Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Joint ventures making it difficult to book Finnair metal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Joint ventures making it difficult to book Finnair metal?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
You could try the BA website's MMB tool, and if that doesn't help, try other OW carriers.

A call to AY will sort it out, too, of course.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:02 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
BTW anyone who knows if earnings to japan on AY is still zone based (8500 km) or now is rewarded from actual distance?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Courmisch
In my understanding, the JV members are sharing revenue. So presumably, it does make AY money anyway. And that tends to confirm Intuition's... well... intuition that AY is now branded as the fastest and most expensive "premium" choice within the JV.
I am not so sure that AY would get a penny on a JL coded BA metal LHR-NRT - but I don't have a real clue about the JV details.

And I am perfectly happy to give JL a try in C for NRT-HEL - may not be the most expensive, but equally fast as AY
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by intuition
BTW anyone who knows if earnings to japan on AY is still zone based (8500 km) or now is rewarded from actual distance?
As per here, it's still zone based

https://pointshop.finnair.com/partner.php?cPath=719_324
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:43 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Ah, yes of course. The codeshares are km based (as always) so there are even a few centimes to save for AY if AY+ cardholders choose JL flights...

As for the agreement between the three, they repeatedly call it a "revenue sharing agreement". I read somewhere that it is shared based on capacity offered but can't find a link to it right now.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 6:38 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Just adding another bizarre effect of the joint venture:

BA is currently selling 2-for-one in business, offering LON-TYO at around 1250€ each. And guess what routing they offer at this price? AY73/74 obviously.

Just can't understand this joint venture where all the other partners can dump prices to Japan, and AY keeps prices high.

Actually, AY is offering discount Y at 1150€ right now for same dates. The purpose of this JV must be to kill off the AY+ program...
Old Nov 28, 2014, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is the AY price ex-LHR or ex-HEL?

As we now, ex-HEL pricing has nothing to do with realities. Now that I flew a few times direct HEL-Far East again, I do appreciate flying direct, but would never be ready to pay the prices they want for these direct flights. Luckily I have a bunch of shorthauls that can be combined to bring the total prices to a realistic, 2k€ or so levels.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 12:33 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

The AY price is ex CPH, so not as bad as ex HEL but not a perfect comparison. (I didn't research BA ex CPH as they are not an option for me).

But I'll be damed if I'm going to pay AY 1150€ for a "discounted" non-refundable, non-flexible 25% miles ticket for junior, just for the delights of being allowed to use my points to upgrade him, when BA can put fully paid J pax on the exact same plane for that price.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
It also seems that Finnair.com fails to price open-jaw tickets with one of the two lips in Japan, even on itineraries that OTAs can price (in Y at least).

Which brings me to... is there any OTA that offers Value fare basis where available? (so not to/from Japan)
Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:53 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

i think expedia will get you VALUE if you tick the "only changable tickets" box.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:22 am

Expedia only gives me the option of "refundable" tickets. By the look of it, that books into full flexible economy, or "Pro" in Finnair parliance - not semi-flexible / Value.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:11 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Yeah, I meant the "refundable" option, but I see from a dummy booking on expedia that one can't tell what one is booking: I get fareclass V but that doesn't say anything - If I got to AY both BASIC and VALUE books into V on that day.

My latest VALUE ticket is booked via expedia, and then I'm not sure how I did it. On a day with V availability in BASIC and VALUE and H availability in PRO expedia now returns "No flights available" if I ask for refundable tickets. If I don't ask for refundable, I get both the BASIC and VALUE fares (judging by the prices).

Maybe something changed again.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:50 am

I have booked several times on Expedia(.fr), and I never ever got a xVAFI2 fare at the end, systematically xBAFI2

VA is more expensive than BA and Expedia does not seem to have an option to force semi-flexible fares. I suspect you got VA because BA was no longer available on your flight, such that VA was the cheapest option.

The only OTA I know that shows the fare basis before payment is Kaleva/CWT. But I could not find a way to force VA fare there either
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:04 am

eBookers.fi at least started explicitly stating the ticket type: "Finnair BASIC" for BA(sic) and just "Finnair" for PR(o). But no luck finding VA(lue) there.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:34 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Simple question: How Do I buy 100% AY-tickets to US from EU?

All AY offers are 50% or then they are H or B ... -stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.