Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2016, 2:22 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Second to that 100%, very rarely anyone on the seat next to me, only if the flight is sold to the max. capacity which is very rarely on my routes/preferred flight times. Even on EF I can often see the seat as "x" next to me so at least on short haul the blocking seems to be there.

About long Y I have no idea or even desire to know but I'd find it strange if they didn't block the very undesirable middle seats next to top tiers, if there was room on the plane..very cheap perk for the airline, after all..
Originally Posted by SPBanker
Last year (or maybe 2014? time flies) I flew AY52 in Y, check-in agent said that the seat next to me was blocked.
While I am not often in Y, I always found it odd that so many other travellers attested to seat being blocked. For me, the seat is free at most 50% of times.

So I just assumed the block was something percieved and in reality didn't exist.

But with these two posts, I must start to wonder again.

At no time have there been a X on the seat next to me in EF for my flights.

So it seems seat block exists but only for select members.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:31 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
While I am not often in Y, I always found it odd that so many other travellers attested to seat being blocked. For me, the seat is free at most 50% of times.

So I just assumed the block was something percieved and in reality didn't exist.

Very sorry to hear about such inconsistency with this, especially if there is supposed to be a policy in place, which I really don't know..

My experience over the last ca. 15 years as a AY Tier member is that this "blocking" thing has been there almost the whole time. At times I have also asked/requested at checkin if the seat next to be could be blocked but haven't really done that in years as real checkin is very rare thing today anyway...and those 3rd party CI staff are often more clueless than a random security officer at any given outstation when it comes to actually knowing the AY system...so I cannot really come to any definite conclusion here other than saying the "system" - whatever it is, just seems to work and quite happy with it, too

Maybe the AY Plus Rep. could share something about this..?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
My experience over the last ca. 15 years as a AY Tier member is that this "blocking" thing has been there almost the whole time. At times I have also asked/requested at checkin if the seat next to be could be blocked but haven't really done that in years as real checkin is very rare thing today anyway...and those 3rd party CI staff are often more clueless than a random security officer at any given outstation when it comes to actually knowing the AY system...so I cannot really come to any definite conclusion here other than saying the "system" - whatever it is, just seems to work and quite happy with it, too

Maybe the AY Plus Rep. could share something about this..?
My experience is also that seat blocking works normally very well. However, economy comfort is exception to this and finnair does not offer seat block there.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:57 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Here are screendumps from an upcoming flight. No block visible in expertflyer and making a dummybooking for one status pax and for one non-statuspax, there is no problem at all for them to select seat next to me.

I did this experiment on 3 separate bookings and none of them have X in EF nor have a block in ay.com

So all of you who do get blocks, could you do the same experiment and make sure there really is a block. 'cause this is getting ridicolous.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 30, 2016, 5:21 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum

Same experience here - not consistent and never showing X next to me in the EF. I can see X for some of my flights and on board they are indeed empty then so maybe it is the other Platinums who get these.

Platinum VIP tier which has this as a official benefit?

Edit: I forgot one time, just when they announced "Boarding completed", at the same second I was able to see how in EF the seat next to me turned into X. First and only time I have had X next to me.

Last edited by miikka; Dec 1, 2016 at 12:35 am Reason: Forgot one example of X in EF
Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:24 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
I don't have a Y booking to check that now, it could be they do some pre-blocking closer to departure / when checkin / seat selection is about to open for general public w/o payment?

I don't think we can get a conclusion on this w/o AY making a statement, which is unlikely at best as this has never been disclosed of being any kind of perk to begin with.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
OSL-HEL today, load maybe 40%. Extremely rushed service, they almost ran through the cabin. No newspapers handed out. When drinks come, I order some water and NF. "I didn't check the papers but I assume you are platinum." Ok, that's one way to do it.

But service consistency? Hah.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Today HEL-AMS and AMS-HEL. Both ways a 90% full plane, empty seat next to me, newspapers offered discreetly just after takeoff.

I guess I'm one of those select members.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
HEL-CDG, newspaper was offered just before newspaper sale, which itself started maybe a little later than usual. Complimentary drink was offered proactively during normal service! While I have no problems getting the drink previously, it was never proactively offered (except on AA).
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
AY912 TXL-HEL JAL OWE

I was welcomed aboard and offered a selection of newspapers before take off.

Once the service commenced I was offered a welcome drink (two champagnes) and anything else I wanted from the cart.

Which was really nice gestures. I sent a nice note to customer relations praising the crew.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 1:18 am

Thought I'd post a positive comment as well. HEL-CPH today was flawless. Empty middle-seat, selection of newspapers offered, and I'm sure a drink would have been fine as well. I declined that as it was a morning flight, so coffee and water was fine.

I overheard a discussion between the FA and another plat where the plat didn't want a drink but only a sandwich. He had to pay for the sandwich, but the FA agreed there wasn't any logic in that he could get a 12€ NF for free, but had to pay for a 7€ sandwich.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 1:51 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by niksal
... Empty middle-seat, ....
Was it blocked or empty by chance?
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:07 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by niksal
Thought I'd post a positive comment as well. HEL-CPH today was flawless. Empty middle-seat, selection of newspapers offered, and I'm sure a drink would have been fine as well. I declined that as it was a morning flight, so coffee and water was fine.

I overheard a discussion between the FA and another plat where the plat didn't want a drink but only a sandwich. He had to pay for the sandwich, but the FA agreed there wasn't any logic in that he could get a 12€ NF for free, but had to pay for a 7€ sandwich.
Indeed a AA style drink and snack would be super but stilll the free drink is better then what ba will be offering next year
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SK *G, Hertz President's Circle
BMA-HEL AY984

No newspapers offered. When I asked for the drink and it was handed over, the FA asked me if I was plat and I said yes. She said they hadn't had the chance to put together a list. No charge for the drink. No empty seat next to me but the flight did seem full.

HEL-ARN AY649

The purser came to me in the latter parts of boarding and welcomed me by name as a BA Emerald. She offered me a newspaper and offered her apologies as there wouldn't be alcoholic drinks due to the length of the flight. The seat next to me was free and presumably blocked as it was an emergency exit row seat.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 1:19 pm

Was it blocked or empty by chance?
Can't say. There were a number of empty seats so could have been by chance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.