Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:22 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Yes, should work out fine. I stay with 2 daughters 3 times now.
The sofa pulls out into a bed for your older child and I guess you could ask for a crib for your younger child. Pool doesn't have a true kiddle pool but its heated so should be fine if you are holding them. Post and specific questions you have and I'd be glad to reply. Room has a microwave and reasonable sized refrigerator for heating milk for your toddler.

Originally Posted by love2ft
Does anyone have any recent experience or advice about staying here with young children? I have a toddler and a nine-year-old.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:38 pm

Stay Report; 7 Days, June'12

3rd Stay at the hotel for 7 days in June.

Check-in: No issue. Had combined 2 free night certs with paid stays for an Ocean Front room. They were nice enough to combine the reservations which gave us Ocean Front for free night certs which was great.

Restaurant: I'm not a big fan of Ko's Restaurant. The desserts are the part I enjoy more. I asked to redeem visa electronic dining certificates from my wife's account for dining. They ended up redeeming a duplicates from both my our accounts. Plus for breakfast we had 3 bills for one day. It took over 45 minutes across 2 trips to the front desk to get this straightened out. Much longer than normal as they wanted to physically pull the receipts to look at them. One said we left without paying yet another from the same day was from us. Ko's is the only restaurant to use certs at as Nicks Fish Market isn't ran by Fairmont.

Pool: Temperature is quite good as well as the seating policy of 2hr hold times. What I don't like is its highly understaffed and you can wait over an hour to flag someone down to get you food or drinks. Servers stop to talk to people for 10-20 minutes chit chatting away while people wait. This would be great if they had enough workers, but they don't. Was also charged full price for a beer during happy hour. I let that go based on the extended time it took to get the other issue with billing resolved. Instead, just walk around to the pool bar to get your own drink... I don't tip when I do that and purposely mention if they had people working because I waited over 20 minutes and nobody came around.

Beach: Excellent. Free umbrella but you need to be there or they will free it up for the next person. I guess this is good, otherwise people would just put their stuff there in the morning and block them for the day.

Local Transportation: Really a great service allowing you to goto great snorkeling places nearby without driving yourself. Makena Beach was great and you can call a local place to reserve a Kayak for the morning (call the day before). The only bad part is you need to be there by 7AM as they only hand them out before they start their tours. Another beach is Ulua Beach. Really great too. Looks Like Hyatt is opening a Andaz right behind the beach which might increase traffic a lot next year and deteriorate the coral

Spa: Its still not a Willow Stream Spa yet but they said its converting to one by next year which will be great. Then the passion certs for a mani or pedi will be able to be used there.

Last edited by TravelGuy1965; Aug 9, 2012 at 12:06 am
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Will take ownership of 4 free night certs from the CC (2 for me, 2 for fiancee/wife) soon and plan on using here. Questions:

What room do these book into? Fairmont King Suite? That's the lowest I see. Or maybe Mountainside or Garden View?

If booking into one of these, do I use the Suite or room upgrade? I thought I saw I have to use the suite upgrade a few posts ago. Since I would already be in a suite, it can get a lil confusing. Plus, do I provide that on arrival or note it in advance?

Would I be required to use two suite upgrades since they are from different accounts? I'm thinking this might be at the hotel's discression.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 3:44 pm

Given both are certificates they should be able to join the two reservations such that you can use one of your room upgrades to apply to all 4 nights. That would likely get you a partial ocean view (with the room upgrade).

What they can't do is join cert stays with paid stays into one reservation.

Originally Posted by mrredskin
Will take ownership of 4 free night certs from the CC (2 for me, 2 for fiancee/wife) soon and plan on using here. Questions:

What room do these book into? Fairmont King Suite? That's the lowest I see. Or maybe Mountainside or Garden View?

If booking into one of these, do I use the Suite or room upgrade? I thought I saw I have to use the suite upgrade a few posts ago. Since I would already be in a suite, it can get a lil confusing. Plus, do I provide that on arrival or note it in advance?

Would I be required to use two suite upgrades since they are from different accounts? I'm thinking this might be at the hotel's discression.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965
Given both are certificates they should be able to join the two reservations such that you can use one of your room upgrades to apply to all 4 nights. That would likely get you a partial ocean view (with the room upgrade).

thanks! any idea what room the free nights book into, initially?
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
make a dummy booking and the lowest priced suite you see is what they book into: http://www.fairmont.com/reservations/select-room/ When you are ready to make a rez. call Fairmont & use your suite u/g to get a partial ocean view suite. This is what I did. The first rep. said I could only u/g to a Garden View so I called again. The 2nd one said I could u/g to a POV. Since it's an all-suite property I'm not sure if you can use a room u/g cert.

See my experience here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18898663-post358.html
Old Aug 8, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
3rd Stay at the hotel for 7 days in June.

Check-in: No issue. Had combined 2 free night certs with paid stays for an Ocean Front room. They were nice enough to combine the reservations which gave us Ocean Front for free night certs which was great.

Restaurant: I'm not a big fan of Ko's Restaurant. The desserts are the part I enjoy more. I asked to redeem visa electronic dining certificates from my wife's account for dining. They ended up redeeming a duplicates from both my our accounts. Plus for breakfast we had 3 bills for one day. It took over 45 minutes across 2 trips to the front desk to get this straightened out. Much longer than normal as they wanted to physically pull the receipts to look at them. One said we left without paying yet another from the same day was from us. Ko's is the only restaurant to use certs at as Nicks Fish Market isn't ran by Fairmont.

Pool: Temperature is quite good as well as the seating policy of 2hr hold times. What I don't like is its highly understaffed and you can wait over an hour to flag someone down to get you food or drinks. Servers stop to talk to people for 10-20 minutes chit chatting away while people wait. This would be great if they had enough workers, but they don't. Was also charged full price for a beer during happy hour. I let that go based on the extended time it took to get the other issue with billing resolved.

Beach: Excellent. Free umbrella but you need to be there or they will free it up for the next person. I guess this is good, otherwise people would just put their stuff there in the morning and block them for the day.

Local Transportation: Really a great service allowing you to goto great snorkeling places nearby without driving yourself. Makena Beach was great and you can call a local place to reserve a Kayak for the morning (call the day before). The only bad part is you need to be there by 7AM as they only hand them out before they start their tours. Another beach is Ulua Beach. Really great too. Looks Like Hyatt is opening a Andaz right behind the beach which might increase traffic a lot next year and deteriorate the coral

Spa: Its still not a Willow Stream Spa yet but they said its converting to one by next year which will be great. Then the passion certs for a mani or pedi will be able to be used there.

This is a nice report. Thanks.... I have found local trans to be hard-so I always rent a car, but maybe I like to drive too much too
Old Aug 8, 2012, 11:57 pm

In what way was it hard for you? I used it about every other day across my 3 stays. The most interesting is when I ask them to bring me to Grand Wailea Quite often I reserve a room for one night there so the kids can have 2 days in the pool playground. My wife says its to see friends. My kids just say, oh that's our other hotel

I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes for departure and ~15 minutes for a pickup.

Originally Posted by twoner32
This is a nice report. Thanks.... I have found local trans to be hard-so I always rent a car, but maybe I like to drive too much too
Old Aug 9, 2012, 12:03 am

Actually then don't book into the lowest price category. They book into a Fairmont Room and there is one lower category @ Kea Lani that shows up every now and then. Its funny - if you call and ask for a room and only the lower one is available - but not the standard fairmont room - you can't book certificates with many agents.

Originally Posted by philemer
make a dummy booking and the lowest priced suite you see is what they book into: http://www.fairmont.com/reservations/select-room/ When you are ready to make a rez. call Fairmont & use your suite u/g to get a partial ocean view suite. This is what I did. The first rep. said I could only u/g to a Garden View so I called again. The 2nd one said I could u/g to a POV. Since it's an all-suite property I'm not sure if you can use a room u/g cert.

See my experience here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18898663-post358.html
Old Aug 9, 2012, 12:14 am

They book into the standard fairmont which is view of "Overlooking neighborhood side streets & landscaping" or "The one-bedroom Fairmont Mountainside Suite offers a view of the majestic Haleakala" from feedback I've had. The room upgrade then takes you to partial ocean view.

After applying the room upgrade through Presidents Club you could also email the hotel in advance and ask if they have an upgrade option to Ocean View after that. Likely cost could be $50 - $75 USD a night but it doesn't look like this question works consistently from the data points I have.

Old Aug 9, 2012, 5:38 am

They book into the standard fairmont which is view of "Overlooking neighborhood side streets & landscaping" or "The one-bedroom Fairmont Mountainside Suite offers a view of the majestic Haleakala" from feedback I've had. The room upgrade then takes you to partial ocean view.

After applying the room upgrade through Presidents Club you could also email the hotel in advance and ask if they have an upgrade option to Ocean View after that. Likely cost could be $50 - $75 USD a night but it doesn't look like this question works consistently from the data points I have.
sounds like a good plan. anyone have recommendations as to which part of the property to try to get a partial or ocean view suite?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, FPC lifetime Plat, Kohls MVP

Hi Mr. K.

I have made cert stay w/ paid stay on a single reservation twice at Kea Lani w/ no problems. So it is possible or at least it was when I last did it a few months ago.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: United 1P; Delta GM; SP Gold; AS MVPG; FPC Premier
Dining certificates - kea Lani or orchid?

We're fortunate enough to be spending some time this month at both the Kea Lani and the Orchid. I think I saw someone say the dining cents can't be used at Nick's at the Kea Lani. So where would you use them if you were going to be at both resorts? I'm not too familiar with the dining options at either.

Thanks
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Exec, Marriott Silver
Nick's is basically a restaurant that happens to be located at the Kea Lani. Ko will probably be your best bet. It just went through a pretty extensive renovation and re-opened earlier this year. You could also go for the Kea Lani Restaurant, but I think you'll find Ko as a better option. Here is the dining section of their website...

http://www.fairmont.com/kea-lani-maui/dining/
Old Aug 25, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
This is not true. I have combined cert stays with paid stays for at least the past 3 years and my reservation for this coming winter has them combined as well into one reservation.

I'm not sure why people keep talking about which upgrade certificate to use here. Why use any? As was discussed earlier in this thread, if you use a good Virtuoso agent to book the reservation, then you'll get a guaranteed upgrade plus daily breakfast for two thrown in at no extra charge. This property in particular values the Virtuoso program and gives great upgrades. Once again for my upcoming reservation my virtuoso agent has gotten me a confirmed 2 category upgrade, from pov to deluxe ocean view. Not only that, the rate I'm paying for the pov is $80/night less than what the rate for that room category was on the website at the time he booked it for me.

If for some reason you do insist on using your upgrade certificate for the single category upgrade it will give you, you must use a suite upgrade certificate as it is an all suite property. The room upgrade certificates aren't valid at the Kea Lani.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.