Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Joint ventures making it difficult to book Finnair metal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Joint ventures making it difficult to book Finnair metal?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by intuition
Adding a label for K,M,P,T will just upset the mighty BA. It will not happen. These are the names agreed upon in the JV, and BA is the one who decided it all.
I may be clueless but isn't JAL the largest player here? AFAICT, BA has just two 777 services from/to Tokyo daily. Or does the JV only cover HEL and LHR on the European side?
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:17 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
JAL has 12% of traffic Japan-Europe while Finnair has 8%. So yes, JAL is the larger player. BA has 4%.

Strange how they let BA decide all.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by juanfc
Slightly OT, often when booking in JAL site tickets from HEL to Japan they push me to buy the AY operated flights. Almost always they appear as the default option, even when the price is the same as the JL operated flight.
au contraire, juan. I think this is very much on-topic.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:31 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I cannot book AY code on JAL.com. They mostly list JL-flights, including a vast number of codeshares. But no AY flightnuber as far as I can see.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:34 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

And since most here don't earn on AY, maybe I need to explain: this is important because if it is not AY code, the earning is half of what it would have been. Personally, I'm not interested to earn 125% of miles when I can earn 250%.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:51 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

As for the I-fares that cannot be combined with AY on both in&outbound when there is BA-availability, this seems to be a trouble with AY webpage. I have now found example itineraries where some OTAs can book all segments on AY flights and still do fare calculation with I.

Still extremely annoying, and not sure if it is a bug or intended behaviour. Pushing people to use TA for simple bookings is money lost (both for AY and me).
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Courmisch
Now someone needs to ask a real travel agent if the ticket types fares are completely discontinued, or merely hidden (I guess discontinued).
I had 100% tickets when flying to New York in may. Finnair site is showing only those flexible tickets, but it seems that travel agents can book 100% tickets.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 2:01 am

Programs: AY Plat
Originally Posted by reflektia
I had 100% tickets when flying to New York in may. Finnair site is showing only those flexible tickets, but it seems that travel agents can book 100% tickets.
What is the point of this? I've been booking my own tickets for years. Now I should call a travel agent? Like Kaleva or something? "Computer says no"?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Benzin
What is the point of this? I've been booking my own tickets for years. Now I should call a travel agent? Like Kaleva or something? "Computer says no"?
Company policy.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by Benzin
I think there are two points. On the one hand, the new fare structure is most certainly required by the terms of the joint venture. and the website just follows. On the other hand, the Finnair "value" fare has almost no advantage over the joint venture "saver" fare, except for the mileage; so the value fare would now be of interest to much fewer customers than it previously was.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: AY Plat
Originally Posted by Courmisch
I think there are two points. On the one hand, the new fare structure is most certainly required by the terms of the joint venture. and the website just follows. On the other hand, the Finnair "value" fare has almost no advantage over the joint venture "saver" fare, except for the mileage; so the value fare would now be of interest to much fewer customers than it previously was.
And if I want to get better miles I need to call a travel agent? How 80's..! "Designed for You", HAH! Hey Reflektia, was the price for your 100% ticket about the same as the Value ticket used to be, just 20-30 EUR more expensive as the cheapest Basic?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 5:39 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

I have noticed quite a few difference in the JV fares compared to AY fares. Did you spot something too? We can list it here, if there are difference that one need to watch out for:

Fee for change/cancel
Business saver ticket used to have a 25% cancel fee and a 150€ change fee. On the JV fares the change and cancel fee is flat 200€.
So if you are on cheaper fares the semi-flexibility is much more expensive now than before. If you are on a high price business saver and wants to cancel the fee is substantially reduced.

Fees waived
Rules for waived fees are much more strict. Death in family is not included in reasons for waiving cancel fee anymore.
'Denied visa' is no longer included either, which makes buying ticket on "speculation" very risky. For anyone being citizen of countries with 'visa on arrival-agreement' the change doesn't matter, but for other citizens this is big trouble.

Refunds
Old fare rules stated explicitly that UNUSED YR/YQ FEES WILL BE REFUNDED. This rule has been removed. I'm not sure if that means that YR/YQ never is refunded or what.

Re-routing
Rerouting was specifically not allowed in the old fare rules, the JV fares allow more changes : A CHANGE IS A DATE/FLIGHT/ROUTING/BOOKING CODE CHANGE.

Name change
Old rules allowed for name change, but this rule has been removed. It is unclear to me what is allowed on JV fares, it says
TICKET IS NOT TRANSFERABLE TO ANOTHER PERSON
and also
NAME CHANGE ON AY/BE OPERATED FLIGHTS - CONTACT CARRIER FOR DETAILS

Some name correction (spelling) is allowed but only on AY-flights?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:36 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
This is not directly JV related but as I do not like unnecessary topics I steal this a bit...I thought I knew everything about OW reservation systems/codes etc. that an ordinary traveler should know...clearly my "ego is writing checks my body can't cash" (legendary movie quote).

Anyway, I have an AA booking on AY metal (and solely on AY metal) but I cannot find the AY/Amadeus booking ref. from any normal source..naturally I can always call AY but thought some (more educated!) expert here knows the answer

Thanks,
Old Jun 18, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Anyway, I have an AA booking on AY metal (and solely on AY metal) but I cannot find the AY/Amadeus booking ref. from any normal source..naturally I can always call AY but thought some (more educated!) expert here knows the answer

Thanks,
AA has their own res system with alphabet IDs. Afaik you would need to call AA, not AY.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 4:08 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by remymartin
AA has their own res system with alphabet IDs. Afaik you would need to call AA, not AY.
Yes I know the difference in systems, they use Sabre, AFAIK, not Amadeus. Most likely also AY can see it by name/date/flight details but I just thought if there's some secret online tool somewhere

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.