Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worst-run Hertz station?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2005, 3:51 pm

Atl

Consistently had all sorts of problems and issues at ATL. I'm Gold (#1 Club Gold ?). Over the past four months have rented cars via a company travel agent at this location. Rent for one week every other week, generally arriving at the same time Sunday / Monday afternoon or early evening and returning late Thursday or noon-ish Friday. Have experienced consistently bad service, snippy staff, bad information, lines and problems.

First, I can not understand the value of the agents at curbside where the Hertz bus picks you up. Not once have they ever had my name in their handheld computers. Yet, it is has been 50-50 on having my name on the board. Even for those folks who it appears are in the handlheld computer, the curbside staff never tells you anything such as your space number. When you try and spell your name, give them your gold number, show them your gold card or give them your Hertz confirmation number, they just say don't worry about it, get on the bus and they'll take care of it at the counter (which counter?).

Second, at the counter, they never seem to care that they have a Gold member standing in front of them, in a business suit, with ever scrap of paper / confirmation information in hand, clearly a well worn briefcase and small rolling single-suiter. Nothing, I probably would get better service or attention just walking up and saying "Hi, I want to rent a car." It has gotten to the point where I recognize the counter staff and comment, in substance, remember me from last time . . . Nothing. Just a consistent, sorry.

Third, dirty cars. Fairly regularly I find someone's water (once, a beer) bottles, lunch bags, and other detritus beneath a seat.

Fourth, in writing, on the phone, on the web, I have consistently selected and set a preference for the fuel purchase option. I'm told that if the computers ever recognize this preference, I don't have to complete the paperwork at the check out / security gate. Yet, inevitably, I'm given the option and required to fill out the paperwork.

Fifth, security, are you checking IDs at the gate or not. Depends on the day, time, weather, moon?

Sixth, this airport was designed for the Olympics right? Olympics = one of the largest events on the planet right? Yet, the roads around the car rental area are so narrow, it is like a Portugese back street.

Seventh, snippy people at returns. I know it helps to have my contract at hand on return. But, sometimes it gets packaged away among my other papers. Do you really mean to tell me they can't pull my rental using one of the multiple bar codes stuck to the car much less the license plate number.

Eighth, buses back to the airport, why do they let them back up so much so you have to wait to get off.

It's just such a bad experience. I dread it more than ATL's luggage pickup area and TSA lines.

Or, maybe I'm just crazy.

Last edited by jsnydcsa; Aug 20, 2005 at 6:53 am
Old Aug 4, 2005, 11:35 am

Programs: Used to be elite in UA, SPG and Hertz...now I'm just a regular guy
Originally Posted by doogles
I've rented 15+ times at DAY and never had a problem like that. They never upgrade me (I doubt DAY even has "upgrades" though), and there's a small hike to the rental cars, but it's certainly better than a 5min shuttle like at the bigger airports.

Of course, I just moved back to Cincinnati, so I guess I won't be renting there anymore. Just parking.

-jd
And, I've only rented there a handful of times, at peak periods, but the experience at those times has not been good. Still, it could certainly just be bad luck on my part.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 2:31 pm

GPT (Gulfport, MS)

Work has had my flying to this location quite a few times lately...I have NEVER had a possitive experience here! This is one of those dreaded non-corporate locations. Three times they have "run out of cars because of walk ups" to which I replied "what is the point of making a reservation...Desk attendant replied oh, that lets us know you are coming. I eventually did get a dirty car these three times. On several other occasions, I have had to call Hertz 1800 # to help these idiots figure out how to rent me a car. It would probably be faster for me to just fly to MSY and drive the 80 miles!
Old Aug 20, 2005, 6:12 am

Programs: MP 1K, SPG Gold, WP Plat Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thagale
For the past 2 weeks, I'd like to nominate DCA. They're normally at least average, but the past 2 Mondays when I've walked outside, my name hasn't been on the Gold board and there are 10-20 people standing in line for the Gold booth with exactly the same problem. Once we get up to the front, they start assigning random cars instead of the class booked. Last week I got an F-150 instead of a Mustang. Coworkers flying in on Tuesday of last week had to pay for their own cab to the IAD facility from DCA, to get a car in a different booking class than they'd reserved.
That's silly to have paid for a cab. IAD/DCA/BWI are co-terminals. You can pickup and dropoff in any of those locations without paying a penalty or fee, regardless of which one of those stations you picked up the vehicle.

The smart thing would have been to take whatever crap DCA gave you, then drive to IAD and exchange it for what you really wanted, and not pay cab fare from DCA to IAD. I have done this several times when the jerks at IAD gimme crap. I'll simply drive the rent-a-wreck from IAD over to DCA and trade it in for something better.

--b
Old Aug 20, 2005, 6:18 am

Programs: MP 1K, SPG Gold, WP Plat Elite, Hertz PC
My vote goes for IAD. Those people know nothing of customer service and would rather send you off to their competitors instead of actually helping you. I lost count of the number of exchanges I've had to do because the idiots at IAD gave me a vehicle that wasn't roadworthy.

A recent experience tells it all. I reserved a Lincoln LS with NeverLost and they gave me a car with 200 miles on the odometer. Upon exiting the airport, I discovered the NeverLost didn't work. I brought it back and exchanged it for another Lincoln LS (this time with only 6 miles on the odometer), and drove to my destination. After starting the car up again to drive back to IAD, the NeverLost was dead.

When I returned it, I made a complaint about it, and demanded that they remove the charge for NeverLost from the rental and rebate me $20 for the hassle of having to have had to return the first rental due to their sloppy maintenance. The guy behind the counter looked dumbfounded and called a manager who refused. I had to get really loud and angry and cause a scene in front of a long line of folks waiting to rent before she relented and rebated me a whole day.

The nightmares at IAD go on and on...

--b
Old Aug 21, 2005, 12:51 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
While I've had good experiences at IAD, I have never had to visit their counter. Thanks to gold service I guess.

I would say the worst location is wherever I need to visit a counter.

My personal worst has been in PHL -- but usually it's just a time thing, they take a long time to do anything. I usually skip the return bus back to the terminal in PHL and walk to the terminal because they are always so slow it takes less time to walk accross the parking garage and back to the terminal.

But if you think customer service at Hertz is bad, try any other car rental counters! I finally gave up on National after using them exclusively for many years. When I switched to Hertz a couple years ago it made a big difference overall.

I just think customer service is dead in most places.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 8:27 am

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, AA, NW, Hertz Gold 5*
My worst experience was at TPA, and while I wouldn't ordinarily assume that my one experience there was characteristic, many of the issues seemed systemic -- they weren't going to change from day to day. First off, the real benefit to #1 Gold membership at any level is getting to the car and getting on your way more quickly. The upgrades, free rental day certificates, etc., are nice, but even if Hertz didn't offer them I'd continue to go with Hertz most of them time for that benefit alone. Unfortunately, TPA has no Gold Canopy area, so you have to go to the counter along with the rest of the great unwashed. I arrived at a peak time (approx. 9 am on a Monday morning) to find fifteen people in front of me in the Gold express line. There were only about five in the "regular" line. Against my better judgement, I got in the Gold line, since there were two agents working the Gold line and only one on the other, and I figured since everyone in the Gold line was, presumably, Gold, that they'd be able to process the rentals more quickly. Wrong. The guy who was second in line when I got there promptly got into a verbal battle with the agent -- never did figure out exactly what his beef was, but he ended up on the phone with customer service while he was standing there, and all the brouhaha was too much for the other agent working the Gold line, who repeatedly stopped what she was doing and stared at him while he ranted. So essentially both lines were at a standstill for ten minutes or more. When I finally got to the counter, I might as well have been a newborn with no history with Hertz whatever -- had to go through all the BS I used to when I rented from whoever was cheapest a couple of times a year.

On return, I found the layout of the return area quite confusing. I was directed to a particular queue by a guy in a security uniform, who promptly disappeared. I pulled up to the end of that line, which was 50-60 yards at least from the front of the line, got my stuff out of the car, and waited for the return agent. And waited. And waited. No sign of anyone. I finally walked as far as I dared with the car left unattended in the direction I'd last seen the security guard. I eventually found him again, and he pointed me back to the car to wait for the return agent, who had just reappeared near the front the of the line and was standing around chatting with someone else. I went back to the car, and waited. More waiting. Eventually, the security guard yelled to get her attention and flagged her over toward me. In all, it probably took me 25-30 minutes to return the car -- fortunately, I had plenty of time before my flight, but I wasn't pleased.

After the trip, I sent an e-mail to Hertz customer service about my experience. The response was pretty much what you'd expect -- they apologized for the inconvenience, pointed out that my travel agent should have alerted me that TPA has no Gold Canopy area, promised to pass along my comments to the station manager, and gave me a free rental day cert.

BDL has had a problem with having my car ready on both of the occasions recently when I've rented there, but once was during last winter just as yet another winter storm was starting (after two major ones in the preceding week), so I cut them a certain amount of slack.

I generally don't have problems at MEM, but I have noticed that the Gold booth is never staffed. This bit me on one recent trip when I arrived to find my name wasn't on the board. It was a very busy afternoon, with at least 30 people in the regular line and no one working the Gold express line when I initially went inside. One of the agents moved over to that line fairly quickly, however, and five of us queued up with me bringing up the rear. I noticed quickly that the agents all seemed puzzled by the mysterious absence of the guy who was supposed to be in the Gold booth (which amused me, given that I've never seen anyone in it). When I got to the counter I found out that they'd pulled my reservation and reassigned my car because they'd received a notification that my flight had been cancelled. They reinstated the contract and had me on my way fairly quickly, but it would have been much easier if the booth guy had been where he was apparently supposed to be; my wife and daughters had to wait at the terminal for quite a while longer than they should have while I got it all sorted out.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 9:41 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Before moving to the area, IAD treated me fine and gave out a number of complimentary upgrades to boot. Now that I live in the area, I don't have a need to rent cars there anymore, so I can't say much about them.

CLE was a mixed bag; the car was only 3/4 full when I picked it up on one occasion, but marked as full on the rental forms. The guy at the gate grumbled about the "idiots" who had let that happen and noted that I only needed to return it 3/4 full on my agreement.

ROA's counter staff are clueless; they often advise me to "call ahead" and make sure my reserved car is available, "because we're not due to get anything in tomorrow at all." I've yet to take their advice and have always had a car waiting. They also seem to not understand that they have a gold counter for gold members.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by SealBeach
I'd also vote for Cleveland Hopkins Airport, where employees are spectacularly indifferent, cars are dirty, and Neverlost vehicles aren't assigned properly. And apparently none of the rental car firms there are complaining loudly enough about the horrific common bus service between the terminal and the rental lot because it just keeps getting worse and worse (as if a remote rental car facility was needed in Cleveland in the first place...)
I agree on the CLE buses. The shock absorbers must be filled with concrete. I complain monthly. Even the buses they added this year are shot to sh*t 6 months later. The drivers are bizarros. One gives a spiel like he's a pilot and thinks he's funny. Another insists that men remain on the bus while ladies get off first, regardless of how inconvenient that turns out to be.

And talk about poor placement of the Rental Car Facility! Sometimes impossible to enter the interstate and cross 4 lanes in 1/4 mile to stay on 480 East. Just as impossible to cross 2 lanes of airport traffic in 1/2 mile on 480 West to exit at Grayton road to return the car.

When someone coined the phrase "mistake by the lake", it was the rental car facility he was referring to.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I agree on the CLE buses. The shock absorbers must be filled with concrete. I complain monthly. Even the buses they added this year are shot to sh*t 6 months later. The drivers are bizarros. One gives a spiel like he's a pilot and thinks he's funny. Another insists that men remain on the bus while ladies get off first, regardless of how inconvenient that turns out to be.
Gee, and I thought I'd heard and see everything at CLE one time when the driver gave the microphone to a couple small children so they could sing "The wheels on the bus go round and round..." half way from the terminal to the rental car facility.

One would think the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce (I assume there is one) would insist that business travelers not be exposed to such as this...
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:24 am
dawei

I have had bad experinces at HNL

Old Aug 31, 2005, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
ORD - It's like they run only one bus a day. I'll wait at the UA terminal while 2 or 3 Avis and National buses go by. Finally the Hertz shows up, and it is standing room only.

DTW - For the reasons posted prior. VERY poor gold service.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 1:27 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Mci

Every time I rent there I get:

High milage car
Dirty car
crappy upgrade
Dirty/crappy shuttles

and the return aisle is uncovered, I've been soaked twice hiking to the shuttle.

This past week, I found a crown vic waiting for me with dead bugs covering the windsheild, the carpeting was black, it reaked of cig smoke and it had 19,700 miles on the od.

I went in to get a different car. After waiting fifteen min., the best they could do was a Le Sabre with cloth interior even though the lot was full of Exploreres, TCs and other CVs and GMs.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 2:13 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rackensack
My worst experience was at TPA, and while I wouldn't ordinarily assume that my one experience there was characteristic, many of the issues seemed systemic -- they weren't going to change from day to day.
TPA is consistently the worst for me ... on a related note, what is the largest station that only has #1 Club Gold Counter (i.e., not even a separate booth in the garage), Tampa has to be near the top of that list.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 4:05 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
CDG Terminal 1 - Hands down

Rented a Mercedes there. Got to the car, which was filthy, inside and out, dented all the way around and was missing two hubcabs. Requested a different car, was told none were available.

Requested a supervisor, was told it would take 30 minutes. Said I'd wait, turned out the supervisor was standing at the end of the counter watching. Was then told they'd see if they could find me another car, but I'd have to wait for the shuttle to Terminal 2. Waited 40 minutes, turned out the agent who told me there were no other cars was also the shuttle driver. The shuttle was sitting there the whole time. Was driven over there as the only person on the shuttle.

Got to terminal 2, and there were no fewer than 20 new Mercedes with no damage sitting in the lot. Could take my choice.

On my return to the airport I turned the car keys in at terminal 1, the same agent on duty. I expressed my dissatisfaction at the service I received when I arrived. His comment? "You got a car, so what's your problem?"

Danville 1K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.