Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Joint ventures making it difficult to book Finnair metal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Joint ventures making it difficult to book Finnair metal?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2016, 2:46 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
FWIW, name change was not possible on these Japan tickets I have. It was new to me. Just a data point.

Also, while looking around some tickets due to pax changes I tried to find out alternatives, I found that HEL-LHR-NRT/HND-KIX was cheaper on JAL business than AY HEL-KIX. What an amateur move from me to go pass that mileage opportunity

Oh well, talk about China network strategy. Seems that Japan it is for AY still, given that they added also FUK. Go figure. OTish comment, nevermind...
Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by TTL
Problem almost solved by positioning first to ARN (or nearly anywhere else but Finland). One week in Tokio using AY metal in B-class (economy flexible) for 17027 SEK = €1830.
I'm doing the same ex-ARN, except that it's I bucket (pointy end of the plane ) for 2300€ or so (and finishing in Central Europe)
Old May 23, 2016, 1:28 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
IB to be included

Last week, Finnair released this news:
The first step has been taken to enable Iberia to join British Airways, Finnair and Japan Airlines (JAL) in their successful joint business on flights between Europe and Japan. JAL has submitted its application to the Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MLIT) seeking antitrust immunity with Iberia to cooperate on flights between Europe and Japan. Iberia has already announced the launch of a new non-stop flight between Madrid and Tokyo Narita, which will start from October 18, 2016. The four airlines intend to cooperate commercially by sharing revenue and by coordinating flight schedules and fares in order to offer greater benefits to customers travelling between Europe and Japan.
So IB is to be included in the Japan joint venture.

First of all it is difficult to understand what IB will be able to offer spanish customers that isn't already readily available through other OW partners. Sure, a direct flight, but flying time compared to the AY option can't be that much of an improvement.
http://www.gcmap.com/map?P=mad-nrt;m...X=540x540&PM=*

Secondly, what benefit will this offer non-spanish "customers travelling between Europe and Japan"? Finnair will start to promote the HEL-MAD-NRT route on their website? From CPH we will get yet another mad option CPH-LHR-MAD-NRT?

I just wish they would cut the BS about "greater benefits to customers" when we all know this is only about limiting competition and controlling the price.
Old May 23, 2016, 2:29 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by intuition
Finnair will start to promote the HEL-MAD-NRT route on their website? From CPH we will get yet another mad option CPH-LHR-MAD-NRT?
If the price is right, that sounds like a great MR
Old May 23, 2016, 2:56 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I flew IB a330 J in October and thought the service was stellar, with excellent rums onboard. The only negative was the ridiculous Internet package.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: Finnair Plus Platinum, OW emerald
I am glad I found this peace of discussion!

Has anyone been contacting Finnair or heard anything new regarding this? Or has great hacks yo overcome the fact that there are no 100% (value) tickets available to Japan and US?

This is actually idiotic system for Finnair plus customers. There is no chance to get 100% with finnair to these destinations with reasonable price. You can buy cheap 50% ticket. You can get 100% with partners but not finnair where no biz upgrades with finnair points.

I want to go to US and Japan but keep selecting other destinations to get points and be able to use upgrades 😆
Purjelentaja likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:07 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
The joys of dominant players being allowed to create a cartel.

Vote with your feet.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:15 pm

I guess that really is a valid option. Selecting another OW carrier top tier wouldn't atleast make things worse.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by Rifter
I am glad I found this peace of discussion!

Has anyone been contacting Finnair or heard anything new regarding this? Or has great hacks yo overcome the fact that there are no 100% (value) tickets available to Japan and US?

This is actually idiotic system for Finnair plus customers. There is no chance to get 100% with finnair to these destinations with reasonable price. You can buy cheap 50% ticket. You can get 100% with partners but not finnair where no biz upgrades with finnair points.

I want to go to US and Japan but keep selecting other destinations to get points and be able to use upgrades 😆
You might consider positioning to LED for Value tickets. Stupid, but possible.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Kinda related, I just thought about my upcoming premium economy booking I have pending. Irrespecive if I book BA or AA or AY for TATL, the earnings are 100% points -> I think then the better way is to choose, instead of AY code, either BA or AA code on the LHR-USA sector, since then there is a chance to find a fellow FTer whom I might find nice enough to reach out with an SWU for business (is there similar mechanism for BA?), right?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by on22cz
You might consider positioning to LED for Value tickets. Stupid, but possible.
Positioning at LED is a bit problematic considering the need (or alleged need) for travel documents.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Positioning at LED is a bit problematic considering the need (or alleged need) for travel documents.
That's exactly where I pointed with the last sentence. However, if there would be more trips in a year, paying once for a multiple entry 1-year visa could pay-off. Everyone's math, though.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Courmisch
I think it's visa-free if you book this, even if on different bookings:

AY/DY/SK HEL-ARN
SK ARN-LED (S7 possible as an alternative to SK seasonally two days a week)
AY LED-HEL
AY HEL-XXX

You might be unable to move your bags from SK to AY in LED without a visa. If you do the HEL-ARN-LED-HEL circle quickly, then you may be able to check in the bags in HEL for the HEL-XXX flight before leaving HEL for the first time. Might not work at all in the other direction due to the luggage problem.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:40 pm

Hmmm... even with Visa + train expenses I could see me doing the LED-HEL-US/Canada flight. Thanks for tip!

100% points and reasonable price if one can afford the lost time 🤔
on22cz likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:56 pm

For Value, try booking JFK-HEL-NRT instead of just JFK-HEL or HEL-NRT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.