Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2013, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by blase
Something shady going on with this hotel over Valentine's Day. I'd like to use my two free nights at the Kea Lani on 2/14-2/16. The website says NO availability. However, when I try for 2/14-2/20 (put these days in by accident as I thought I was looking at the Orchid) it shows that a King Mountainside Suite is available. So how can it be available for 2/14-2/20 but NOT available for 2/14-2/16??

Not to mention when I try to book a room through other avenues (MR, UR, using Aadvantage miles) it shows rooms being available.

I even called and they told me there are no rooms available for those two nights. Is this practice normal (i.e. no rooms on their own website, but "selling" rooms to third parties that show as available)?
My guess would be that the hotel has imposed a minimum stay requirement for all bookings made via the website/GDS/similar channels, and this restriction may not be applicable when booking via any of the points portals you mentioned.

Just a guess, but such restrictions are imposed my many hotels during the holidays/special dates.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
That week also includes President's Day on Feb 18th, and would explain why the hotel set a minimum stay.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:33 pm

Villa upgrade

Currently at the keal lani. Originally had a mountainside suite confirmed using my free nights and suite upgrades. Upon check-in asked about an upgrade. We were offered a 3 bedroom villa for $500/n. We previous stayed in the villa during renovations a year ago and payed around$1100.00/n. we took it because we love the villas!!!( and I am on a business trip). The hotel is near capacity currently.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Dia SPG Gold Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by somogyi03
Currently at the keal lani. Originally had a mountainside suite confirmed using my free nights and suite upgrades. Upon check-in asked about an upgrade. We were offered a 3 bedroom villa for $500/n. We previous stayed in the villa during renovations a year ago and payed around$1100.00/n. we took it because we love the villas!!!( and I am on a business trip). The hotel is near capacity currently.
Was that an additional $500/night, or $500/night total?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by qbrain
Was that an additional $500/night, or $500/night total?
Each night was $500 for a total of $1000 for a 3 bedroom ocean view view for two nights
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:42 pm

Same experience as others. Redeeming 4 nights of Chase certs here (mine + wifes). Originally booked into a mountain view, called to apply suite upgrade and was upgraded to Garden View. I have called 3 times to inquire about a Partial Ocean View suite to no avail. Even offered to pay the difference in price...they said it cannot be done.

With that said, is it a waste of a suite upgrade to go from Mountain view to garden view?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I contacted them and asked to use 2 suite upgrades to get the better view and they agreed. They confirmed us into partical ocean but we ended up with full ocean.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I contacted them and asked to use 2 suite upgrades to get the better view and they agreed. They confirmed us into partical ocean but we ended up with full ocean.
We are using our other suite upgrade at the Fairmont Orchid for the last part of the trip.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by pickles1107
We are using our other suite upgrade at the Fairmont Orchid for the last part of the trip.
Definitely a much better use for the certificate.

SG
Old Feb 10, 2013, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Snow Goose
Definitely a much better use for the certificate.

SG
I agree!
Using in conjunction with a 3rd night free cert, I booked a winter saver room rate of $279 for 2 paid nights. Cheapest suite available now for my dates is $1054/night.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Dia SPG Gold Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by pickles1107
Same experience as others. Redeeming 4 nights of Chase certs here (mine + wifes). Originally booked into a mountain view, called to apply suite upgrade and was upgraded to Garden View. I have called 3 times to inquire about a Partial Ocean View suite to no avail. Even offered to pay the difference in price...they said it cannot be done.

With that said, is it a waste of a suite upgrade to go from Mountain view to garden view?
Are you calling the hotel directly or the Fairmont reservations? Are ocean view rooms available for your dates?

Dealing with the hotel directly, if there are rooms available, I am surprised they won't offer you a paid upgrade. If there is a strong possibility of selling out, it makes sense to hold ocean view rooms back. Maybe the policy has changed since the last time I booked a room, or maybe the upgrade policy at the hotel specifically excludes Chase free nights.

I have never stayed in a Mountain or Garden, but the suites are almost all identical (the Kilohana suite is different in that it has more windows and a wrap around lanai). My guess, looking at the http://behindthecockpit.files.wordpr...4/img_2595.jpg is that the lowest level would be overlooking the parking lot while the next level up would be looking north from the north wing or south from the south wing. Not going to have much view, but on the north side, you will be able to enjoy a shaded balcony all day when you want to get out of the sun. Each semi circle on that map is a lanai, so there are no rooms where there are no semicircles.

I always have leftover suite upgrades, so waste wouldn't be the word I would use. It certainly isn't an awesome value saving hundreds of dollars a day.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by qbrain
Are you calling the hotel directly or the Fairmont reservations? Are ocean view rooms available for your dates?

Dealing with the hotel directly, if there are rooms available, I am surprised they won't offer you a paid upgrade. If there is a strong possibility of selling out, it makes sense to hold ocean view rooms back. Maybe the policy has changed since the last time I booked a room, or maybe the upgrade policy at the hotel specifically excludes Chase free nights.

I have never stayed in a Mountain or Garden, but the suites are almost all identical (the Kilohana suite is different in that it has more windows and a wrap around lanai). My guess, looking at the http://behindthecockpit.files.wordpr...4/img_2595.jpg is that the lowest level would be overlooking the parking lot while the next level up would be looking north from the north wing or south from the south wing. Not going to have much view, but on the north side, you will be able to enjoy a shaded balcony all day when you want to get out of the sun. Each semi circle on that map is a lanai, so there are no rooms where there are no semicircles.

I always have leftover suite upgrades, so waste wouldn't be the word I would use. It certainly isn't an awesome value saving hundreds of dollars a day.
I tried once with the central reservations and twice with in-house reservations. We are checking in on Easter, so maybe there is some merit in holding rooms back(?) Partial ocean view rooms are still available on the website direct ($709/night).

I mentioned that I knew of other people using the suite upgrade cert to get into a POV room, the nice lady told me that they recategorized the suites and now have a suite tier that wasn't there before. They also told me that ordinarily I could "pay the difference" (my words, not theirs), but not when redeeming the Chase certificates.

Both in-house reservationists happily made notes on my reservation requesting an upgrade to POV at check-in.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:22 am

Programs: British Airways
<deleting out of date information>

Last edited by pancakex; Jan 17, 2022 at 11:26 pm Reason: <deleting out of date information>
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by pancakex
I doubt I'd stay at this property again until they renovate the rooms, not just the pools/restaurant areas. (And no, Fairmont - I don't consider nice linens to constitute a renovation.)
The rooms were renovated in the last two years or so. To each his own, but I think the rooms are very nice and I love this property.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think there are two issues here:

-The hallways are dim and institutional and feel like a WWII bunker.

-The rooms are pretty fresh and large and new(ish) and are quite nice.

You spend a lot less time in the hallways, depressing as they are. I'm OK with the trade-off.

I have to say, I just got back from my second trip there, with kids, in one suite. It really works quite well. And I think I even prefer the grounds to the 4S and the Grand Wailea. At the 4S everyone is packed in like sardines at the pool (with that ridiculous and loud fountain in the middle), although they do have great restaurants. And at the Grand Wailea, there is no serenity at all, although for very young kids, the water features might be nice.

I'd be happy to do the Fairmont again, no question.

Biggest problem there was actually the water pressure. I'm sure they could change it, but likely have it low for conservation reasons. But it is LOW. And coupled with their creamy soap, you feel like you need an hour in the shower to make any progress.

And, yet, I'm sure the water saved in the sinks and showers is nothing in comparison to how much they use to wash the barge-load of pool towels they go through everyday.

Tip for sandy swimsuits: use the bath faucet. It has real pressure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.