Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worst-run Hertz station?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2005, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
I can't recall any particularly bad experiences at any Hertz locations. One thing I do recall about MIA was that it was frustratingly difficult to find the rental car return drive. I must have made 4-5 circles around the airport, intently following the 'rental car return" signage which eventually led to... nowhere.

Edit to add:
I DO recall a particularly GOOD experience at St. Pete/Clearwater airport. Gentleman behind the counter couldn't have been more polite. As a 5*, I asked if there were any available upgrades whereupon he gave me a double upgrade since I was vacationing with my wife and two kids. Had the car pulled right up to the exit door for me, valet style. Great experience. I look back on it now and am kinda mad at myself for not sending a nice letter to him and Hertz Co.

Last edited by PSUhorty; Jul 26, 2005 at 3:35 pm
Old Jul 26, 2005, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by vatraveler
-gso-
Wow, what happened? I rented from GSO only once, but this one sticks in my mind as a positive:

Saturday morning, kind of dead, only one person working there, he's with a customer, and I go up to the Gold line and wait. He stops what he's doing, asks me if I'm a Gold member, I say yes, and he tells the other customer it will just be a second. He verifies my ID, hands me my paperwork/keys to an upgraded car which were sitting there all ready, and I was on my way.

I expected to be helped next, but I didn't expect him to stop what he was doing. ^
Old Jul 26, 2005, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Only bad HLE experience I've ever had was at the Marriott in SFO (I forget which Marriott). They had a "valet fee" of $10. Basically, it cost $10 - cash only - to get your rental car! There was no option to walk to your car and start it up yourself. You had to pay $10, which was (at the time) not disclosed in the rental agreement T's & C's.
I really, really hope you reported this to someone in OKC... that is BS.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 9:55 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec Elite, Delta
Dtw

UGH... I hate having to get cars at Hertz at DTW.

- RUDE Bus drivers - I've had drivers who couldn't even bother to get out of thier seat to take my name or help people with luggage.
- DIRTY cars - For crying out loud.. wash these things.
- Cars not ready. I'm 5* (like that matters) and I've had to wait for my vehicle more than once while people who aren't even gold are driving off the lot.
- RUDE Gold booth attendants - Had the opportunity to watch the Gold booth staff eat lunch while 4 Gold members waited to get service.
- Long waits to return vehicles.

This location SUCKS !
Old Jul 27, 2005, 12:10 am

Programs: Nothing fits in my travelling wallet any more...
For the past 2 weeks, I'd like to nominate DCA. They're normally at least average, but the past 2 Mondays when I've walked outside, my name hasn't been on the Gold board and there are 10-20 people standing in line for the Gold booth with exactly the same problem. Once we get up to the front, they start assigning random cars instead of the class booked. Last week I got an F-150 instead of a Mustang. Coworkers flying in on Tuesday of last week had to pay for their own cab to the IAD facility from DCA, to get a car in a different booking class than they'd reserved.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 10:37 am

Programs: Former DL Plat - 1 MM, CO Infinite Plat, MRT PLT
ORD. On several occasions I picked up cars with trash laying in plain sight on the floors, unwashed or half full tanks. Very indifferent employees.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 11:49 am

Programs: UA & SPG
BWI is the king of all locations.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by raisin
I've probably only rented in 20 or so places throughout the U.S., but I've had some nasty experiences at DAY. The lines have been horrendous and since everyone has to go to the counter at DAY, there's no way around it.
I've rented 15+ times at DAY and never had a problem like that. They never upgrade me (I doubt DAY even has "upgrades" though), and there's a small hike to the rental cars, but it's certainly better than a 5min shuttle like at the bigger airports.

Of course, I just moved back to Cincinnati, so I guess I won't be renting there anymore. Just parking.

-jd
Old Jul 28, 2005, 7:41 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
DEN and SEA

SEA I rented for six months in a row (different car every 2-3 weeks). Almost always a problem, almost always a Cavalier even though that's a "Compact" car and I rent "MidSize" (bad enough that Hertz sent me a voucher and apologized for SEA)
Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:38 pm

Programs: DL 1 MM/DM; HH Lifetime Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
I've had mixed reviews at ORD. Today ( at noon), my name wasn't on the board and had to go to the counter whose line was out the door (good thing for the Express line). Took about 15 minutes to get to the agent, who had to locate a car as none were immediately available (I reserved a midsize). Was told that it would be in stall #226. Get to the stall, no car. Had to wait another 15 minutes for my car to be brought to me. A Buick Century, no less. What an awful rental. Definitely the worst experience I've had as Gold.

However, my previous rental at ORD (late night arrival) was hasslefree and I had a Mazda 6. ^

Originally Posted by dhilpert
ORD. On several occasions I picked up cars with trash laying in plain sight on the floors, unwashed or half full tanks. Very indifferent employees.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 11:15 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by pitflyer
SEA

SEA I rented for six months in a row (different car every 2-3 weeks). Almost always a problem, almost always a Cavalier even though that's a "Compact" car and I rent "MidSize" (bad enough that Hertz sent me a voucher and apologized for SEA)
SEA is really bad for that - they constantly issue cars in the wrong class, or fail entirely to have a car ready at all, or issue a car in unsuitable shape (no gas, filthy, no keys, take your pick).

I have never received the car I expected in SEA, and the customer service when these discrepancies are pointed out is very poor.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 11:19 am

Programs: formerly UA GS, now lowly MM lifetime gold :(
LHR. Particularly for first time gold renters in the UK. Made reservation online, no mention that I could not get Gold privileges. Got to station and name was not on board so I go into the Gold counter. The rep there says he can not help me as he does not have a computer and that I have to line up in the main office. Cost me over an hour at the back of the line to get my car. Grrrr.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by osxanalyst
LHR. Particularly for first time gold renters in the UK. Made reservation online, no mention that I could not get Gold privileges. Got to station and name was not on board so I go into the Gold counter. The rep there says he can not help me as he does not have a computer and that I have to line up in the main office. Cost me over an hour at the back of the line to get my car. Grrrr.
Don't all first time gold members have to go to the desk for their first rental? I think they need to verify your license or something.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 6:38 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I would say PHL. Half the time I am not on the gold board. They always have a line at the gold counter, people not on board. Not sure what car I am going to get sometimes I get an upgrade sometimes not. Overall the people are rude and uncareing. I hate that location and go their twice a month. It gets even worse when winter comes. I do not like the layout of ATL with the split parking lot, but ATL is huge what can they do. On the plus side FLL always updrades me to a Jag or the new Lincoln.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:16 pm

My name wasn't on the #1 Gold board twice now at LAS. Both times I had to join the Gold line inside and put up with further delays while the agent called the Supervisor over to figure out why they dropped the ball. The second time this happened I pointed out the same thing happened before, but nobody said much, they just scratched their heads over it.

If I ever rent from Hertz in LAS again, I plan on directly phoning that office one day ahead and verify everything is in order to avoid another screw-up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.