Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on one of the desired years shown below:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Hawaiian Village® Beach Resort & Spa hotel property.

Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
We don't have enough points (we want to earn more), but the Senior Discount (not just AARP, but over 62) really makes it a great bargain for our dates. Looking forward to it. And I also really am glad when I read these reviews, because it tempers my expectations and I'm often less disappointed than if I go in expecting things to be better.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; UA GOLD 1MM; HILTON DIAMOND; HYATT EXPLORIST; MARRIOTT/IHGGOLD
Just checked in for my 7th stay this year and will echo a post above, upgrade just depends on whats available. I always book "resort room, garden view", cheapest rate - but have been upgraded to a huge double room in rainbow with great lagoon/marina sunset view, huge rainbow corner room with two lanais, tapa ocean and tapa resort view, kalia ocean....when we booked lagoon tower studio i got a grand waikikiaan suite (very nice)...it just depends on how booked they are and i think its pretty random. today the place was packed, i got a crappy resort room in tapa.

Other than the newer towers (kalia, waikikiaan), all of them are very very worn. There is really absolutely nothing special about Alii save for a cheap thin robe and dedicated check in (which can be useful); I have never been able to use the pool as its always packed, and everyone has (obnoxiously) 'reserved' chaises by 8am.

today at check in they told me the first 3 or 4 floors or the rainbow tower are now renovated and look great (the staff had just done a tour). staff have been told that the alii tower will be renovated right after rainbow is finished. then apparently there are plans to BUILD TWO MORE TOWERS!! goodness knows where they will squeeze them in, but anyhow that was what the check in agent said today

i was also told that breakfast was now at tapa promenade for vips, but i think unless the rainbow terrace has closed that is wrong - will check tomorrow am (she was probably just confused with rainbow lanai)

i may just be getting cynical, but make sure they give you benefits. today when i checked in i was not offered breakfast or internet or bottled water. i remembered to ask for internet at teh last minute, got teh tapa answer on breakfast and forgot completely about the water. i also had book a '10k bonus point plus bathrobe rate' where they are supposed to give you a voucher at check in for a robe and completely forgot about - was NOT offered it however. this has happened 1/3 times ive booked this rate previously (and at check out, they just say, well worry, we figured you got it at check in). so just a word of caution , have your check list ready!! i hope the staff havent been told to try to cut corners, though it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited by ffdom; Jul 20, 2011 at 11:04 pm
Old Jul 21, 2011, 3:11 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Eujeanie, you will have fun. HHV has teh best location without crossing a road or walking a block. It is right there on the beach - what else can one ask.

Many people want free this and free that so they are looking elsewhere (e.g., ES with free breakfast and huge rooms, but you don't feel like you are in a resort or on teh beach there as you are surrounded by buildings). All you see from Alii tower is the ocean and the beach - paradise.
And don't worry about the room. We were upgraded to a corner room (very nice!) but we barely spent any time in the room, nor did we notice that it was too worn... You're in Hawaii!!!! Who cares about the room?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Andriyko
All you see from Alii tower is the ocean and the beach - paradise.
And don't worry about the room. We were upgraded to a corner room (very nice!) but we barely spent any time in the room, nor did we notice that it was too worn... You're in Hawaii!!!! Who cares about the room?
When I was "upgraded" to a 3rd floor partial ocean view room in the Ali'i Tower, I thought I wouldn't care. Then I saw that the palm trees blocked whatever partial ocean view I had. The majority of the view was of the BBQ pit in the public park. I started caring right away.

For the few minutes I spent in the room, I didn't mind the decor though. I was sad to go but was much happier with the room in the Kalia Tower.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; UA GOLD 1MM; HILTON DIAMOND; HYATT EXPLORIST; MARRIOTT/IHGGOLD
Just to confirm rainbow VIP terrace is still open for breakfast, hard boiled eggs and all.

View does matter. Noise also can be quite a factor at hhv depending on what you want. If you're a light sleeper, sleep early or are on business some of the rooms can be very very noisy due to music from various bands and shows in different area. It can go quite late into the night. Again if you want to have Hawaiian music or don't sleep til after 11 you may not care.

As to decor and level of wear in the rooms, I guess it's a personal choice. For me it certainly does when matched against price - at a 169 a night rate I feel I'm getting an ok deal, at 249 other properties start being viable.

However, I agree completely with the posters above about location. Hhv is the perfect spot and for that reason I choose it for my 20+ nights a year in Hawaii
Old Aug 11, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: Delta 1M, SM Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I want to make sure I am on the right track...

I’ve read through all the most recent posts here and I just want to confirm what I think I've learned.

Heading back to HNL in November with Mrs. KGBREB, KGB (age 7) and REB (age 4). This will be the third year in a row we will be spending the Thanksgiving week in the sunshine of Oahu.

The last two years we have stayed at the Hilton Waikiki Beach (formerly Prince Kuhio) - which we have loved. For our young kids that end of the beach is nice (with the wall that breaks the big waves), we are always upgraded to a Executive Floor room with an ocean view (when paying the cheap-o rate), breakfast in the lounge is decent and the evening snacks are edible, and the place is basically empty.

As the kids are older, I want to try the HHV for half of the trip. I want to secure an ocean view room (not counting on an upgrade) and want to be close to the beach. Based upon the construction timeline, I'm thinking the Rainbow Tower is going to be close to completely renovated, and those rooms look like the place to be. For $250 a night I can reserve an oceanfront room in the Rainbow Tower, which seems like the way to go. If I'm in a renovated room on the oceanfront, that will be money well spent. I'd rather not book the resort room for cheap or use points as it seems the upgrades are hit-and-miss.

I'll know not to expect anything from my Diamond status other than breakfast in the lounge.

Am I missing anything? Anything else to consider?

Thanks.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA-1K/GS, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
I was looking at using points for this hotel and there seem to be no rooms available for award travel on any dates in 2012. Does this hotel allow award travel?
Old Aug 14, 2011, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by adisneyfan2
I was looking at using points for this hotel and there seem to be no rooms available for award travel on any dates in 2012. Does this hotel allow award travel?
I don't know why you can't see award nights, but I've stayed plenty of times on points.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by linsj
I don't know why you can't see award nights, but I've stayed plenty of times on points.
Do you have to search seperately for availability at these 'properties'? (I realize they are all in the same place, but my searches do not seem to give me availabilty across all of these categories...)

- Grand Waikikian Suites (Hilton Grand Vacations)
- Hilton Hawaiian Villages Waikiki Beach Resort
- Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Hilton Hawaiian Village
Old Aug 15, 2011, 1:55 pm

Just stayed there for a week at the end of July. As a gold, was offered upgrade to Rainbow Tower (however, could not get me a renovated room--and construction was ongoing). Instead, opted for the top floor of the Tapa Tower which was great with extra high ceiling. Super view of Waikiki and Diamond Head. Access to the Rainbow VIP continental breakfast. Very nice stay. Oh, and this was on reward travel.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA - 1K, Hilton - Diamond, Starwood - Plat
recent stay report

Had 2 stays at this property last week and wanted to share.

Stay #1, 22-24 Aug.
Diamond Member on points, traveling with 2 adults, 2 small kids.
Got an ocean view room in the Kalia Tower. There is constuction going on on the ground and it is a loud walk from the front desk to the Kalie tower.
The Tower itself seems to be the furthest away from everything and has its own separate valet and self parking entrance. The room was nice - I had reserved 2 double beds and they "upgraded" me to a King + Pullout sofa. The sofa is a single bed and not big enough for 2 kids, so I had to have a rollaway sent up. Thankfully, they opted to not charge me for it.

The room was nice, a bit worn, but still livable. The ocean view is looking out between the Rainbow and Lagoon towers - you're way far away, but it is still an ocean view.

Had breakfast in the Rainbow Tower lounge in the morning - they say it is for 2 people, but we had no charge for bringing 2 kids along with us to enjoy the food as well. Food itself - a small continental breakfast. Nothing spectacular.

We were coming back to stay again for 1 night the next week after some island hopping so I stopped at the front desk to ask about a better room. The clerk said no problem and asked where I wanted to stay - I told her just something closer to the main pool area for the kids to play in.

Stay 2, 28-29 Aug.
They put us in an oceanfront room in the Rainbow tower. The smaller the number (XX01, 02, 03, 04, etc) the closer you are to the beach. Odd numbers face Diamond Head.
We were put in 603, which was right smack dab on the beach. Not a renovated room.

Biggest gripe about the hotel - tipping expectations.

On stay #2, we pulled in to the valet and got out. I stood there for 2 full minutes next to the valet stand while 5 employees were standing there laughing and joking and counting their tips with each other. None offered to help unload the baggage even though we were the only car there. Finally, as my wife was pulling the last large suitcase out of the trunk and hauling it to the curb one of the valets came over and put the bellman tags on the bags and held his hand out for a tip.
I informed him he could move along and he said he was sorry I was having a bad day and didn't like him.

We checked in, wife and kids went to the room, I went to park the car and grab towels and stuff before heading to the room to join them.
It was about 20 minutes later that I got up to the room. When I got there, the bellman was standing outside my door waiting. Turns out.. He showed up right along with my wife getting in to the room to drop the bags off, my wife had no cash on her, and told him I would get him a little later. So he camped outside the room for 15 minutes waiting for me to show up.
Kind of awkward.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by marinedjp
Had 2 stays at this property last week and wanted to share.

Stay #1, 22-24 Aug.
Diamond Member on points, traveling with 2 adults, 2 small kids.
Got an ocean view room in the Kalia Tower. There is constuction going on on the ground and it is a loud walk from the front desk to the Kalie tower.
The Tower itself seems to be the furthest away from everything and has its own separate valet and self parking entrance. The room was nice - I had reserved 2 double beds and they "upgraded" me to a King + Pullout sofa. The sofa is a single bed and not big enough for 2 kids, so I had to have a rollaway sent up. Thankfully, they opted to not charge me for it.

The room was nice, a bit worn, but still livable. The ocean view is looking out between the Rainbow and Lagoon towers - you're way far away, but it is still an ocean view.

Had breakfast in the Rainbow Tower lounge in the morning - they say it is for 2 people, but we had no charge for bringing 2 kids along with us to enjoy the food as well. Food itself - a small continental breakfast. Nothing spectacular.

We were coming back to stay again for 1 night the next week after some island hopping so I stopped at the front desk to ask about a better room. The clerk said no problem and asked where I wanted to stay - I told her just something closer to the main pool area for the kids to play in.

Stay 2, 28-29 Aug.
They put us in an oceanfront room in the Rainbow tower. The smaller the number (XX01, 02, 03, 04, etc) the closer you are to the beach. Odd numbers face Diamond Head.
We were put in 603, which was right smack dab on the beach. Not a renovated room.

Biggest gripe about the hotel - tipping expectations.

On stay #2, we pulled in to the valet and got out. I stood there for 2 full minutes next to the valet stand while 5 employees were standing there laughing and joking and counting their tips with each other. None offered to help unload the baggage even though we were the only car there. Finally, as my wife was pulling the last large suitcase out of the trunk and hauling it to the curb one of the valets came over and put the bellman tags on the bags and held his hand out for a tip.
I informed him he could move along and he said he was sorry I was having a bad day and didn't like him.

We checked in, wife and kids went to the room, I went to park the car and grab towels and stuff before heading to the room to join them.
It was about 20 minutes later that I got up to the room. When I got there, the bellman was standing outside my door waiting. Turns out.. He showed up right along with my wife getting in to the room to drop the bags off, my wife had no cash on her, and told him I would get him a little later. So he camped outside the room for 15 minutes waiting for me to show up.
Kind of awkward.

That's really bad let alone a Diamond member, and I hope you wrote the hotel manger. But I will say that I have been staying at this hotel for 30 years and t one honest they do what they want to regardless. worst today because it's all about the money first service second.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA - 1K, Hilton - Diamond, Starwood - Plat
I would, but really what is the point of writing. I don't plan on being back to Hawaii for a few years, and the hotel has shown time and time again that they don't care.

I could write them, all I'd expect back is an automatic reply saying "thanks for the feedback"
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:22 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by marinedjp
I would, but really what is the point of writing. I don't plan on being back to Hawaii for a few years, and the hotel has shown time and time again that they don't care.

I could write them, all I'd expect back is an automatic reply saying "thanks for the feedback"
Again, agree, we started going back to HHV, the Rainbow is being totally renovated and it's really nice. Still a great "compound" with lot's of room, you can walk across the street for very reasonable breakfast, local been there forever! Try it.

As for the Hyatt write corporate those letters get attention especially if negative.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:01 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, LH SEN, TB Emerald
Did someone had some experience in getting an eStandby upgrade request on award bookings ?

Are they honored by the HHV ?

We want to try them around new years eve, but i'm unsure if it will work.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.