Sheraton in Seattle), I just was not impressed at all. Seemed very mid-level in quality. I would rank El Conquistador below all those I just listed (where I have stayed at in the past ~9 months). As I said, maybe I will be more impressed tomorrow. I will let you know.

How does this compare to your own experiences there?

SEA2BA
Old Dec 30, 2004, 1:28 pm
Suspended

SEA2BA--

Thanks for the heads up about the spa, my wife certainly would be disappointed, as well.

When you write that the resort does not compare to the others that you have stayed at this year, is the issue the service compared to those, but that the physical plant is fine -- except for the said spa -- or that the rooms, grounds, etc, just don't compare, as well?

Thanks and enjoy your stay, hopefully!

NJ
Old Jan 26, 2005, 10:39 am

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
We stayed at both the El Conquistador and the Sedona Hilton last year. The Sedona property is our favorite. Let me compare the two and what we liked about them.
The Sedona Hilton has a more hotel feel compared to the El Conquistador's resort feel. Even so we saw more wildlife at the Sedona location including quail (10 little babies chasing the mother by the pool), a snake (non-poisonous) in the parking lot, lizards. Lots of birdlife at the El Conquistador. The Sedona H. has new and nice spa facility. Had a hour and a half massage and thought it was very nice. Super facility - nice large dressing area, new restroom, and it has a large lap pool, a hot tub for 20 inside, and a steam room (I didn't use it so it may be a sauna). There are other pools as well.
The Sedona Hilton is next to a golf course, shopping center and a neighborhood. The El Conquistador has residential property nearby but feels more country-like to me. To hike at Sedona you can drive a short ways to the start of several great trails around the red rocks. At the Tucson location you can walk from the property or also drive a short distance to access a National Preserve - there are horses available at the resort and they also use the trail. I enjoyed both trails very much, but the red rocks are just more special or impressive. I like the Tucson area with the Sonoran Desert flora and fauna - it is maybe just a little more subtle and requires a little education to appreciate. There are some great views from the trail there.
We did not eat a meal other than breakfast at the hotels (free breakfast coupons with our Gold status). Enjoyed breakfast at both - we ordered from the menu at the Sedona H. and got the breakfast buffet at the El Conquistador. I really like the granola at the Sedona location - unusual.

We never had any issue with pests at either location. We took the dog to Tucson and she was welcome there. I believe Sedona charges for a pet. Our vet mentioned she had been to the El Conquistador a week before we were going and she left it in disgust - condition issues with the room, but we had none. That kind of put us on edge about what we were going to though.
The view from our room at Sedona was pretty incredible with a little patio to sit on and watch the sunset. At the El Conquistador we had a little patio also and really no view. You walked a short ways from the casitas to use the hot tub and then down a long steep stair to get the the casita pool. The big pool is by the main building.

Anyway you can't go too wrong at either location. Tucson has a lot great touristy things to do as well as does Sedona. Temps - Tucson is likely warmer, but Sedona has an average high of 65 in March (rainiest month for a near desert area). Pretty nice hiking weather, but maybe too chilly for swimming.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Frenchie Flyer --

Thanks for the lengthy and informative review of both properties.

Since I posted my query, I had to cut my 6 day vacation short and therefore will not be using a GLON at the El Conquistador -- for my money, the only type of award that is worthwhile for that property.

Instead, we will be spending 3 nights at the recently opened -- January 7, 2005 -- JW Marriott Starr Pass resort in Tucson. It, too, is supposed to be abutting a nature preserve. More infor available at the Marriott forum.

Thanks for the input. If we like the Tucson experience, we will be coming back and likely will stay at the Hilton for free next time -- in fact, maybe we will mosey up there to take a looksee !
Old Jan 28, 2005, 9:49 am

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
NJUPINTHEAIR hope you have a good time and do post a review on the new Marriott. Be sure to check out the Sonoran Desert Museum - more a zoo and botanical garden. I've seen some restaurant reviews at Chowhound.com you may want to check it out.

Frenchie Flyer
Old Jan 28, 2005, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Red face Enjoy your visit!

Starr Pass is a nice area on the west side of town, unfortunately choice of restaurant fare in that area is extremly limited. Most of the eatiers are on the east side. The Desert Museum and Old Tucson Studios are convenient to Starr Pass. There is also a place called Signal Rock Petroglyphs, ask the locals for directions. The views are awesome and the petroglyphs are interesting. Most important you must visit Mission San Xavier, eat fry bread underneath a brush arbor after touring the mission. Tohono families for many generations have sold crafts and fry bread on the mission grounds.

Between the Conquistidor and the Hilton Sedona, I prefer Sedona, though in all fairness our visit to the Conquistidor was spoiled by severe thunder storms. Both locations upgraded to a suite and gave vouchers redeemable for breakfast from menu. Dinner at the Hilton Sedona was divine served outside under the stars with soft music and attentive blacktie waiter. The Sedona also allows free use of spa facilities. As earlier posted the Conquistidor has a resort feel (lots of children) while the Hilton feels a little more sophisticated.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 9:43 pm
Suspended

Thank you all very much!

I will post a review in the Marriott forum!

Travelnurse and Frenchie, thank you for the tips!

Travelnurse -- your experiences at Sedona appeal to my wife and myself since we have no children. What status do you hold in Hilton -- Diamond?

Thanks!

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Jan 28, 2005 at 9:46 pm
Old Jan 29, 2005, 4:11 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Diamond thanks to Flyer Talk Posts

Take plenty of water and snacks for desert treks. Amenities are sparse once you leave the city. Many spectacular hiking trails. But be alert in higher elevations there have been reports of panther attacks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.