ARCHIVED "Renting Cars on Maui - Options, Questions, Suggestions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVED "Renting Cars on Maui - Options, Questions, Suggestions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2015, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
No, they won't bring a car to your hotel, AFAIK. Call your hotels and ask if there is a car rental office on site, or close by. What hotels are you staying at?
Over the course of our stay, we'll be at the Grand Wailea, Montage and Four Seasons. I believe GW has a National car rental, FS uses Budget, and Montage doesn't have any on-site rentals. Typically when we go, we use cabs for most of it, but rent a car for a few days (sometimes separate days) when we want to go somewhere more out of the way. At one time we booked a car for the duration of our visit, but we always found that it ended up sitting in the hotel garage (racking up parking fees) most of the days, so it was a waste of money.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 4:38 am

Hi there,

I am a first time visitor @Hawaii and in the USA, will be on Kauai and on Maui. We are travelling as a family of 4, i.e. 2 adults and 2 children (11y and 13y).

So could you please help me finding out which category I should choose for car rental.
We will have 4 pieces of luggage and maybe 1 or 2 handbags.

Mid-size SUV ? Fullsize? Just need the car to get from the airport to the hotel and to drive to the supermarket or restaurant etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Genesis321
Hi there,

I am a first time visitor @Hawaii and in the USA, will be on Kauai and on Maui. We are travelling as a family of 4, i.e. 2 adults and 2 children (11y and 13y).

So could you please help me finding out which category I should choose for car rental.
We will have 4 pieces of luggage and maybe 1 or 2 handbags.

Mid-size SUV ? Fullsize? Just need the car to get from the airport to the hotel and to drive to the supermarket or restaurant etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!
I'd rent a Full Size (Chevy Mailbu or similar). You're not gonig to drive around the Islands and see all the beautiful sites?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by philemer
I'd rent a Full Size (Chevy Mailbu or similar). You're not gonig to drive around the Islands and see all the beautiful sites?
Thanks for you reply. Yes, of course, I will drive around the island. I just wanted to point out, that I do not need a 4wd car or so. I am not familiar with the US rental car categories, as the categroies in Europe are different.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Thanks for you reply. Yes, of course, I will drive around the island. I just wanted to point out, that I do not need a 4wd car or so. I am not familiar with the US rental car categories, as the categroies in Europe are different.
I can't speak for Kauai, but I don't think there is a road on Maui that would require the use of 4WD. At least not one that tourists should be on. I don't know that I would even rent a car on Kauai, but that's just me.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seaduck79
I can't speak for Kauai, but I don't think there is a road on Maui that would require the use of 4WD. At least not one that tourists should be on. I don't know that I would even rent a car on Kauai, but that's just me.
How would you see the beautiful Waimea Canyon w/o a car? And the beaches/hiking trails on the north shore?

On Maui you don't need a 4WD.

Check hotwire.com for decent rates too.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:04 pm

If I am renting in a foreign market and am unsure of some of the car types, I typically google the example model that is listed in the category I am considering. Typically you can find a wikipedia or some other article that will identify the equivalent model in your local market.

When I'm in Hawaii I like to splurge on the tourist-special convertible - but that may not work well with a family.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by seaduck79
Well, there's really no other way to get around Kauai, other than its little shuttle bus service that seems like it would be an epic PITA.

I can attest from first hand experience, there are some off road trails and some beaches that require 4WD on Kauai.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
Well, there's really no other way to get around Kauai, other than its little shuttle bus service that seems like it would be an epic PITA.

I can attest from first hand experience, there are some off road trails and some beaches that require 4WD on Kauai.
I don't doubt you at all. It's just that there is more to see on Maui that is accessible by car than on Kauai, and cars are cheaper on Maui. I'd have to weigh the cost of renting/parking/feeding a car on Kauai against the cost of paid excursions and such. Plus, if I went to Kauai, it's because I want to do a lot of not much. I'm more likely to stay on the resort more of the time than on Maui.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: QFF NB, Velocity Silver, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred, Thrifty Blue Chip (Oz), Europcar Privilege Exec.
Looking renting a good handling fun car at from OGG/Maui for a few days in July.

Best option seems to be a Mustang convertible from Avis for US$111 per day including LDW and ALI. A Mustang coupe from Avis is 50% more expensive and a Camaro SS (which I've driven several times), is 2.5 times the price! It appears the Mustang coupe and Camaro are guaranteed cars, whereas the Mustang convertible is or similar. Hertz are even more expensive again, with a Chrysler 200 convertible about US$100 a day and a Mustang conv. about US$180 a day.

A few questions:

Avis Mustang convertible - how likely is that I will get a Mustang convertible? How likely will it be a 2015 model? What other models are possibilities? Any Camaro's? (I know I can drive them [I'm 6'9"] and like them). Any chance of a V8?

I can also get a premium car for about US$80 a day from Avis - noted as 300C or similar. What cars are in this group?

Anything else I might get that's fun? Any chance of a Chevy SS?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by AdMEL
Looking renting a good handling fun car at from OGG/Maui for a few days in July.

Best option seems to be a Mustang convertible from Avis for US$111 per day including LDW and ALI. A Mustang coupe from Avis is 50% more expensive and a Camaro SS (which I've driven several times), is 2.5 times the price! It appears the Mustang coupe and Camaro are guaranteed cars, whereas the Mustang convertible is or similar. Hertz are even more expensive again, with a Chrysler 200 convertible about US$100 a day and a Mustang conv. about US$180 a day.

A few questions:

Avis Mustang convertible - how likely is that I will get a Mustang convertible? How likely will it be a 2015 model? What other models are possibilities? Any Camaro's? (I know I can drive them [I'm 6'9"] and like them). Any chance of a V8?

I can also get a premium car for about US$80 a day from Avis - noted as 300C or similar. What cars are in this group?

Anything else I might get that's fun? Any chance of a Chevy SS?
I know that the Mustang Convertible is pretty much the default fun tourist vehicle on Maui for those who don't mind paying for it. So the agencies have lots of them available. I don't recall seeing many Camaros there. Have you considered going to Dollar? They might have the same car for less money than Avis.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 4:56 am

Searched this thread and most recent comment I found on Advantage car rental was from 2012, and positive. I have reserved a car with them through hawaiidiscountcarrental for a week in February. Their rates were the best. Any more recent experience with them? I have used National on Maui but no experience with Advantage. Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by travelpye
Searched this thread and most recent comment I found on Advantage car rental was from 2012, and positive. I have reserved a car with them through hawaiidiscountcarrental for a week in February. Their rates were the best. Any more recent experience with them? I have used National on Maui but no experience with Advantage. Thanks!
I did not have a problem with Advantage. The full size car we rented did have a large dent when we picked it up, which agent noted and I also documented. Car was $116 for the week.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Wiki Wiki Rentals

Anyone have experience (good/bad/whatever) with this car rental source?
Old Jul 2, 2016, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BH62
Anyone have experience (good/bad/whatever) with this car rental source?
Never heard of them. Are they in Honolulu?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.